Question about a Non-Cathe DVD (which I haven't bought in a looooong time)

cfc2003

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone has purchased the P90X DVDs. I hate to ask that question because ALL I do is Cathe and run, but after I complete the STS I was thinking about getting the P90X, but first I want to know how they compare to Cathe DVDs. I don't want to purchase and be disappointed if they are not challenging. Thanks!

If you do a search, you'll see a LOT of threads about P90x. I also have a bunch of info I can pass along to you if you want to send me a pm. :)

I haven't seen the other thread(s) but I have the series. It's not a favorite. Probably because I find Tony to be irritating. There are some good exercises. (LOTS of pushups, pullups, chinups, etc) Just not a 'connection' for me. I much prefer Cathe.

I like the workouts. They're pretty good. Tony? Not so much. He seems like a nice guy, but the goofiness goes way overboard. That's saying a lot coming from the Goofiness Queen.

I have P90X and Chalene Extreme. I never actually did the P90X rotation and I wonder if I ever will- the individual workouts in it don't seem that interesting to me. I quit Chalene Extreme after one month- just dreaded the workouts, short as they were.

I also did pretty much Cathe and running for several years, but lately have begun to branch out. I have P90X, but I did not love it. There were a few workouts that I really liked but I had trouble sticking with it for the long haul.

I'm keeping it in case it comes around (or I come around, I suppose). But I did just buy Chalean Extreme and I LOVE IT.

Thanks for the information! Now I'm even more confused. I'll wait though . . .

Don't be confused! P90X is fantastic and it's needed to confuse the body, especially after STS series. It's hard (or as hard as you want it to be, modifying) workouts as is. It has everything you could want to support gaining muscle, and cardio to burn calories, and yoga for stretching the muscles you used to the max.

It's just as intense as Cathe's STS. Thank goodness for modification. They both are very different, and needed.

You won't be disappointed, and if you aren't ready for these kinds of exercises, then you most likely will in the future.

I'm almost done with Cathe STS series and plan on doing 3 months of P90X after my active recovery. For me it's a must, and I know from experience that my body will welcome it.

Go for it!;)

Janie

I LOVED my P90X rotation (and some of the workouts are my all-time favorites, like "Shoulders and Arms").

Vs Cathe, the cardio is definitely more low-key (intentionally so, to prevent burning up the calories used to build muscle), the lower body isn't as intense for some (I found it less beneficial for my booty than Cathe or--even better--some Firm workouts), but the upper body is superb.

I love the circuit-style set up of the weight workouts (similar to STS Meso 1--I'm glad Cathe finally started using this technique).

I haven't tried STS yet (I have it, and have had it since it came out, but it hasn't yet called to me ;)), so I may change my mind after I do it, but IMO, P90X is the best weight-training system I've tried so far. (And one advantage over STS: it includes everything: weight work, cardio, yoga, stretching, core work, plyometrics, abs).

Tony can be a bit of an aquired taste, but I like him (he's goofy, but he knows his stuff, and he is also encouraging).

If you like the 'working out with the guys (and gals) in the weight room vibe (I do), you might like it.
If you need your workouts to have pretty clothing, and everyone being in synch with the reps (that are counted out), then you probably won't.

Thanks Kathryn, your comments were helpful. Since I'm still doing STS, I'll probably wait until I'm almost done and order the P90X. I just get bored doing the same workouts and I like to be challenged.

Thanks again for your help!!

I think I will do the same, I'm almost done with the STS program and I wanted to do the P90X then hopefully the new Cathe cardio dvds will arrive and I can do those along with STS again! I LOVE working out - it's the only ME time I get!!

Thanks again!!

