Push It January 2014

Hi there! I see the check in has been really quiet! Of course, I've been away for three weeks again :(. I was overwhelmed with some issues with my apartment, work, and some schools things. Anyway, I hope everyone had a really good Valentine's Day! :)

Today I did Chest and Tris from Body Beast. My chest was fried and I went sorta light. I'm sure I'm going to be feeling pretty sore tomorrow.

Jennifer, I'm glad your back is feeling better. Happy Aniversary too! Did you make duck like you had planned?

Nancy, good for you for sticking to RWH!!!! That's awesome that you are seeing some results too! :)

Good morning! This week I'm sticking with Body Beast. Tuesday was part of build Legs. Wednesday was Back and Bis. Today I was going to do a Cathe step workout instead of Body Beast but I couldn't find the DVD. I hope it turns up some where soon. I'll be really sad if I lost it for good. Hope you all are well!

Hi there!

It's been awhile. Work is crazy (and honestly somewhat frustrating) but I won't complain. I'm glad I've been able to blow off the aggravation and focus on what's really important in life. I've always been high-anxiety and finally am learning to just let go of stuff :)

Somethings are exciting for me: I signed up to do 2 things and never have done anything like them before... my first 5k ever is in April -- The Color Run if you've heard of it. I hadn't but a friend of mine really wanted to do it so I'm going to do it with her. I'm looking forward to doing something unique and it should be fun. Also my husband found a Groupon deal for a Crusher 5K in June; it's like a mud/obstacle course type of deal. That seems fun as well. http://www.crusherrace.com/?ref=em-dLJ4vRlv1tOy#!crusher-5k/cgf7

Workouts are going well, Pilates class is going well, and my back is still feeling great. It seemed to act up on and off and then my hip would bother me so I figured it was time to go back to the chiropractor whom I haven't seen in about 4 months. But what a relief; electro stim with an adjustment 2 weeks in a row and I'm back to my normal self again -- whatever normal is :) I shouldn't have waited so long; next time I'll know better.

We said good night to Whisper a few weeks ago; it was awful and sad but it was his time to go; surgery wasn't really an option. If you've ever heard of Bloat that's what happened. Quite suddenly and it was a shock. He was only 11 but somehow Craig and I knew before it happened that his days were limited. That's what made our decision less painful.So... enter Joey. We took in another greyhound who had been in 2 other foster homes. The girls are finally getting used to him so we are going to adopt him. We decided that 3 is a good number; no one has to be alone and having the 2 girls helped us deal better with losing Whisper. Joey is about 2 and just a ball of energy; he's a big love bug and lots of fun. He loves squeaky toys and runs like the wind. He was never a racer but we think he was a hunting dog. He is SUPER smart; already learned how to lift the latch on the gate with his nose! Yikes!

I didn't get into the Glassboro RT this year but now I'm thinking it was a blessing in disguise. I've been working on paying off my car and then got slammed with dental bills so am working on that. I think I'd rather focus on my finances and prioritize some things a bit differently so it's actually a relief to not have that expense hanging over my head for July.

Stacie,
Body Beast! Isn't that what Natascia was doing? How is that going? I hope you find your Cathe DVD!
Sounds like you have a lot of craziness and busyness going on. Glad you're still working on your workouts :)

Thank you for the anniversary wishes! The duck was great but I won't buy it again. There really wasn't as much meat on it as I expected so it was pretty expensive in that sense (or cents I should say!).

How is Tyler's teacher this year? Did he have a Valentine? I remember having to make a valentine card box in school. I definitely was not ever and still am not an artist!

I'm gonna get off-line now. Stay warm and safe!

Hello again to all your wonderful people. I did not work out for a while, but I started again. Today was X Train Hard Strikes and my upper body. Wow, do you ever get DOMS when you don't work out for a while. I hope everybody is doing well.

Hello again to all your wonderful people. I did not work out for a while, but I started again. Today was X Train Hard Strikes and my upper body. Wow, do you ever get DOMS when you don't work out for a while. I hope everybody is doing well.
Caitlin, boy, is that ever the truth about DOMS!!! I find that even if I've been working out regularly and try a Cathe DVD from the past (like Gym Styles Legs) I get really sore! Right now I'm hobbling around from yesterday's RWH Legs. Glad someone out there in cyberspace is sharing my pain ;)!

We said good night to Whisper a few weeks ago; it was awful and sad but it was his time to go...
Aw, Jennifer, I'm sorry about Whisper :(. It is so amazing how much our fur-babies can embed themselves into our lives and our hearts and so painful when they leave us to our memories. I'm grateful for you to have the ability to bring another baby into your flock and give him part of your ENORMOUS heart! What a lucky dog Joey is!

