Pushups

marianimal

Cathlete
I've been doing pushups forever with the Cather videos and other videos but I never seem to get any stronger or any better at them. Can anyone give me any ideas to increase my stamina on pushups?
Thanks

I've been doing pushups forever with the Cather videos and other videos but I never seem to get any stronger or any better at them. Can anyone give me any ideas to increase my stamina on pushups?
Thanks
I've been there also. You must go past the pain threshold to increase your reps. I mean, if you must go to bent knees or rest at the bottom of the pushup and finish a set. The body sometimes limits what the mind can actually do! Add 2 to 3 more a week. You will get stronger if you keep it up!

my pushups increased from p90x. maybe its the fast reps,not a slow count, and doing as many as u can.could also be from pullups-strengthening back

laura

*sigh* The only way to get better is to do them. Sucks, doesn't it. I did the 100 pushups program and made it!!! Never thought I would. The 1st time I only made it thru week 4 or so. I couldn't do the full 100. This past Jan or Feb I completed it and did the whole thing. Let me tell you, it was awful!!! Will never, ever do it again. But I did buy the T shirt:p

So from experience, you just have to keep at it. And push past the "ow, this sucks moment" Go until you're ready to splat on your nose. Then take a break, and get back up there! The program has you doing them 3 days a week. Really just one day a week isn't going to get you any better IMHO. You gotta keep at it. I had some seriously sore abs and lats at 1st, too.

Here's the link

http://hundredpushups.com/

Even if you don't want to do the full program, it should increase your numbers.

What I also found helpful, was breaking up the count. When I 1st had to do 20, I panicked. 20!?!?!? That's a huge number, no way, Jose! But I would count 1-2-3-4-5,5-4-3-2-1,1-2-3-4-5,5-4-3-2-1. with no breaks between. I can do 5 of anything! So I would count it out in 5s. Worked for me. When the numbers got bigger, I would count in 10s. I know I can do 10, so I just had to do 10 five times. Had to get past the mental block.
A little grunting and groaning and sailor-talk never hurt, either. As long as the kids aren't in earshot. 50 ugh, 51 crap, 75 F(*$(#!, 90 holy Sh.....

Nan

Thanks everyone. I really like the 100 pushup plan Nan. I think I will try that and after looking around that site, I like the idea of the 25 pull up test too. Sadly, I was afraid the answer was going to be that you just have to keep at it! Why is there no push-up fairy???

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.