Question about Puzzlemats?

Rockael

Cathlete
Hi everyone, I was hoping that some of you could tell me if you own puzzlemats what kind and do they work well?
I feel like they would come apart during aerobics etc.
I work out in my basement and,
I haven't installed proper flooring yet.;(
Wondering if Puzzlemats would be a good investment until I can get
wood flooring.
Thank you.
Rocky

Hi!

I am using puzzlemats as a base for my PaviGym aerobic flooring.

When I first installed them (before getting the PaviGym floor) I encountered two problems:
1. After heavy aerobic use the kind of "deflate" so I had to move them around and rearrange them every 2-3 months.
2. They never came apart or move aound during aerobics, but pivoting moves have scratched them and little pieces of plastic were spread all over the place. Weights and the rebounder leave permanent marks.

Overall, it's ok to use them for a while until you get a proper fitness floor, but they get scratched and marked very easily and lose their thickness after sustained use.

My advice would be either to wait and get a good rebounding wood floor or use puzzlemats as a foundation for a better (and more expensive) fitness floor (such as Taraflex or PaviGym).

Hope this helps!
Chris.

:)

Oh! And one last thing...

Puzzlemats create friction when you use paper or plastic plates for lunges/push ups (there's another thread on this problem here as well)...

:)
Chris

I have two brands of puzzle mats. I first purchased from GreatMats for a large area and really like the finished edges. I have not noticed any problems with compression as noted in the previous post. They did get indents from the rebounder so I don't use the rebounder on them anymore. They haven't scratched and have held up very well. Then for a smaller area I purchased the cheaper kind from HomeDepot & Kmart. The cheaper ones do not hold up as well as the ones from GreatMats and they are not as thick, so don't provide as much protection to your joints. Both brands hold togther quite well. I have noticed that for the cheaper mats, you have to connect a larger number together to prevent the mats from sliding around during aerobic activities. The cheaper mats tend to move more. HTH, Deb

I bought mine from Lowes about 6 or 7 years ago and have had absolutely no problems with them. I haven't had any compression issues, no scratching, nothing. They look just like they did brand new.

Mine are placed wall to wall over the whole room, so they do not come apart or move. I have two layers over ceramic tile.

I've used them for over a year, maybe two. I bought mine at Lowe's. They've never come apart, and they've held up very well. I've never had any of the problems listed by other posters. Weights will leave indents, but the mats recover by the next use. They've been great for high-impact step aerobics.

I use mine on top of a tile floor, laid on concrete slab. They definitely help.

One thing you will have to be careful about, if you're used to working out on a smooth floor - pivot moves can be a bit harder, and I usually pick my foot up during a turn instead of doing a true pivot, just to be safe.

I bought my puzzlemats at Walmart (before I started boycotting Walmart) and I LOVE them! I've had them in my basement (over a concrete floor) for over a year and
(1) they have never come apart
(2) they don't move around at all (of course, I have about 30 of them, which is a pretty big area - so that helps them stay put)
(3) they have not lost any thickness or gotten dinged up by weights
(4) they are fantastic for high impact aerobics that would be otherwise un-doable on a concrete floor (ouch!)

I don't know what I'd do without my puzzlemats - it was a great investment, and mine are just the cheapy Walmart ones. If you have the money to get some really nice ones (like Great Mats), you'll have yourself a very nice aerobic area. :)

Thank you Thank you Thank you everyone.
This leads me to ask another question, I may have to re-ask if know one sees this.
Would layering the puzzlemats be a good idea? Or putting them under carpet,or even on top of the carpet?
I hate working out on the carpet in the basement. I used to have two layers of carpeting, but I always felt as though I would trip etc.
and or sprain my ankles. }(
Thank you again everyone, now I just have to talk my husband into buying these, I wonder how much of a cost comparison is if you did a portion of your floor with the proper flooring versus puzzlemats??
Anyone know?
Rocky

I was wondering myself about flooring. I just workout on the carpet in my room. I keep having shin splints and its driving me nuts. I can't afford any actual flooring and was wondering if I should put something over the carpet? what about some thick rug that is made for under tread mills etc? I'm sure puzzle mats would slide all over and I wouldnt like the look of them between workouts since it's my room...

I just bought some from Home Depot to protect our new carpeting. I haven't used them yet, though, so I can't be of any help.

I'm not sure about whether or not they'll come apart based on the softer carpet surface.

I have puzzle mats that I have had for years that I got from Greatmats. They have held upwell, but they are scratched, marked up etc. I have been using them so long they still have the marks from the original FIRM tall box. I have the mats over 2 layers of carpet padding on a concrete floor. I have never had a problem with stability on this floor or twisted ankles or anything. In fact my balance is fantastic from always working out on such a surface.

Now here is the however and it is a big one. The surface of the puzzle mat allows for so little friction it is almost sticky. What I mean by that is if you like dancy or complex choreography with turns and such you can torque your knee because your shoe will stay in one place while your body turns. It frustrated me to no end because I like to pretend I am a graceful and talented dancer when I am doing highly choreographed videos, but my knees always end up hurting.

So now I am saving up for a new floor for my workout room. I am thinking of getting the Tile Flex aerobic flooring from Greatmats. I can't afford to get a floating wood floor like I really want, but this looks pretty good (and I live an hour away from them so I can pick up the floor myself and save on shipping). I got samples from Greatmats for both the Tile Flex flooring and the Cushion Tile floor and do think I would be fine with both, but you can get the Tile Flex in a maple plank that would look like a real aerobics floor. Lets be real, I have been working out at home for over 15 years so I might as well get the one I really want.

Depending on what happens with my health in the next few weeks I may be getting this floor soon. When I do I will write in and let you all know how it is.

Shayne

Hi Shayne, Thank you.
Do you have a link for Greatmats? Or what store sells them?
Also I have thought about a carpet pad under puzzlemats.
I wish that I could somehow get what Cathhe has in her Gym.
Please keep me informed, even by PMing me.
Rocky;-)

I have been checking out different options for my flooring. We would not mind installing something permanent but We may move eventually. I have been looking at great mats. I went to my grandchildren's Karate practice and that flooring is so nice. I told my son in law I want that floor:) I have had problems with plantar fasiitis and have added my large floor mats and it has made a huge difference. I sometimes workout in our office for space and we have wood flooring over concrete. It really did cause some problems. Jess get some other cushioning. I have dealt with carpeting and padding for years. It is not the same. My carpet and padding is thick in my workout room but not as good as adding some other cushioning.

http://wd.1ww.us
http://1ww.us/logo2.gif

I am not good enough to create a link, but the address is www.greatmats.com, I don't think they are in retail outlets. At their homepage look under Athletic and choose Aerobics Flooring. I e-mailed them and requested a sample of both the tile flex and the cushion tile. I think they would both be great, but you can get the tile flex in maple plank that looks like a suspended wood floor, and since I have floor envy, that is the one I want. I also think it will do the job better.

Shayne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.