question about radiation/chemo...anyone know the answer?

Michele S

Cathlete
We just found out last week that my sister's husband has a rectal tumor that is cancerous. He is due to start radiation and chemo treatment in a few weeks. The radiation will be a daily procedure where he needs to be driven back and forth. Does anyone know if it's safe to be around someone having this done while pregnant?

My sister remembered today that years (like 20) ago when my grandmother was undergoing treatment for cancer, she actually had radiation rods placed inside her. My sister was nursing her son at the time and was told that she was not to be around her.

My sis is going to ask the doctor on Wednesday, but I was just wondering if anyone knew about this.

TIA!!!
Michele

My mom had colon cancer about 2 years ago...

she had the usual radiation and chemo twice and asked the dr this very question for my sake...I was pregnant at the time

there should be no problems with being around someone on this type of radiation and chemo...

We were just told to be careful because we would both have weakened immune systems, so if one of us was sick, we should be extra diligent in hand washing and tissue use and not hugging and kissing!

HTH!!!!

Thanks so much for the reply! I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to help out with driving my BIL back and forth to radiation!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.