Question about calories

cwsoxfan

Cathlete
Hi to the EC,

I have a question. How do I convince myself that I don't need as many calories at the moment? You see, I'm unable to work out for awhile due to surgery. :-( Prior to surgery, I would workout 1 1/2 hours a day. I would eat breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, mid-day snack, and dinner. I couldn't eat last week while in the hospital. Not my choice. ;-) Anyway, the past two days I'm so hungry. I'm still eating "clean". However, I do realize that even if it's clean, calories "in" can't be greater than what I'm burning. Which isn't much these days. :-(

Why am I so hungry? It doesn't make sense with my activity level these days?

Any thoughts?

Anyone care to share your secrets you used post surgery, or while laid up due to an injury? I know eat less. :p I get that, but why doesn't my stomach agree?

Dallas

Hello, If you are eating clean and you are hungrey that means that your body has burned off all of the calories that you ate, even when you are at rest your body still burns calories and its best to eat about what you did before to keep your metabolisum up, just watch that you eat clean:) hope this was helpful

>I know eat less. :p I get
>that, but why doesn't my stomach agree?

Your body needs nutrients to heal, so maybe that's why you are still hungry. You can keep nutrients high and calories lower. For example, make vegetable-based soups a regular part of your daily food intake. The liquid in the soups will help reduce your appetite (by taking up more space in the stomach) and the phytonutrients will help give your body some of the nutrients it needs.

Herbals teas are also something that can satisfy a craving for warm food and flavor while adding liquid that will again reduce your appetite.

While you're recovering, maybe look through "Picture-Perfect Weight Loss," which can give you some ideas for high-nutrient/lower-calorie options (your local library might have it).

I'd love to check out that book. Are there any good recipes in it? Not that I'm driving or cooking. Maybe I can convince dh to pick up the book.

I do love soups and hot tea. That's a great idea. Thanks Kathyrn!

Now who would like to take all the goodies that keep showing up at my house from neighbors and friends? LOL! It makes not cheating even harder. This is not a good time of the year to not be exercising. :-( Can I re-gift edibles? ;)

Thanks again!

Dallas

Hey Dallas -
Not sure what kind of surgery you had and what if any exercise you are able to do or will be able to do anytime soon. I had surgery in Sept. of 2005 - let's just say it was surgery by choice but none the less I couldn't work out for about 3 weeks - I workout out 1-2 hours/6 days week so it was sooo hard for me but I survived through it and didn't gain any weight.

Not sure if you are more worried about losing muscle or gaining... if losing muscle, you may lose a little depending on how long you are out of commision but as soon as you get back to it it'll be back before you know it. If gaining weight is your worry... don't! Eat healthy and keep calories about the same as before, you'll be amazed at how you will be fine! We (or at least I) get so involved/obsessed about working out & what will happen if you can't but when it comes to it, taking a month or so off isn't the end of the world!

I would suggest as soon as you can maybe start walking -that is what I did the last couple weeks of my "off time" - with permission from the doctor. That way, you feel like you aren't a lump on the couch!

Good luck & try to relax and just get better, you'll be back before you know it!

Hi Jen,

The surgery was not by my choice. I had to have a total abdominal hysterectomy. So, I think exercise will be off limits for at least six weeks. :-( I know it will go by quickly. Your workout schedule looks much like mine. That definitely makes me feel better you didn't gain any weight. I am a bit concerned about losing the muscle that I've worked so hard to gain. I've been chatting with a several ladies from here, who have gone through the exact surgery. They have assured me that everything will be fine as far as muscle loss.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement!

Dallas

Typically post-op is not the time to be cutting back on calories. You need energy to heal. Were your previous calories for maintenance or weight loss? If you were losing weight pre-op then going to maintenance post-op is usually better and you may be ok with your previous eating pattern. It's possible your metabolic needs are a little higher than normal due to the healing process. If you're that hungry maybe you've cut your calories too much.

I'd also say that your priority/focus now needs to be healing. Once you're past the acute post-op phase you can refocus on fitness goals. As a nurse I can also say that the people I've seen screw up their recovery phase the most (both in frequency and severity) are the physically fit/athletes who don't know when to rest. For those that do take it easy like they're supposed to the recovery overall is quicker. (Not that anything in your post indicates you are at risk for overdoing it--just making a general caution.)

As far as personal experience goes I had additional surgery on my ankle a couple years ago and I was off work for 5 weeks, half time for another month. I didn't think the pain I was having preop was a big deal and it turned out the screws from an old surgery had come loose and were irritating stuff you need like tendons. Recovery from that was over a year(much longer than expected) and I also have some permanent limitations and damage from arthritis in that joint also which was time consuming to sort out also. So I can relate to having to take it easy and not being able to work out like you want to. During that time I maintained my weight--kept off what I had previously lost and stayed the same and am just now slowly losing weight again. I ate maintenance calories for sedentary activity which was figured out for me by an RD. As far as exercise goes I couldn't do anything for the first two or three months and didn't worry about it or my weight. Once I was medically cleared I did what the ankle tolerated and rested when it needed it which was still only a fraction of what I was doing pre screw damage but better than nothing.

Diana

Wow, I am glad you are okay, that surgery sounds very painful and from what I've heard from other people who had surgery on the abdominal area, it is very painful.

I saw the post after yours and it mentioned something about now is not the time to be cutting back on calories & I agree -just think of the extra calories your body is using to help heal itself!!! Also, think of this- if you do lose some muscle mass, that means you will actually lose weight as muscle weighs more than fat!!!! Don't worry about the muscle though really, once you are back to working out as long as you are eating right it'll be back before you know it and you have to remember... in the sceme of life, a few months isn't a big deal at all... you are a dedicated workout person, I know b/c if you weren't you wouldn't be on the Cathe forum, so I have NO DOUBT you'll be back to how you were before surgery not long after you get the okay from your doctor to begin working out again!!!

Relax and be proud!

Also, if you weren't eating much last week, that may be the reason your body is demanding more food now. It's like, HELLOOOOOO, I went all those days with barely any nutrition GIVE ME SOME PROTEIN AND VITAMINS NOW!!!! I think that's one of the reasons that experts advise against severe dieting, it tends to lead to rebound gaining weight because after a severe calorie restriction your appetite can really perk up!

Be gentle and generous with yourself as you are healing. Hoping you feel better soon!

Thanks Diana and Diane!

Jen ~ You're right. What's a few weeks? I, like most everyone on this board, love to work out, so this really is tough. This too shall pass...I know. Oh and yes the pain has been excruciating. That's where these pain meds come in handy. ;)

Diana ~ My previous calorie intake was for maintenance. I feel like I'm eating close to the same amount of calories pre-surgery. That's why it's so puzzling. Maybe Diane hit the nail on the head? Last week they wouldn't let me eat, so maybe it's my bodies way of making up??? Oh well, I'm sure it'll all even out soon.

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

Dallas

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.