They are going away now, but I will be away for a few days, and I can't work out. I wonder what will happen then.

Hi everyone! I'm sorry for not posting. I have been keeping up with my body beast workouts. I'm a little bit behind this week because I took yesterday and today off. Does anyone else really hate daylight savings? I always feel so tired that first week we spring forward.

Jennifer, I'm so sorry about Whisper. I hope you are hanging in there. I'm sure having a new dog helps...I know it did me when I had to put my last dog down. At least he will always be there in your heart.

Natasha was doing Body Beast for awhile. I can't remember now why she stopped. I really liked it the first time but didn't finish because that was when I started not feeling well.

This year for Tyler has been shaky. He is at grade level in everything but I still get lots of complaints about focus issues. The school officials really want me to medicate him and I just can't bring myself to do it. :(

Bummer about the road trip!

Good Morning Ladies! It is great to come back and see what's going in lives of everyone. I will admit that I have enjoyed my mental break from the forum. I tried to continue my FB exercise postings but gave those up too just lately. My mornings have been very refreshing. Anyway, the last few days I have been saying that I was coming back to check in and I hope you ladies were still here. It appears that the forum has been quiet so far this year but at least you are on enough to stay in touch and encourage each other.

Stacie--I think the Step Cardio Hiit components of RWH is very tough. Cardio is not my favorite anyway but those workouts are really unbelievable to me. I went through a quick rotation of the DVD's and I am just not sure if it will be a favorite. Kudos to Tyler and his academics. Glad things have improved for him. Medication is definitely a parental choice. As an educator I have seen it work but I also realize that many parents struggle with making that decision. I know that the kids sometimes struggle with sleep habits and loss of appetite from medicine and some parents just worry about the long term affects. Like I said, it is a parental choice...one they you can give a try and stop if you don't like how it works for him or continue to work with his doctor to come up with alternative strategies to help with his focusing.

Nancy---I am currently doing Xtrain and it is one that I do like. I have done Hardstrikes a few times over the years as I often sub something else for it when it comes up in a rotation. I am scheduled to do it this week so I will see.

Jennifer--- I am so sorry for the loss of your dear Whisper but happy to hear that your family has been a blessing to Joey. I sometimes wish our gentle Max had someone to keep him company during the day. He really doesn't interact with other dogs but he is such a joy and loves the neighborhood kids when they come over. Happy Anniversary again to you and Craig. I have never cooked duck but usually see it on menus in some delicious orange sauce. Great to hear that pilates is going well and your back is doing great. I have been stretching after my workouts but my shoulder starting bothering me for a few days out of no where again an I gave it some rest and things are fine now.

DH has been doing most of the cooking lately and I am planning the meals. I have been using pinterest more so it has been working for us. Sometimes that means cooking two meals if it is something the boys won't eat, but we make it work. I found a copy cat chick-fil-a sandwich recipe on Pinterest and the boys really like it so that is our go to recipe for quick meal for them when we need to now. We are trying to eat healthier. I purchased a zucchini spiraler earlier this year and we use it now instead of pasta. I wasn' t sure if DH would like it but he actually does. DS soon to be 17 next month got his license a few weeks ago. We actually got him a 2009 Toyota corolla for Christmas (even though it was a few weeks before Christmas but he knew it was his gift). The goal was to get him a car so he could get used to driving it in time to take his driving test. We really contemplated on the $$ to spend but decided to go newer in hopes it could last. I know that is always a tough decisions when it comes to teens but we also had to think about safety. I originally thought about paying cash for the vehicle but this one had really low miles (63,000) so we choose it and financed it. We had seen some with 120,000 miles to 150,000 miles at a great price but just didn't think it was in the condition that we wanted it to be. I also didn't want to deal with major repairs for him. We now have a small car payment but I decided that I could keep my 10 year old van a little longer if I decided to as I know how it has been taking care by me. I have been wanting to replace it with a car or SUV because I am tired of being a mini van mom now that my kids are older. Anyway, that choice is mine for later but for right now---I am happy with the decision to get him a vehicle so he can take himself to some of his evening school activities. Driving is a huge responsibility for teens and like any parent, I do worry.

We are gearing up for baseball season so things will be very busy. DS found out yesterday that he made the varsity team. He understands he may not get much playing time and he is totally content with that. He is a base runner and they value his speed to when they know they need that scoring run so usually that is his advantage at tryouts as he is not just a kid is is mediocre at baseball but he can run. He has improved alot from last year so he said the coach told him that he should get more playing time his senior year next year. We have been doing indoor training for both boys the last two months but my youngest has been training more because of the days organized by his travel team.

