Question about running

BROYLES60

Cathlete
I am currently training for a 10K. I am on 2 1/2 miles and am hoping to be at 3 by week's end. When I am on the track, I have to constantly think of the number of laps I'm on otherwise I lose track listening to my radio. I would rather "lose" myself in the run and the music beacuse the time goes by so much faster.

So my question is, is there a device or piece of equipment I can wear that tells me how far or long I have run?

Yes they do....they can be a bit pricey though. I use a Timex GPS watch and it does tell me how far I've gone plus other things. I got mine at Walmart 2 years ago for about $140. These are fairly accurate and they make new ones all the time. You might try a search for them...:)...Carole

edited to add....Good Luck on the 10K!!

Good question. I've been thinking the same thing...that it is hard to let your mind wander when you are trying to keep track of your laps. Don't laugh but here is a suggestion I heard or thought of once. (can't remember??) If it takes you 8 laps to run a mile, take 8 cotton balls or stones/pebbles with you and drop one after EACH lap and when all 8 are gone, you have run your mile. Of course, adjust according to how many laps equal a mile. Just an idea but I also would be interested in other ideas. I don't think the pedometer I have truly is exact.

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

Hi Deb!! I carry rocks too....although it is for this nasty little dog that likes to chase me...x( :+ }( ...Carole

Hi Carole!

You type fatser then me!!! My idea sure is cheaper then yours. Ha! J/K! I didn't know they made watches with that feature. Hmmm, another item for my wish-list.
Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

(We posted to each other at the same time!) Oh no, I like my use of rocks better. That is truly a concern. Luckily the track I use in my neighborhood have dogs on leashes if they use it. I am afraid to run on the roads for your fear. :-(

He died after biting you??? OH MY! (Serves him right! J/K!!!!!) Thanks (I THINK) for the link. I'll check it out.

There was an article in this month's Runner's World magazine about the current governor of Arkansas. He uses the "stone/cotton ball" method, too!

I love the idea of those watches. That is so cool!!!

I bought an MP3 player last week. I haven't downloaded any songs yet. Do you worry about MP3 players and traffic? I generally run in subdivisions with little traffic, but I am still scared of getting run over.

Lori

Timex Ironman watches have a lap counter (mine counts up to 50). You'd go bonkers if you're doing more than 50 laps on a track! You just need to push a button as you complete each lap. Not as cheap as stones/cotton, but much cheaper than a GPS!

Debra

Maybe someone has already suggested this, but, why not simply gauge several distances with your car odometer? I have 2,3 4,&6 mile routes figured this way...deb:)

Yes, I map out routes with my car too, but sometimes it's nice to just run, and not worry about planning a route ahead of time. BUT, I will probably continue to do this, because my dh will kill me if I buy one of those watches now. :)

Lori

I don't use any device. I reset my odometer and drive around until I hit the miles I want! makes it pretty mindless, and it is accurate. Saves a ton of money, too.

There's a cheap little item called a row counter used for knitting - usually only a couple bucks. It slips on the end of your needle and you move it each time you finish a row. Usually they go up to 99. You could easily hold one of these while you ran laps. Of course it doesn't work on the open road!

Trish

I think they would get a lil' upset with me if I drove my car on the track! :7

If you don't like to keep track of the laps then just note your start time on your watch. It takes me ruffly 8 min. to run a mile so I just run for a 1/2 hr. I go a little furthur but I know I've run about 3 miles and gotten in the cardio time I'm looking for. Running on the track is very boring to me. I switch between running on the road and the track. Track is healthier but road burns more calories and increases my endurance and works my muscles harder. In the winter I get on the old ratmill. I don't know, it just seems that when I run outside on the roads..I get lost in my thinking and the time just flies by. I do 4-5 miles when I can run on the road. Only been bit once by a dog. Gotta watch out for those small ones!

Happy Running,
Chrissy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.