Question for all

DaisyAnn

Cathlete
I need honest opinions please.

Do you all think that a person in their 30's is too OLD to go to school and get a degree? Is it wasting money? Does the risk of not finding a job after school out-way the benefits?

x(

i am almost 30 and plan on going back to school. i don't think its a waste of time, whether finding a job or not(which i don't think would be a problem). for me its to "right a wrong" of dropping out of college at a young age and feeling i was lucky enough with the opportunity but now that i could have a second chance, i want to take it.

kassia

http://www.picturetrail.com/ldy_solana

"And do what thee wilt as long as ye harm none"

I went to college and got my degree in Business Management when I was in my 30's. I went to classes while my kids were in school. My kids are now out of school and I have a career that I love. In fact, next spring, I'm going back for more and I'm now in my 40's. It's NEVER too late! I say go for it!!!!:)

30 is absolutely not too old!!! I'm in my fifties and am thinking of going back for a doctorate. You are NEVER TOO OLD!!!!! All kinds of doors open when you have a college degree. Chances are you'll want to go back for your master's degree. Best of luck. I know if you get a degree you will be very successful.

I got my BA when I was 45

"You can't win them all - but you can try." - Babe Zaharias http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/musik/music-smiley-004.gif[/img]

Does anyone know anything about Health Care Management? Thinking about a BA in Business/Health Care Management...

Absoultely NOT!! If you have a passion and desire to do something, by all means, DO IT! There is no such thing as "too old" in my mind! A good friend of mine always wanted to be a veterinarian. Well, after much perserverance, she finally got accepted to veterinary school at age 37!! I'm very happy for her and proud of her for not giving up!

NO WAY!!! I went back to school when I was 33. I worked two jobs and took a full class load (I was an English major, so there was lots of reading and some major writing-intensive classes). It was hard, but I graduated with honors- it is the accomplishment that I am proudest . (And, belive me, job interviewers are very impressed with the dedication it takes to get a degree when you do it later in life.)

I'm now a proposal manager in a Fortune 500 company (it took a while to get there- hey, even after you get your degree, you'll still have dues to pay, but the door of opportunity opens a little wider because of it). Even if my job wasn't that great, what I learned from going back to school was priceless...about the subjects I studied and about myself. I think there's an advantage to going to school when you're older; you're doing it because you REALLY want to (and, if you're like me, you really appreciate it more when you're paying for it yourself and it's taking up your very precious time!)

I remember a Dear Abby letter once, where someone said something like, "But if I go to school now, I won't get my degree until I'm 50." Abby replied, "And how old will you be if you don't get your degree?"

Go for it, give it your best, and get your degree in something you love, not necessarily what you think will get you a job. And always remember that it's never a waste of money to learn and better yourself !!!

Good luck!!!!

I hope not. I will be 37 this month and am planning on going back to school to become a certified nutritionist.

If it is truly what you want, it is NEVER too late. Good luck!

Lea

I don't think it's too old to go back and get a degree if that is what you want. It would help if you are considering changing careers or improve on your current position/salary.

Personally, I could never complate returning to university to study for another few years, simply because I hated my student days: I was not particularly motivated, the student drinking and pub life never suited me. When I left I never found that my degree helped to better employment.

It depends on what you want to study and what you want to do, some jobs absolutely require certification.

I wish you luck with your degree though.

Yen

No way!!

My mom went back to school at 48 and became a dental hygenist. She then went back at 50 to learn Spanish and is now bilingual and works for the state of California giving talks in Spanish to immigrant mothers about the state's dental plan and how to care for their children's teeth.

It's never too late for an education. And anything that's learned is knowledge and knowledge is never ever a waste.

You are NEVER, EVER too old!! My grandmother went back to school at 79 years old and got her degree at 82!! She has never been happier. DO NOT let society dictate what/who you should be. Be your own leader.
If you want to go back to school...DO IT!!!!

jenni

No, going back to school in your 30s is not too old. Lots of people do it. But as to your question about finding a job -- I'd definitely do the research and find out what sort of a demand there is for the field you're interested in. Then you personally have to weigh the risks that you want to take and go from there. I'd say go for it!

Hi,

I'm 36 and finishing my doctoral studies this year. I hope it's not too late to get a job, because otherwise I've wasted a lot of time and money.

Sandra

Hi,
I am in school now to FINALLY complete my undergraduate and am 34. I don't feel a person is ever too old, but depending on the college attended, it can feel that way. I transferred from a huge university to a very small private one. I am the only student in my classes that is over 22, and has a family to consider. It has caused some problems with professors expecting outside work to be done at a specific time, etc., but I have been fortunate to have empathetic professors. I had a much easier time fitting in at the large university because diversity was viewed as an asset.

I won't lie and say that it is easy, but older students are much more conscientious and centered. I have learned a lot through this process and wouldn't trade that for anything. I encourage you to pursue your goals because you will age regardless, but what you do within those years is what matters.

Good luck!

I'm 45 and I'm going back to school to get my Bachelors in Information Technology. My first class starts Oct 26!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.