Oh my===I have been typing for a while. I guess that shows that I really miss you ladies. I better run so I can get ready for work.

Hi everyone!
I hope everyone is doing well. So glad you are still here! I think of you often and miss checking in. It's been incredibly busy and quite honestly I've been less focused on working out -- however I still am working out. I'm still enjoying the basics of Strong Curves, PiYo, and of course Cathe.

Thank you for your kind words about Whisper. Joey is settling in but the girls look at us like "why did you bring Hurricane Joey into our home?!" They're about 10 and mellow; Joey is about 2 and still has so much puppy in him... he's still chasing butterflies and is OBSESSED with squirrels! He's a lot of fun and he has brought back some spunk into Dawn. Aurora, well, she doesn't want him in her 4' bubble -- but she's getting cranky like that with Dawn, too, so I think she's just losing patience overall. They are like kids! LOL!

Stacie,
I've been reading a lot about nutrition, as you know, and have learned that adding fermented foods and drinks, cutting out as many GMOs as possible, adding healthy fats (cold-pressed virgin coconut oil, avocados, grass-fed dairy [cheese and butter/ghee and milk], fermented cod liver oil with a high quality butter oil (Blue Ice by Green Pastures is the best), bone broths, and (check this out -- ) raw eggs and liver help tremendously with brain function/focus not to mention over-all well-being to the body/teeth/bones. This is not a quick fix but it has been researched plenty and is the recommended treatment (based on many, many studies) over pharmaceutical drugs for all kinds of things. I'd seriously give it a try and I'm glad you are not quick to put Tyler on drugs. What I wish is that health insurance and flexible spending accounts would accept the cost of these things instead of only paying for drugs. Seriously, maybe take Tyler to a Nutritional Therapist; it certainly doesn't hurt to see what a person with a holistic background has to say. Since I've incorporated these principles into my dietary intake I've noticed a difference overall, especially brain function and digestion.

Heartymax,
Such an exciting time--driving (congrats on his great Christmas present -- car!), varsity baseball, eating healthier. All is going well! I'm on the Glassboro waiting list but I've decided not go to. I'm not signing up for the Daytona trip, either. It's easily a grand for me to do either trip and I've decided to hold off on spending that kind of money. However next year I'm shooting for Glassboro, though.

Nancy,
Here's another cyperspace person sharing DOMS :) RWH Ba/S/Bi. Love it. Glad you're still kicking butt and mixing it up.

Caitlin,
Hope all is well with you!

Everyone, take care and have a great day.

Stacie,
I forgot to mention -- I believe Tash stopped Body Beast to continue with Nia Shanks' program... Nia's is a very basic and less time-consuming program but a very effective program; she needed more simplicity in life. It also seems like she' more interested in getting outside with Bella than being inside doing DVDs, so there's that factor as well.

Good morning all! I'm moved onto the next phase of Body Beast today....Bulk! I've been doing a good job on staying focused with the workouts but not so great on checking in. Work is a killer again which actually kinda bothers me a lot since I changed companies to avoid this. Anyway, it's still better than my last job.

HeartyMax, welcome back! It's great to hear from you again. I'm holding strong on my medication stance although sometimes I wonder. My son already takes two to three medications a day due to his asthma and allergies. He is almost 10 and weighs a whopping 55lbs. We are working on finishing up his last karate belt so we can drop it from our plate. I'm also going to be purchasing a house before July which might mean a change in schools. I think a reset for Tyler in regards to school might be a good thing for both of us. There is a little town called Franktown that has much smaller classroom sizes....about half of what he has now. I am considering moving around that area in hopes of it making a difference for him. I'm not 100% decided yet though since it will mean a longer drive to everywhere else.

Jennifer, I've read that food diets and other things may be impacting him. The weird thing is that it is really just school that the focus issues exist. I tell other parents about the school's recommendation and they are all really surprised since none of us see it outside of the emvironment. I wish I could spend more time at the school. Whenever, I go to the parties, he seems really focused on the task at hand. It's all really weird.

Hi Ladies. So tired of this unpredictable weather. We are headed to GA to visit family for the break so I am looking forward to warm weather next week. At least i hope it will be warm.

Stacie-good luck with your house hunting. Smaller classes sounds great. School can be tough for all kids but i see the challenges for ADHD. The right environment and teacher can truly make a difference.

Jennifer-I saw the announcement about the Daytona trip. I wanted to go last year but it's too expensive. The Glassboro trip is a train ride lowering the cost. I know you have to fly either way. I am going to miss you. Right now--I am not connected to any one on the forum who is going right now.

