Push It January 2014

Just finished 30 Day Shred Level 1. Gotta hop into the shower because we're going to a hockey game tonight. Go Avs!!!!

Yesterday was HC V2 and today was Totally Cool Step(Christy Taylor). I can't do nearly what I could do before with HC, but I was happy with what I could do. Step was much better today. My carido endurance is increasing. My entire body is tired though. My arms, core and legs are burning!! Thankfully, tomorrow is a rest day. Wed will be High Reps, Thurs Kickboxing, and Friday Spin. I'm hoping I can manage that!! I'm anticipating being pretty wiped out this week after that schedule, but my kids are leaving for their dad's house on Wed and I can veg out after my workouts so that will help.

Jennifer - your post reminded me I could also add Pyramid to my workouts :) I've never done the upper only premix, but I think that would actually work for me right now.

Nancy - Thank you so much, that was really nice :) After my surgery my belly is super flat!! My doc said he gave me a mini tummy tuck while doing my incision, so I am kind of motivated to get the rest of my body in good shape to go with my new flat belly :)

Going to go take a nap at lunch!!

Hello; happy short work-week :)
I hope everyone had a great weekend.
The band was fun -- one of the guys kept spraying his hair with hair spray and then fluffing it up; they were so funny. They put on a good 80s hair-band show. Luckily the bar was completely NON smoking :) Gotta say I drank one too many. I'm not much of a drinker BUT they had these really good drinks; a shot of cinnamon fire whatever it's call in an apple cider beer. YUM. I wasn't driving so it was okay, but I woke up the next morning with a headache. Lucky for me the perfect cure is a decent cardio workout so I popped in Party Rockin Step #2 and got down to business. Then I cleaned the dusty residue from the windows being mudded and sanded.

I thought Sunday would be a rest day but we decided to go to church Saturday night just in case we wanted to skip Sunday... good thing because I felt miserable when I first woke up.

The bone broth turned out excellent and so did my soup! To the bone broth I added chopped celery, chopped carrots, and broccoli florets and let that simmer for a while; then I added a few handfuls of kale and let that simmer for a while, then at the end I added a few handfuls of spinach then stirred/melted a big plop of ghee (could use tahini but I didn't have any). When it cooled off a bit I put it in my Ninja to mix it really well and blend it into a thicker consistency. Wow was it good! I portioned out some meat and added the soup to the meat portions. What a powerhouse of a meal! I ended up reserving a jar of broth so I could make soup again (instead of making bullion cubes in an ice cube tray). I feel like I've turned into such a foodie but I'll tell you what, it really has made a huge difference for my health.

Nancy,

Woopsies! Sorry about the clasps but I can easily see how that happens :)
I've only recently heard of bone broth but it really is a healing super food.

Stacie,
How was the hockey game? I hope Avalanche won or that it was at least a great game!
I've heard good things about 30-day Shred.

Toni,
Awesome flat belly! You are on a role, too - your workouts sound great, and that they've been working your muscles!
Sounds like you'll have a nice, relaxing few days to recover :)

Have a great day!

Good morning! No workout on Sunday even though I should have. I was able to pick some new used equipment though! A lady was selling a 9lb body bar, 12lb body bar, and a 6lb medicine ball. I was able to get all three for $30!!! [emoji2] This morning was 30 day Shred again. My goal is to do that workout twice a week, two weight workouts a week and 1 or 2 steady state workouts a week. I'll level up on 30 day shred every two weeks. The disc has four workouts....levels 1-4. I hoping this will help me get ready to add more Cathe cardio workouts.

Nancy, what a bummer about the clasps...at least you are making progress though!

Jennifer, the Avs did win the game! We thought they were going to lose for while because they were behind for most of it. The lady sitting next to me was nice but a little crazy. She even got really excited once when the Avalanche scored a goal and somehow fell down a row. Luckily, there were people sitting below us so she didn't get hurt but they weren't too happy to have a woman come tumbling down on top of them!

The broth sounds great! I have some chicken that I need to boil and freeze so that making soup doesn't take too long. Your posts keep reminding me that I need to do that soon!

