Question about workout definitions

tricia

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I was talking to my husband today about what type of workouts he can do on his new equipment he got. He's a little unsure whether he should try Slow & Heavy, Push/Pull, Supersets, or what. Do you have the definitions of these workout types listed anywhere or could you do a quick breakdown for us? Just something to say what type, what it is best used for (i.e. Maximum muscle building, or muscle maintenance, etc.) I am going to post this in the workout room.

PS - Anyone that knows an answer, please feel free to post! I'd love to have this feedback.

Thanks,

Tricia

I would say that the Slow And Heavy Series is the one most geared to building absolute strength and muscle mass, in part because it is a split-set series where you spend each workout working only a couple of muscle groups, really focusing on them.

The Push-Pull and Supersets workouts, because they are each total-body workouts rather than split-set training like S/H, are more geared to upper-end muscle maintenance and endurance. Of course, much depends on what weight loads you are using.

HTH - I'd be interested in the opinions of others as well.

A-Jock

I have always used the push pull series in splitting up my workouts into two "push" days, and two "pull" days. My push days consist of various presses (our push exercises) such as bench, shoulder, tricep, etc. My pull days consist of various pull exercises, such as Pullups, curls, deadlifts, rows, etc. I would disagree on the "slow" and heavy style of training. When I have my "heavy" days of training, I do lower repetitions (2-4, 5-8) with heavier weights, but I am still using explosive movements (still trying to push/pull the weight up as quickly as possible. I will at times do endurance training, where as I do higher repetitions (12-20) with lighter weights. Depending on what types of acivities your husband is training for. For strength and speed, I would do training that would assist fast twitch muscle fibers (Whole nother ball game) (explosive movements). For general fitness, he could vary the types of training, incorporating both types of exercises. John

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.