Another YES for P90X

I have both P90X and P90X+. I had to stop my STS after 8 weeks of M1 as I had surgery on my thyroid. Although I felt fine the day after I came out of the hospital I need to give my scar time to heal. So I've only done some cardio so far. After seeing my doctor next week I'll ask if I can resume STS. I plan on doing the regular rotation, take a recovery week, do P90X+, recovery week and then either the 6 months STS again or the P90X rotation.
They are both excellent and different. With P90X it's all about muscle confusion and you decide if you want to do heavy (6-8 reps) or toning (12-15 reps). P90X+ is more of an endurance workout as you may do up to 1-1/2 to 2 min of one exercise (still with the muscle confusion concept). As the other posters said, it's a complete program, with stretches (that I ALWAYS do once/week), yoga and cardio. Plyometrics is a though one. YogaX is not for everyone at 90 min. But I had INCREDIBLE results with it. I lost 7lbs (it was not my goal to loose) and inches all over. It also comes with a complete nutrition program that is quite good. I must say I became stronger with STS though.
You also have to love push-ups, pull-ups and chin-ups. Chest and back is ONLY those in the workout. I once calculated the number of push-ups done in my 3rd phase and I did 240 push-ups in one workout. Tony is an acquired taste...
I hope this helps you in making your decision.
Christiane

P90X its OK

I have P90X, Not my favored one but its ok, that was the first rotation I have ever done, and I lost a lot of weigh following the diet and exercise. And that's all I did I haven't done it again. But whit STS I have gain so much streigthn, and finally my body is getting on shape...
And I always thought that I rater working out with a woman than guys, I wanted be able to say I want to be like them...
I almost finish the 3 1/2 months rotation and the big difference between P90X and STS is that I wan to do it all over again...LOVE IT:) STS..

P90X is awesome!!! You must try it. I have done Cathe dvd's for many years and found a great change in body using p90x. Yes, he is totally different from Cathe, can irritate sometimes. But the results are amazing!:)

How does P90 master series and P90X+ differ from P90x?
Do all 3 have a ton of pushups and pulllups?
Master Series is less intense than P90X (kind of P90X light: shorter workouts).
P90X+ takes P90X up a notch (not a big notch, but perhaps so in the core work). It has an EXCELLENT total-body workout in it, IMO. It comes with a rotation guide that shows how you can integrate it with the P90X workouts (P90X+ by itself is not a complete rotation, nor is P90 Masters).

Master Series is less intense than P90X (kind of P90X light: shorter workouts).
P90X+ takes P90X up a notch (not a big notch, but perhaps so in the core work). It has an EXCELLENT total-body workout in it, IMO. It comes with a rotation guide that shows how you can integrate it with the P90X workouts (P90X+ by itself is not a complete rotation, nor is P90 Masters).

P90 Masters comes w/ 6 full length workouts, but no nutrition info unlike P90x and P90. The P90M rotations include a couple of the light cardio workouts from P90 (for the 2 recovery weeks) & a 4-6 min. ab routine. I think it's about 98% of a complete rotation as what's required from P90 is easily subbed by any moderate cardio workout and any short ab routine. :)

I actually really like P90M! There's enough variety in the workouts that they don't all blur together; Tony uses all bodyweight for 2 of them (Plyo Legs and Upper-Middle-Lower). Sculpt 5-6 doesn't have any pull ups, unlike P90x. The 45 minute length of the workouts is perfect for me. (Only Cardio Intervals clocks in at 56 min. or so.)

Recall that P90M was filmed after P90x was introduced to the market, but the gap between P90 and P90x was too wide. P90M was intended as a bridge between P90 & P90x.

I do wish BB had some nutrition plan for P90M. The nutrition info in P90x is excellent, IMO. The variety of food plans presented is awesome and the food choices are realistic and easy to find.

Last edited:
Jillian from biggest loser

I don't watch this show. I hate it actually, but I tried a few of her workouts on "on demand". The "free zone" has several decent workouts. I liked her. She cued well, was encouraging, and insisted you work hard without berating. I haven't purchased anything yet from her, but am considering it. She doesn't use a lot of equipment which I like. My house is small, and half the battle to working out is having to drag out all the equipment and then put it away. She uses your own body weight in some innovative ways. If you have on demand try some of her work outs. Hey, they're "free".

Okay, I see you can buy the DVD's on the internet without all the guides. Are the guides that important?

I looooooooooooove Tony! He is absolutely adorable. I can't believe people find him irritating! :eek: He's an awful lot of fun & I could eat him w/a spoon. :p

Anyway, I have some P90X cardio (Kenpos & Intervals) & core DVDs (I don't weight train at home). They kick butt. Well worth having. But extremely difficult to purchase when you don't buy the entire package. :mad:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.