Toni, enjoy your down from the kids although I'm sure you'll miss them. I know I do when Tyler is gone. Sometimes it hits the minute he gets out of the car.

Have a fantastic day everyone!!!

Good morning,
Things have been slow at work so I've had extra time to check in. Yesterday I tried Great Glutes in the other DVD player and it worked fine. I loved that workout when it first came out (Great Glutes Extreme premix); it's still fun but it's not a butt kicker for me anymore. Must be time to up my weights (by a LOT) in the standing portion and add weights during the gliding portion.

I skipped today so I could get to work early and leave early; I have a hair cut apt at 3:30. Flex time is very convenient.

I'd guess you all have been hearing what's going on outside of St. Louis in Ferguson. It is just awful. Such a sad time for all of us right now. The jury heard and saw all the evidence and found the cop innocent... the looting and destruction is simply an opportunity for people to do what they want to do -- take advantage of the opportunity. Most of the people who have been arrested in the previous outbreaks don't even live in our city -- they've taken a bus here. It's just wrong and I am so sorry for all the people of the city. I'm glad Obama spoke about it but sure wish he would have spoke about it BEFORE the jury made the decision so he could have put the bug in their ear to keep things peaceful. However I don't really think it would have made a difference. Please keep Ferguson in your thoughts and prayers.

Stacie,

Yay for the Avs! I'm glad that lady (and the people in the row in front of her) didn't get hurt but I can just visualize what happened and it is pretty funny! I'm sure it was scary at the time but it's almost like a clip out of America's Funniest Home Videos!
Congrats on your awesome deals - I'd not have been able to pass that up, either! Body bars are expensive and they'd come in handy.
It is flu season so it's the best time for healthful soups :)

Have a good day, everyone.

Just wanted you all to know that in the Recipes section of the forum I added more-in-depth instructions for making bone broth.
Enjoy!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!! I'm not sure I'll get in a workout today. Yesterday I did Pyramid Upper Body. I posted about a Beach body Sale in the open discussion area and I think the admins of the site deleted it which was weird because posts like that used to be allowed. Anyway, I picked up Les Mills Pump and P90X for super cheap. I've been thinking of getting them for awhile although I'm not positive that I'll like Pump since it's high reps.

I hope you all have wonderful Thanksgiving! :)

Had a great T-Day with my DH: hiking our favorite state park (IT WAS COLD!!!!), coming home to Epsom salt baths, and enjoying a really good dinner! This has been our "tradition" for the past few years and we love it! I had a precooked organic free range turkey breast; root mash (russet potato, sweet potato, turnip, parsnip, and carrots); and cranberry/fig relish ready to go when we got home...all I had to do was steam up the brussels sprouts! A light, but festive meal! Pumpkin Smoothies for dessert! I made turkey veggie soup in the crock pot and turkey sandwiches with avocado and alfalfa sprouts for us to nosh on over the weekend. Lots of salad, too!
For workouts I did the aforementioned hike, Flextrain, and yesterday was party Rockin' Step. I think today will be a total body weight workout and a walk.
It's been nice to just hang out and relax without having any social obligations! Christmas will be a lot of driving and a lot of social engagements. At least I'm able to keep up with the workouts while we're out of town ;) !

Hi! Well my home PC is a mess. Everything's backed up (external hard drive) so I deleted all my files, ran the CC cleaner, defragged, restarted, and BAM - still not working well. So I've ran disc cleanup and am defragging again. I'm not really busy at work so I'm able to take advantage of my *extra* time and use my work PC. A new PC is not high on my priority list right now. Yet. I wonder how much longer I'll be able to hold out before I determine that it's an emergency. I mean really -- in today's day how can anyone not have a PC? And my phone is okay but trying to type long emails and things using a small touch screen would drive me crazy. There's probably an inexpensive bluetooth accessory for a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone but keeping up with technology is expensive!

SO...

In the Cathletes FB group a bunch of us posted selfies of our backs. Okay, I'm motivated -- I did STSm3 disc 15 Back today. I plan to do that 2x/week in conjunction with Flextrain and/or Pyramid Bonus (and other glute and cardio work).
I really like the back work on disc 15 but skipped Biceps because I made time to do PiYo's Sweat as my warmup. I love the way it stretches me out and it also works the chest, triceps, and legs pretty well. It's just over 35 minutes so it's not very long, and it's a great warm up for heavy weight work.

