Question for all you runners

I cant stress enough about the right shoe for you!!!! I had some chronic knee issues and started developing some hip pain. I had a "good" pair of Saucony running shoes....however when they were getting worn I went to actual running shoe store and had my gait analyzed.....turns out my Saucony were the completely wrong shoe for me. I've since been running in my Mizuno's and after the second run my knee and hip pain were gone!! Certainly made me a believer!!

So funny- I did it exactly backwards when I started running. I was using CardioCoach for speed-walking at the time, which I hated. So I started running the shorter intervals instead of walking them. I LOVED sprinting! So I did that for the first 6-8 months of running - pretty much nothing but intervals and sprinting. I just couldn't run slow - the long slow run was completely beyond me and endurance, well, forget it! Then I joined the new runners check-in and started doing Couch to 5K. It started me on the path to endurance running and helped me learn how to run long and slow. Now I love both kinds. My favourite run is starting out with a nice comfortable easy run for 15-30 minutes to really loosen me up, then following it with a matching period of time of 20/30-second all-out sprints. You'd be surprised how fast you can sprint after such a comprehensive warm up. I have created 13 CC premixes that I use for HiiT running. They're brutal and SO MUCH FUN! It just plain feels good to do all-out sprints for short intervals-it feels like that's what my body was made to do.

So funny- I did it exactly backwards when I started running. I was using CardioCoach for speed-walking at the time, which I hated. So I started running the shorter intervals instead of walking them. I LOVED sprinting! So I did that for the first 6-8 months of running - pretty much nothing but intervals and sprinting. I just couldn't run slow - the long slow run was completely beyond me and endurance, well, forget it! Then I joined the new runners check-in and started doing Couch to 5K. It started me on the path to endurance running and helped me learn how to run long and slow. Now I love both kinds. My favourite run is starting out with a nice comfortable easy run for 15-30 minutes to really loosen me up, then following it with a matching period of time of 20/30-second all-out sprints. You'd be surprised how fast you can sprint after such a comprehensive warm up. I have created 13 CC premixes that I use for HiiT running. They're brutal and SO MUCH FUN! It just plain feels good to do all-out sprints for short intervals-it feels like that's what my body was made to do.

Maybe that's the way to start, I always find running so dreadfully boring, that & swimming, & bicycling, yada, yada, yada....I used to enjoy the swimming & biking...never really caught on to the the jogging, but at one time it did make the swimming & biking easier-better.

:)

I think the endurance is the thing to work on now. I think your DH was just being supportive and interested. Say, thanks for the input but I'm just going to work on my endurance for now.

No big deal.

As for the shoes, seriously? tennis? Do you know that I have at least four pairs of shoes? Two indoor cross trainers, two out door pairs of running shoes. One on road and one for off road. My feet hurt for you just reading this.

My favorite breathing style is one breath for four steps. Breathe in, four steps, breathe out for four steps. Rapid breath yoga helped improve my breathing dramatically. That might take you to the next level with the running.

Stephanie0523 one other note...

I didn't jog for any real amount of time, but did fall into the 1 breath for every four steps almost right away, and was comfortable with that, it did work for me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.