Question about "steps per day"

firemedic

Cathlete
I've read a lot about how it's important to get 10,000 steps per day, but does that include any workouts? Or is it 10,000 steps plus any workouts? I just want to make sure I'm moving around enough each day but I still like to get my 1-2 hours of workouts in and I don't want to include them if I'm not suppose to. Thanks for any responses.

Kim

I've aways taken this to be a guideline for a minimum of movement we should be doing each day. Movement is NOT the same thing s exercise. Movement is the antidote to the negative effects on health of the sedentary lifestyle. You can do a 5 mile run every day or workout with weights, but if you are sitting for the rest of the day or only walk from the computer to the fridge, the negative effect of the latter outweighs the benefits of the former.

So, I prefer to count as much movement int my day as possible, and my exercise session is separate: it is the bonus.

Clare

I'm with Clare. I'm getting an activity tracker but I'm not going to wear it during my exercise time. My goal is to make sure I'm not overly sedentary during my regular day-to-day activities, hoping that my normal life can involve somewhere around 10,000 steps. (I've used a cheap pedometer to track this in the past, too...no need for a fancy activity tracker.)

Lisa

Nope, lol, it does count. It takes a cathelete to try and add two more hours of workouts to her 10,000 steps per day! You don't need to do more than the total. Mostly, I wouldn't worry about it after a Cathe workout because generally you will get there after a 30 to 40 minute walk, but any Cathe cardio over 20 minutes should get you there. These guidelines are not for people like us hell bent on finally lifting as much, flying over our steps, or jumping as high as Cathe with our Game Faces on. These guidelines are for the sedentary who are not ready for anything more than a stroll. There is nothing wrong with encouraging them to avoid blood clots and obesity through a less intense lifestyle than we choose. The guide is a minimum, not meant to only be for the NEAT.

That's what I thought but my husband keeps telling me different. I just want to make sure I move around enough during my "regular" day. I know that with one Cathe workout, I would hit or come close to the 10,000 steps. I know my husband is trying to help but sometimes he gives me info that I know is completely wrong. I use to try and tell him different but it doesn't work, so I just ignore most of it now. I figured if I can still workout 1-2 hrs a day and get in my step (or as close as I can) I am in a good place. Thanks so much for your insight on this.

I might be an overachiever but I like the idea of better safe than sorry, ie: workout PLUS 10k steps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.