Thanksgiving was great; my dad surprised us and showed up at 1:00 and I was just finishing up my workout (BM2 cardio & power circuits w/band walks). It's a little embarrassing to have my dad see me in my compression gear working out.... and Craig was cleaning the basement. Obviously we weren't expecting him that early; hopefully next time we can coordinate a time better -- or if not maybe he'll call before showing up.

The turkey turned out great; did a breast with celery/parsley/onion/garlic/ghee. It made a wonderful, juicy turkey breast! I also steamed fresh green beans (instead of green bean casserole), baked a butternut squash (with a frozen cherry pie), made mashed potatoes, and opened the box of pumpkin pie I bought from Whole Foods. Craig opened a can of gravy and made the box of Stove Top stuffing. So it was a very easy dinner; also fairly light. I saved the bones from the turkey and am looking forward to my next batch of bone broth.

It was a nice day and a very nice, long weekend :)

Stacie,
That is strange that your thread got deleted! Someone on FB posted about a BB sale. I thought about P90X3 for about 3 seconds and then decided against it. I liked it okay but don't need to spend the money on more workout stuff.

Good job with PUB! It's always been one of my faves. I hope you like Pump; I've heard good things about it. Like you I'm not a big fan of high rep work but it works different muscle fibers so it is a good addition to workouts.

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

Nancy,
Sounds like you indeed had a wonderful dinner and weekend! Cranberry/Fig relish sounds wonderful. I made a dried fruit bar with figs and love it... prunes, raisins, figs, organic grass-fed whey protein powder (Organic 17 I think is the name of it), and coconut oil. Very tasty!

I hear ya' -- things will get super busy later this year! My Wednesday classes will be cancelled on Christmas and New year's eves -- glad for that but will miss the $60. But it really will give me a much needed break from classes. Since they are a responsibility and a forced format it's not the same as doing the workouts I love to do when I love doing them.

I best get - have an awesome day!

Good morning all! I hope you all had a great Thanksgiving! I didn't work out Thursday thru Sunday unless you count several days of hauling and stacking wood for my mom. Today was another round of 30 Day shred Week 1.

Nancy, a hike sounds wonderful! Hiking season is over here....there's too much snow in the mountains now. I've always wanted to try snow shoeing though. It's something I should look into more now that Tyler is a little older.

Jennifer, I didn't realize there was a Cathete group on Facebook. Is Natasha on there?

Your dinner sounds wonderful. I admit I ate pretty poorly all weekend. Tyler and I were actually happy to eat fish for dinner when we got back. :)

Btw, what is your computer doing? Just running slow? It might be you have a virus or spyware. Spyware runs constantly and really slows things down. Another thought might be your virus software. Some of them have built in firewalls and you have to manually disable the built in Windows one or they start bouncing off each other.

Well, I better get back to work!

Stacie,
DEFINITELY
count hauling wood! That is hard work!

Tis the season to eat the rich foods... I just can't do it anymore so I'm more particular about what I eat. Since I did the cooking I had a say in the menu :) I'm glad you enjoyed fish when you got back home! That will reset the senses :)

I thought I was virus and spyware protected -- but perhaps I'm not as covered as I thought. Yes, it's super slow and freezing. Thanks for the thought - I didn't think of that!

Tasha is not in the Cathlete FB group although I invited her to join it. Are you FB friends with her? I'll message you her FB info in case you're not already friends with her.

Hi ladies!
Today was X10 step.
I'm not sure if the 26 minutes went by fast or if it really is only a 10-minute workout (I didn't even check the clock).
I think it might be 10 minutes of step only (nothing fancy, just fast and powerful moves) and then the rest is some metabolic weight work with shoulders, biceps, and stepups (plus a warmup and stretch). Either way, it is a good blast that went by fast.

Tomorrow will be Strong Curves glutes and who knows what... Drench maybe, or FlexTrain.

Turkey bone broth should be finished when I get home from work. I am so hooked on bone broth! Just a cup is supposed to do wonders for our health.

