Question about Sketchers Tone-ups

pjlippert

Cathlete
Hi there!

So, I recently bought a pair of the Sketchers Tone-up sandals and they are officially the MOST comfortable shoe/sandal I have EVER worn. I'm contemplating getting the Tone-ups sneakers. Two questions... based on the curvy design of the bottom of the shoe, are they safe enough to do high-impact workouts in or is that a sprained-ankle in the making? Also, I wear orthotics in my regular tennis shoes, would they work in the Tone-ups?

Thanks!
Pam

Hi Pam! I didn't get the Sketchers ones, but I have the I-burn from Avia which utilizes the same idea. I don't know if I'm really "toning" honestly, but its sure fun to walk and stand in as I have a habit of rocking back and forth in general. I do use prescription orthotics in those shoes as well - just youink and replace. I would not recommend dong high impact in these kind of unstable shoes. I had to sprint to catch the bus and though I didn't injure myself, I was a little afraid I might. Those shoes were made me for walking...and not much else. HTH.

I have them

I own the shapeups and have for quite awhile. I love them as far as walking and I do think they help my posture but I don't think I would do any of my Cathe workouts in them, but I'm also a clutz so I would probably hurt myself lol

I agree with the other posters - I have the Skechers toning shoes and while I really enjoy them for walking, they feel very purpose-built for that activity and I wouldn't feel comfortable using them for step or other cardio. I just replaced my old peeling Rykas with a fresh pair for that. :)

I bought the Skechers based on the reviews on a thread here and I hate them. They are not only uncomfortable and really hurt the muscles in my feet, I actually bruised one of my foot's bones wearing them. And these were the extended fitness- so less of a curve to them. I lost my balance quite a lot and would never use them for anything other than walking- definitely not for impact or balance work. I didn't buy them for the dubious fitness claims, I bought them because they were supposed to be so comfortable. I walk an awful lot, so was very disappointed in them, as they are quite expensive and the store wouldn't take them back.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions on this, gals! What a bummer Morningstar! I have the Sketchers Tone-Ups sandals and they are pretty darned comfy. I wonder about the actual shoes themselves.

Happy Friday!
Pam

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.