Got in AOLH today. Gotta run.

Hi there!
The new dog is doing great but man, he's just like a baby. Sleep?! This 2am thing has been a challenge. One good thing is at least I've learned how to fall back asleep by 3am and get another couple hours of shut-eye.
I'm taking advantage (finally) of the Work From Home one day weekly. This allows me to skip the awful commute and also not have to worry about washing my hair and getting dressed for work. Hence it's okay if I sleep and workout later in the morning.

Stacie,

Congrats on the next phase of Body Beast, BULK! WoHoo!
Sorry to hear about your job. Won't retirement be great?!
How exciting to be planning a move to a place that has a better school district :) It definitely sounds like Tyler is amazing and it just sounds like the classes are large; maybe he's too smart and bored so he just does what kids do -- enjoy themselves :)

Heartymax,
I sure understand the unpredictable weather. We had 80 degrees one day and then a few days later we ended up with sleet. I can't complain since at least we're not getting belted with snow over and over again. It still is tough, though, going from Spring-like weather then back to winter.
I know you'll have a great trip and a wonderful time in GA :)

Have a great day everyone! Have a wonderful Easter in case I don't get to check in for awhile.

Hello ladies!! Sorry I have been MIA for a while. I have only been working out 3-4 times a week(my new schedule). I have been very active in church and I have discovered a new passion, writing, which isn't leaving me as much time as I used to have. I started a blog in February, which has kept me very busy. After two months of entries, I finally think I have a structure to it. My blog is about my journey to spiritual maturity. I'm not sure what possessed me to be so open and transparent in this blog, but it has been a blessing in my life so far.

Oh, we have a new puppy!! He's the cutest Shorkie you ever did see. He totally looks like an ewok!!

My workouts are nothing special lately. Usually something that is 45-60 minutes. Today was the step portion of Low Max. Tomorrow I will do the RF abdominal workout.

Tracie
I think a new school system might be a good move also. If you can, call the school and see what types of services they have for kids that might have special needs. It might help you decide if that longer drive is worth it. I so with there was an easy button when it comes to know what to do with our kids #sigh

Jennifer
I'm in the new doggie club with you. Love our new edition!! I hope yours is fitting in well, besides the 2am wake up call that is :)

HeartyMax
Congrats to your son for making the varsity team! That's awesome :)

I am back and the weather was absolutely gorgeous almost every day while we were in Georgia. Celebrated my mom in laws 91st birthday, visited some old friends and got in one college tour with my son. It is so hard to believe that he will be a senior next year. So much to do in the next year.

Jennifer--glad your new doggie feels welcome and others don't mind sharing the "LOVES". Congrats on your chance to tele-work from home. More and more companies are getting on board.

Toni--Wow, you have definitely been busy. There is nothing like discovering something that gives you peace. I am glad that your blog has been a blessing to your life and I am sure it is for others as well. Congrats on your new puppy and I am sure the kiddos are just loving that. Our Max is about to turn 8 years ago and it seems like yesterday that we brought him home in a basket.

No workouts while I was away but I got back right back to it upon our return. I decided to do a little STS so Saturday was disc 1 followed by elliptical cardio. Sunday was To The Max and Today was Disc 2 back and triceps followed by a variety of planks. I don't want to say that I am doing a rotation because that sounds like a big commitment. I am just taking it one week at a time:).

Back to work tomorrow!

Hello!

I did STS shoulders (the first shoulder disc in m2) -- good workout. I still just really like Burnsets; I guess because the UB premix is on it and I like doing a set or two of everything even if I don't do the entire workout at least I get to hit hard and heavy all the UB groups. I'm getting better and working my biceps so at least there's that :) Doing all the pushups I do (PiYo, Pilates, Burnsets, FlexTrain) really has made my triceps much stronger... I have gone from using 8# to using 10#-12# for cross-body extentions!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter. Craig's mom is in town (from Ohio); we enjoyed celebrating her 83rd birthday Thursday -- I made that Pancit birthday recipe from Cathe's website (it is wonderful -- we all loved it) and also celebrating Easter together. After church we went to a Japanese buffet and met my dad there as well. We meant to get our picture taken with us since we were all together (and dressed in our best!) but completely forgot -- doh! Craig's driving her back to Ohio Wednesday... he's a wonderful son. Since she doesn't drive too much anymore (or fly or take the train) he actually drove 8 hours (one way) to pick her up and the very next day he brought her and her little dog (Lacey) here. It worked out really well because we didn't have to find a dog sitter and cut our vacation time short to go visit her for a week... this way we were able to spend more time with her. Naturally he will have to drive her back home to Ohio and then drive back.