Later this week I'm going to thaw a chicken in a bottle (or 2) of pumpkin beer and water then then cook it in the crock pot on low for 5 hours with celery/onion/carrot in the crock pot. Apparently allowing the chicken to thaw and sit in it's brine for about 24 hours before cooking is supposed to really make the meat extra flavorful which makes sense. I'm just glad I'm finally branching out and experimenting.

Stacie,
My husband looked at my PC with me; apparently the drive was (still) full. I deleted more unused programs and manually disabled a bunch of start up programs (his suggestion); AMAZING. We didn't disable any firewalls but I see what you mean about how they could have been bouncing off each other... thank you for your help! Luckily no spyware or virus -- although since checking our Norton 360 is only 41 days away from expiring so that was good to know.
The PC seems to be okay now :) It's a pretty old Vista Compaq laptop and I know eventually I'll have to upgrade.
Thanks again for your help!

Have a great day!

Good morning all! No workout on Tuesday and Wednesday for various reasons. Today was Bis and Tris Burnsets.

Jennifer, that's great news about the computer and a good catch. I'm glad it's working better for you. Thanks for the PM...I'll look into the FB info soon! :)

Hi ladies,
Happy Friday!

I received my shipping notice! I should have the new DVDs by Monday! So not sure sure which to do first; it will be hard to decide and I guess it will also depend on which type of workout I'm ready to do when they arrive. Anyone else?

Wednesday was strong curves Glute work followed by STS m2 disc 15 back only (again); so much for PiYo. It is really good with upper body chest and triceps; not much for shoulders and definitely not good for biceps or back.
Thursday was Flextrain.
Today was Intensity step portion.

I'm not sure what's on tap for the weekend.

I honestly don't taste a difference at all in the chicken that I let sit in pumpkin beer and purified water for 36 hours. Craig talked me down from 3 beers to just 2... Maybe I needed more beer, or maybe I needed to let it sit in the brine longer. It's still good, though. I'm glad I made it when I did because it was nice to have some chicken/veggie soup for lunch today; I've been up/down with cold symptoms a few times this week. I suppose a light day is in order, or maybe a rest day altogether.

Stacie,
Burnsets is a killer! Are you finding that you're gaining your strength back quickly?

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Hi there! No workout yesterday...I had trouble sleeping the night before so I felt really headachy. Not a stellar week....only three workouts this week. It's better than 0 though which is where I was a couple months ago so I'll take it! :) Today was Burnsets CBS. I know I'm going to be feeling that one tomorrow!!!

Jennifer, you're so lucky to have gotten your shipping notice!!! Nothing for me yet. I did buy the downloads though but I'm going to wait late tonight to get those. I know it will be close to hopeless to get them now.

As for strength coming back, it's happening surprisingly fast....almost so fast I'm nervous I am overdoing it. Before I stopped working out, I was matching or slightly exceeding Cathe. When I started back up again. I stayed at half or less. It's been five weeks now and I'm at about 2/3 of her weight values now. I'm trying to be very cautious about my form and making sure I am really capable of that weight but it's very exciting! :)

I've never though about cooking chicken in beer! I had a coworker that used to swear by using tequila when cooking chicken fajitas. Of course, I used to tease him about it but it did sound really good!

By the way, the new Beach body workouts come next week. Between that and Cathe's new ones, it's going to be hard to choose workouts! ;)

Well, I need to shower so we can head out to the Parade of Lights tonight. Have a great night!

Hey everyone!! Sorry I haven't posted, I've been having a bit of cheer drama with Jasmine. I had to pull her from the gym she was at because it was so poorly run that I felt things were becoming unsafe for her. She's going to be out for the rest of the season. The only other option I have for putting her back in cheer is a local gym. However, that gym is super expensive. I'm estimating approx $7,000 for the season for tuition and travel. That's A LOT of money!!! I think I can pull it off for one year, but it just seems like a lot of money. I'm still thinking about it.

