Question about Phantom--the movie

valentine64

Cathlete
My kids, ages 7 and 10, are big fans of The Phantom of the Opera music, but they've never seen the stage production. I was reading about the 2004 movie version of the musical directed by Joel Schumaker and starring Gerard Butler, and it got great reviews. I was thinking about renting the movie for my kids and me to watch, but it's rated PG-13. My question is whether the movie has any questionable scenes that might be inappropriate for my kids? I doubt there are any sex scenes, but I may be wrong. If any of you have seen this movie version, will you give me your opinion on kids' viewing of it? They are very eager to see the musical. P.S.--I'm pretty conservative regarding what I allow my kids to watch--they've never seen a PG-13 movie, just PG and G rated movies. Thanks in advance for your input!
Valerie

I have the movie and the PG-13 rating is because of the violence. There are no sex scenes or nudity, but it is somewhat violent. I agree with RapidBreath. It may be a little too grown up for them at this time. I would wait a few years.

I do have to say that Minnie Driver made that movie! She was amazing!

I have to agree with the others. Although this is a fantastic movie, it for sure is not for the 7 year old. You may help your other child through it (maybe/ify).

If they see the movie they most likely would be frightened of the phantom. He is a killer and does that with horrifying results. There are a couple of sensual scenes, but I'm sure they wouldn't understand that either. The mask he wears would seem very scary and haunting for the children I'm sure.

The music is absolutely wonderful, but then you can get a CD of the same songs and artist. I think they would enjoy that. They can sing a long. It's that good!

Janie

Valerie - It's something I probably would have watched at 7-10, but heck, Poltergeist was one of my favorite movies at that time, so I'm not a good one to ask! Here's another good website though to check out movies: www.kidsinmind.com

I will say that sometimes even the most benign movies sounds bad when they list everything out like this website does. It's a good resource though.

I have seen both the movie and the stage production and my opinion is that the subject matter - abduction, obsession, child abuse - are all too mature for children under 11 or 12.

Phantom is my favorite, but I agree with what has been said. Any chance you could preview it without their seeing it? The CD from the movie is wonderful. I have the original cast recording (and Michael Crawford is my favorite voice for the phantom), but Sarah Brightman's voice grates on my nerves--so I prefer the movie soundtrack.

Then again, I guess I'm really not qualified to judge: My kids are okay with Lord of the Rings, but my youngest (age 10--and a boy) ran screaming from the room when we watched "The Sound of Music." It had--gasp--KISSING!:eek: He doesn't like it when I listen to Phantom, either.:p Good guys fighting bad guys = no problem. Romance = horror!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info on the movie! I ended up watching it by myself, and I agree that some parts were intense for kids. I think my girls would have had nightmares from a couple of the scenes! But I really enjoyed it and may have to get the soundtrack. Thanks again for your help!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.