Question about Hydrolic Fitness Equipment

Iris_g1

Cathlete
I just recently joined a woman's fitness center that uses hydrolic fitness machines. Similar to the "Curves" concept. I mainly joined for the classes and cardio equipment, as I do my strength training at home using Cathe videos. However, I took a circuit class yesterday and it has me wondering about this type of equipment. I would love to hear your opinions on them? Do you think they are effective? They are resistance type machines, so I know the more you push on them the harder they work you, but don't know how they stack up as opposed to machines that use weights.

I would love to hear your opinions.

Thanks in advance.

I don't think hydrolic fitness machines are effective if you want to build serious muscle and get stronger. My sister has been going to Curves for a while (longer than she should have) and recently started working out with me and my other sister. She has no upper body strength at all. She can barely do 1 modified push up.

You are really limited on how hard or fast you can push those things so there would be no progression to something heavier like moving up in weight. I think it contributes more to a cardio workout than to an actual strength workout with machines and dumbbells.

JMHO,

Thank you Jane. I was thinking along the same lines. I was a "Curves" member years ago, that was actually my first introduction to gyms, and I never saw any muscle improvement. The only machine I felt (feel) are effective, are the squat machines and maybe the ab machines. Basically, I figure I'll do the circuit as a cardio workout, ie the "Power Hour" class, but I won't bother to replace my weight-lifting workouts with this equipment.

Curves uses a specific kind of machine that is "positive only" training. This means, for example, you work your biceps as you pull up and triceps as you push down - it is also called "concentric only" training. They market this as a way to get your workout in in a half hour. Many people in the industry have different opinions on this - some feel it is an efficient workout while others believe it is ineffective or even dangerous. I believe it is actually a dangerous way to train in the long term. Many feel that you build the most strength during the "negative" or eccentric portion of the contraction. In the Curves kind of training, this is never trained - I work the muscle as it shortens (the "positive" or "concentric phase") but not as the muscle lengthens (the "negative" or "eccentric" phase).
I heard a person give an example once that in the long run this kind of training gives you "a false sense of strength" as it literally can make you strong enough to pick something up that you aren't strong enough to put down.
I hope that makes sense...
I really believe a muscle needs to be trained through its full range of motion both shortening and lengthening.
There is also some research suggesting that one does not realize all of the bone building potential of weight training if one only works the positive phase.
--Laura

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.