At the buffet I really tried not to judge so I am praying for them... There were 2 morbidly obese people; one was in an electric wheelchair. I couldn't help but think how sad it was that they were at a buffet. I recently watched the documentary Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead. It was really got me thinking about juicing and maybe that couple would benefit from it -- at least even just 2 meals a day. Sure, juicing is costly but the cost of their medical expenses have to be through the roof and completely on-going and everlasting. Juicing could potentially cure them so the cost would be minimal comparatively speaking. I mentioned it to my boss today and she told me about a documentary that she recently watched -- http://video.pbs.org/program/rx-quiet-revolution/ -- she said it was really good. I have the PBS channel on my Roku (yes, I'm gearing up for Cathe On Demand and I already subscribe to Food Matters TV [FMTV]) so I'm hoping to check it out. It's a different style of script writing for doctors that is making a good impact on patients. I'm really looking forward to watching it.

Heartymax,

Sounds like you all had a wonderful time in GA, and a college tour to boot! An exciting time for your son for sure :)
Nice job of enjoying your family, friends, and vacation and then jumping back into your workous; sounds like you are on top of your game and have your life very well-balanced.

Nancy, Stacie, Toni, and Caitlin -- I hope you all are doing well.

Have a wonderful day, everyone!

Good morning all! I hope you had a wonderful Easter! I'm finally feeling pretty healthy again. I had to take a week and a half off from working out due to a virus my niece gave me. It went through most of my family like a wild fire. We caught it from her at my other nieces's birthday party. We're all feeling better now which is good. This morning I restarted BB bulk.

Toni, congrats on finding a new passion! Blogging is a good way to capture your thoughts. I hope you keep it up!

HeartyMax, welcome back! It sounds like you had a busy but productive visit. Time goes by very quickly doesn't it? It feels like yesterday that my son was just learning to walk. It's great you were able to be there for your mother-in-law too. 91 is great a year to make!

Jennifer, I don't think I have ever been to a Japanese buffet. It's sad about the morbidly obese people you saw. I can't imagine what it would be like to be in a wheelchair. Hopefully staying active will prevent that.

It's great that you were also able to see Craig's mom! I love spending time with the elderly people in my family. Thinking of you and HeartyMax reminds me that I really need to see my great aunt. She turned 81 in March and I promised to take her out to dinner.

Have a great day!!!!!

I haven't been posting here as much as I should be :oops:...I've been doing quick posts to my status and a few other posts on the forum when time permits.
I'm still working out hard with Cathe and added my "birthday challenge" for the year: PULL-UPS!!! My DH installed a pull-up bar in the lab where I work and today was day one. I used 2 assist bands (light & medium) and did 3 sets of 6 reps. The last set nearly took me out! I'm going to really work on this...the intention is to be able to do at least a few un-assisted pull-ups by the time by next birthday rolls around.
I also have been making water kefir and it's been great! Great way to get the probiotics in! My co-worker gave me a dehydrator for my birthday and I made my first batch of cinnamon-apple chips yesterday. I will being putting this toy to good use since I've been making my own trail bars and love fruit in them! Also want to make bison jerky in the future.
Sounds like everyone else has been very busy and discovering new talents (TONI!!!!).
Hope to post here more often....

This morning was STS disc 3 legs. I kept my weights in my hand on those sliding back lunges:). I added on some leg lifts using DH weight machine instead of doing the chair exercises at the end. Then I wrapped up with a variety of plank moves that I could remember from Horizontal Conditioning (no need to pop in the DVD for a few minutes). I hope I can walk tomorrow---especially since i missed my cardio yesterday. I can't afford a rest day tomorrow---but I will have to see what my legs say about that:).

Nancy---I think it's cool that you set a new exercise goal on your birthday every year. I don't know if I could ever do a pull up---then again I remember when i didn't think I could ever do a push up:) Keep us posted on your progress. You are warrior strong so I know you will do great.

Stacie---glad you over the nasty buy and getting back into routine. So how are you liking body beast?

Jennifer--I understand what you mean by trying not to judge. A healthy lifestyle is one that is not easy for all to embrace. I recently read a news area about the area where I grew up and said that my hometown has some of the most unhealthy people in the area. I am truly believe that you have to surround yourself by people who appreciate fitness the way you do. That is what I love about the Cathe forum. A few years ago a colleague told me that I helped her lose weight. She said that being around me everyday, hearing me talk about my workouts made her work out and eat healthier. She said that she knew she didn't want to complain about losing weight yet wasn't doing anything about it. She wanted to be able to join in on the conversation with me over lunch about health.

Gotta Run. Enjoy your day ladies.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.