push ups and abs

erin1621

Cathlete
So i have been doing cardio and weights and lo max. I love these videos but i am no where near being able to lift like cathe! I also cant keep up with her and her push ups or ab work outs. I thought maybe if i keep at it will be able to complete the videos with her. Anyone succeed in this. I sometimes have to switch to lower weights to. I figure i should go lighter if i cant keep good form. adv,,,suggestions?

You should definitely go lighter if you can't keep good form. If you can keep good form with heavier weights, you might need to do every other rep but don't sweat it if you have to go lighter or have to modify or take rests. The more you work out the more your body will adapt and you will be able to go longer/lift heavier.

I know not everyone is a Jillian Michaels fan but one of my favorite sayings from her is "We start where we start and build up from there." If everyone could do Cathe workouts perfectly like she does in the videos, we wouldn't need her to create these for us.

Good luck in continuing your fitness journey!

So i have been doing cardio and weights and lo max. I love these videos but i am no where near being able to lift like cathe! I also cant keep up with her and her push ups or ab work outs. I thought maybe if i keep at it will be able to complete the videos with her. Anyone succeed in this. I sometimes have to switch to lower weights to. I figure i should go lighter if i cant keep good form. adv,,,suggestions?

In a word, no, have not succeeded in doing every workout exactly the way Cathe or her girls do them. What I can say is if you stick with it long enough, you will see that you can do more & more. You may not lift as much, lift as fast, or be able to do everything but that's what you can use to your advantage. Maybe this week you complete one section, or focus on just that one exercise, next week another, maybe longer or more complex step routines this month, and Interval Step Cardio next month. The fact that you can't do something is not what defines you, it's what you can.

Don't forget to pat yourself on the back at least once in a while for things you succeeded at! Keep at it!

For me this week it's squat turn squat on the step, I couldn't even attempt these before (I've been working out since doing the Beginner Rotation Oct. 2009) First week of Body Max 2 step premix, did them on the floor, 2nd week I did the first sets of 8 on a 4" step, yay me, Sat. will be the 3rd week try....and, you guessed it, I'll be attempting all on the step this time...whoooo!

You could try increasing the weights here and there, I turned my high knee "fast feet" into the way they're supposed to be done.

Just a couple of examples, there are 100's of things you can accomplish in a year's time...:eek:

Good Luck!
Linda

First I agree, please pat yourself on the back for doing these workouts. I never can do everything Cathe or the crew does, and often feel like I am not keeping up, but the main thing is to just keep working out regularly at your own unique level, appropriate for you, and improvements will come gradually. One thing that has helped me a LOT with doing both push-ups and ab work - is doing planks. If you can hold a plank for any length of time, it benefits a huge number of muscles, many of which are involved in push-ups and also in many types of ab work. Fitness magazine recommends in the Jan 2011 issue to hold a 1-minute plank every single day, and I would have to agree, that's a great idea. I am going to start doing that. HTH!

That's a good tip Ann, about the planks & strengthening the core. One other exercise is the squat. I really think doing lower body exercises that included squats helped immensely with core stability in addition to many other total body strength benefits.

For me, I had to focus on cardio endurance a lot just to get through the lower body workouts...:)

Linda

Great suggestion about the plank...all movement originates from the core so it is especially important for us to keep it in tip top performance!

One of my favorite moves to teach core and upper body strength is utilized with a stability ball.

Kneel behind the ball place hands on top of ball, then place tummy on the top ball and roll slightly forward straightening the legs...keep moving forward slowly, then place the hands in front of the ball on the floor. When ready, pick up both legs and zipper them together. You are now in a fully supported plank! To progress the exercise, slowly walk the hands out away from the ball so less of you is supported. Work on increasing the distance you can walk out and the length of time you can hold the plank...it is like having your very own spotter right underneath you!

To advance the movement even more I love to do the plank, pushup, downdog move right there off of the stability ball. Start as above, from the plank lower into a pushup, extend the arms back up...from here push into the palms while lowering entire body (still supported by ball of course) into a downdog position. Try to get the head in line with the arms, stretch the back long and lean, and lift the legs! To get out of it, press into palms but use the strength of the shoulders and chest to lift you back up into the plank. Keep the back supported by pulling in the abs...(make sure you don't let the tummy pull the low back into a sway!) Repeat as needed! Plank, pushup, downdog...plank, pushup, downdog...remember you determine the level of difficulty by how far out you walk the hands from the ball. This exercise works for all levels from beginners to advanced for this reason!!

Just do the best that you can and you will improve. Don't compare yourself to Cathe and her cohorts - remember they're professionals. I sometimes find my hazel eyes turning green when I see what Cathe is lifting and think I'm gonna try that, but then I remember what I do for a living (systems analyst) and what she does and how LONG she's been doing it, and I come back to reality.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.