I did get 4 workouts in last week. It was my first week doing real strength workouts. For UB I did TBT UB Split and for LB I did XT Legs standing portion only. I had intended to to standing and ball and chair from XT Legs, but I was wiped out by the end of standing so I just ended it. And boy or boy am I sore today!! For cardio I did the first half of Solid Gold Step(Christy Taylor). It's more intense than Christy's other step routine, and I only had enough leg endurance to get through half. The good thing is that my cardio capacity has not been a limitation this week. I just need my strength(mostly endurance) to come back to match my cardio capacity. My other workout this week was MMA Kickbox. That workout is now back to the fairly easy category and I was able to do most of the abs. By the end of December I think I will be ready to do at least the 2 circuit workouts from the new series(I got my shipping notice today) and the low impact HiiT. I had to scrap my idea of doing HC because it proved too intense for my fitness level right now. My lats and all the supporting muscles around my rib cage are really weak, which is completely confusing to me. Because most of my workouts use all of my body in some way, my core gets really tired after most of my workouts. I feel tired just sitting up after some of the workouts. I really need the three rest days in my workout weeks.

I have to run. Be back for personals tomorrow after my workout :)

Got my shipping notice on Friday and have been anticipating delivery on Tuesday :):):)!!!! I've been doing a week of alternate days of Muscle Max with PRS#2 and Tabatacise in between. Yesterday was Pyramid Total Body Bonus Combo. Today is supposed to be a rest day, so I'll probably walk and try out Stretch Max with the stability ball. I really loved the one with the stretch band! I was planning on doing alternate days total body weight workouts with cardio in between up through the week I have to travel for the Holly Daze. The hotel we stay at has weights and I planned on doing Burn Sets and cardio (one body part per day) everyday. But now that RWH will be arriving I can throw that plan out the window :rolleyes:! I don't know which workout I'll try first...depends on the fear factor after I preview them! I am really looking forward to this new series...need to up my game!

Toni, $7000 DOES sound like a lot of money! I'm all for giving young folks the opportunities they need to stay fit, but that is a lot of cash to lay out :eek:! I hope things work out for you! Your own fitness progress has been very impressive! I imagine the core strength issue will be the last thing to resolve itself; you endured quite a bit of physical trauma!

Stacie, way to stick it out! 3 times a week is nothing to scoff at! I think the way you're doing things makes perfect sense and will ultimately get you back to your fighting form! Rushing into advanced workouts after a break is a sure way to get injured. The shorter time frame of RWH will probably work better with your schedule and I bet you'll be amazed at how far you've come!

Jennifer, I hope you licked that cold before it got the best of you! I hate when I'm cruising along through a rotation or just on a really good roll fitness wise, and all of a sudden you get sidelined with illness! My rule is that I'll work out through any aliment from the neck up...if I have symptoms below the neck I wait it out. Of course, fatigue is a huge factor there as well...I won't lift weights if I'm too tired...it's too easy to use bad form. About X10: I find those workouts to be amazing! Cathe really packs in a wallop in those 10 minutes...I haven't tried one since my intestinal bug a few weeks back, but I think I HAVE to get a session in this week! X77 was the toughest cardio I have ever done...I knew I was in trouble right off the bat with the step segment! Yikes! I won't attempt that again for a while. ;)

HeartyMax, I hope you're doing okay and getting some good workouts in...I'm sure you're counting down the days until you get Christmas Break! Are you traveling this year?

Well, it's a cold but sunny day out there and I'm going to get a walk in before I lose the day by doing something stupid like cleaning!:p

Good morning! Yesterday was 30DS level 2. Today was BSBT. I'm enjoying how this combination is going.

I had a nice surprise when we came home from the parade. My Les Mills order was waiting outside the door! I didn't expect that at all since it was a Saturday! I also got all of the RWH workouts downloaded last night. I'm waiting for the workout guide to be full uploaded before I place them into my schedule.

Nancy, some of the clips of RWH hit did look pretty scary! Take a look at the partial upload of the user's guide if you get a chance. Cathe has a few rotations listed that use some of her other series. :)

Good morning! No workout yesterday. Today was JM 30DS Week 2. I did better on it today than the first time. Some of moves in plank form were hard due to back and shoulder soreness. I think that's still from Saturday!!!

I received my DVDs yesterday! I haven't opened the package yet but maybe tonight. Have a great day everyone!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.