question for all the runners

Michele S

Cathlete
New and old runners:

Just curious what you have found to be the biggest change in your body because of running. I am starting a beginners program yet again and am looking for some motivation!

TIA!
Michele

Unlike Judy my bottom half didn't get a lot smaller, but it became much more solid---although my calves did get smaller.

Also, my endurance (both cardio and leg strength) increased by quite a bit, making things like Cathe's Imaxes or other blasts much easier.

Have fun!

Mattea

Running has definately helped to slim down my legs. My calves in particular are about 1 inch smaller each due to running! Although I don't have the #'s to back this, I firmly believe I dropped some body fat since running as well. I gained some definition in my abs since I started to run and believe it is because runnig helped me to lose some of the fat there. My abs were already in good shape pre-running. You just couldn't see the muscle as much b/c of the fat over them. I still have a ways to go but this is what I have noticed so far...:)

BTW, I've been running for about 10 months now...

I do feel running has helped my lower body slim down. I also have increased my endurance greatly, especially after a running a few marathons....The increased endurance does help in many of Cathe's cardio workouts...:)

Yep, I'm with Carole!! Definitely helped slim down the thighs, but for some reason makes my calves get bigger (I have pretty muscular calves anyway!)

And I have definitely increased my endurance a LOT.

Take it easy, don't increase your mileage too fast, & STRETCH.

I love running. I started a program on my own around June last year. It's great when you can feel your endurance improving. The best way to measure your progress is to enter races. That way you can accurately determine your pace to see if it's improving. I liked running for hours and ran my first half marathon last Thanksgiving. I was hoping to run a couple more this spring, but I've been sidelined with a tibial stress fracture and won't be able to participate in any high impact activities until at least the end of March :(

As far as changes go, I didn't notice much difference in my body shape or composition, but it's definitely the best cardio exercise for me.

Hey Cathy!

>Overall fat loss and serious leg muscles. :)
>
>Cathy

Are you doing a lot of weight work for your legs, too?

RE: Hey Cathy!

Hi:

I've seen a slim down in my legs/hips and also a major increase in the definition of the front of lower legs between my knee and foot. ( can't remember the actual muscle name at the moment..not enough coffee yet this AM :)

I can't say I've seen increased definition in my calves personally, but that is just me.

I do like what running has done for my hips/thighs... I'm naturally a pear, and its helped balance out my upper body w/ lower proportionally.

I run 3x week usually... logging 14-20 miles/week total.

Lynn M.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.