puppy won't sleep

igglesfan

Cathlete
OK so we just got a 10 week old yellow lab a week and a half ago. He is cute as a button and very lovable. My problem is he won't sleep at night. I know he is just a baby but since I stay at home, I'm the one who is sleeping downstairs with him at night and I'm exhausted. We run him ragged during the day hoping it will wear him out but he just takes a quick nap and off he goes. Any ideas or suggestions? I know there are a lot of doggy experts out there so any help is MUCH appreciated. Thanks for the help.

I don't know where he is sleeping but is he possibly crate trained? Do you have a crate for him? He is just a baby and like most babies he probably just doesn't sleep thru the night yet. I am a big believer in crate training.

Crate training! Both my dogs are crate trained, they love them, it's like having their own little bedroom.

My puggle is just over a year old. When I got her I got 2 crates for her--one for the LR next to her big brother's, where they stay when I'm at work, & one for the BR, where she slept right next to the bed. Both crates got "linens" that she's familiar & comfortable with.

At first she'd cry a little when we went to bed, but I just ignored her & eventually she went in willingly & fell right to sleep.

Just this week I got rid of the BR crate b/c I felt like she wouldn't cause any trouble while I'm sleeping. But we all slept just fine when she was in it. :)

He is definitely in a crate but he is not a big fan of it. He'd rather lay on the floor under my feet, but I still can't trust him while I fall asleep to be out of his crate. As soon as we put him in he begins to cry. I have started running the dryer which is next to his room and that lulls him into a short nap. I'll do it to get some rest but I'm not looking forward to my electric bill!

Those little puppy whines are hard to resist. :p

Where do you want him to sleep? Crate? Dog bed? Your bed?

You'll want to break the "sleeping downstairs with him at night" habit immediately and start acclimating him to where you want him to sleep...there will be whining at first, but he'll get used to it. In general, I think getting your little guy comfortable in a crate is a "must" whether he sleeps there or not. It should become his safe/quiet place.

This site has some useful articles on this:
Bed or Crate
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=1418&S=1&SourceID=47

I'll come clean and admit that my dogs have always slept on our bed (but they were also crate trained). I think it's me who likes having the "pack" together at night. :p

Our Newf Georgie wasn't crate trained, we placed a puppy pillow by our bed at night, the first month was the hardest. He would awake and whimper, but I would get up, lay down with him and reassure him all was okay.

I know this maybe isn't the "best" way, but it worked for us, once he felt confident in his surroundings he was fine. Then came the digging!:eek: But thats another story, thankfully he outgrew that too.;)

Ditto Tiffany!

Our Newf Georgie wasn't crate trained, we placed a puppy pillow by our bed at night, the first month was the hardest. He would awake and whimper, but I would get up, lay down with him and reassure him all was okay.

I know this maybe isn't the "best" way, but it worked for us, once he felt confident in his surroundings he was fine. Then came the digging!:eek: But thats another story, thankfully he outgrew that too.;)

We have operated in the same fashion for both of our newest pups, Zeus and Athena. Eventually, they will sleep through the night. Since you mentioned that you are home, I will also recommend that you try to exercise him regularly so that he is actually tired when bed time rolls around. We also made sure that we made bedtime a routine ie same time, same place, lights off, etc.etc.

HTH! Congrats on your new furry baby!

As a parent of 4 labs & the proud "Grandmama" to a litter of 9 choc lab pups I can tell you crate training is the only way to go!! We have our 2 parents crate trained, they are 2 yrs old & still sleep in their crates by choice. When they were pups we kept them downstairs in crates with a sound maker thing on that plays a heartbeat or a wind up clock, some kind of rhythmic sound. Thye really do outgrow this, it just takes time & patience.

Good luck!

Another thing to try is one of those wind up clocks that tick. They say it mimics a heartbeat? Or one of those stuffed bears that you turn on and you can hear womb sounds.

Just another idea.....

When we brought our puppy home a few years ago, the breeder told us to fill a plastic milk jug with warm water, wrap a towel around it and place it in the crate at night. It was supposed to mimic being next to it's mother or siblings. Then we were to place the crate next to our bed and if the puppy cried, we tap the crate and say NO. It broke my heart but after 2 nights, he was sleeping thru the night. It worked well for us.

Good luck:)

JJ

Having had 2 labs. this is as much "training the primary caregiver" as bonding with Mum and Dad. Yes, it may be a pup but this adorable little lump will emerge more human than dog. Roll those eyes pup Mummmy is taking it all in. He will settle down. I remember it all very well indeed.....

Congratulations on your new puppy...Our family just got a new mini dachshund puppy and she wouldn't sleep either. One night I fed her before bed and she has slept thru the night ever since. She was just hungry ...I hope this helps. Peggy

Ohh,Tiffany,you have a newfie!,they are the sweetest,mine is half newf and half lab and at 12 years old is still a big puppy

OMG! I have a 10 week old yellow Lab too!!! This is my first experience with a puppy, but DH had our other Lab (who is 10) as a puppy. The first few nights were really rough. We got him at 7 weeks old. He cried and cried in his crate for what felt like hours. I was so distraught and wanted to bring his crate upstairs to our bedroom. DH said that would be the biggest mistake we could make and assured me that the pup would "get it" after a while. Well, he was right. Honestly, I think he cried for only 3 days. Then he'd protest for just a few minutes when we put him in and then it tapered off to nothing.

He does however need to go out in the middle of the night. Sometimes it's once a night and others it's twice. He really does get it that even at 2 am when he gets to come out it's not playtime and he's going right back in the crate. It really is exhuasting and reminds me all too much of when my son was an infant. It's not forever though. So, from the short experience I've had, I'd say you just have to leave him in there and don't give in -- even though it's so hard to do. You'll be happy in a few days.

Now, if only I could get him to stop peeing in the house... Everything takes time. Good luck!!!

--Jennifer :)

Thank you all for the great ideas. He actually let me sleep for more than 2 hours at a stretch last night and went into his crate without a problem. We had him at the dog park last night and it wore him out. We put his "baby" (his furry toy) in his bed with him and I think that helped. Now I just have to break myself from sleeping downstairs with him. Maybe I should get a baby monitor? Thanks again everyone. He's a lot of work but he is definitely a cutie.

Hi Again, I just laughed about the baby monitor because I had the video monitor I usually keep in my son's room staring at our pup the first week!! It really was cute to look at him once he had fallen asleep.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.