Pssssst! Canadians!! The cat's away.....

O Canada! Terre de nos aïeux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux.
Car ton bras sait porter l'épée,
Il sait porter la croix.
Ton histoire est une épopée,
Des plus brillants exploits.
Et ta valeur, de foi trempée,
Protégera nos foyers et nos droits.

= (rough translation)
O Canada! Land of our forefathers
Your forehead is encercled by glorious (flowers)
Because your arm knows how to carry the sword
Il knows how to carry the cross
Your history is an epic
Of the most brilliant exploits
And your value, steeped in faith,
Will protect our households and our rights

Deep stuff!

Morningstar - I agree! That's a significant difference!

Here are the English lyrics:

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

Thank you for the translation, Kathryn!

Okay, Canadians, most of the Americans are still holidaying and shopping today. Let's see how much more Canadian content we can stuff on this site today!

What's the least polite thing you've ever said to a tourist?

What's the nicest, most polite thing you've ever said to, or done for, a tourist?

O Canada! Terre de nos aïeux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux.
Car ton bras sait porter l'épée,
Il sait porter la croix.
Ton histoire est une épopée,
Des plus brillants exploits.
Et ta valeur, de foi trempée,

= (rough translation)
O Canada! Land of our forefathers
Your forehead is encercled by glorious (flowers)
Because your arm knows how to carry the sword
Il knows how to carry the cross
Your history is an epic
Of the most brilliant exploits
And your value, steeped in faith,

Deep stuff!

Very good translation Kathryn!
Fleurons is translated by floweret in English (had to look in the dictionnay for this one!). I believe floweret is a crown ?
And I think "trempée" can also be translated by tempered. In French it can be used as drenched (as in very wet). I remember as a little girl asking my dad why was the faith wet!!! He explained the other meaning to me: "trempée" as tempered steel. I guess you can interpret it both ways. It works with both meanings!
Nathalie

Favorite Canadian shows Dragon's Den and Being Erica (also caught Battle of the Blades when Claude Lemieux sang Hallelujah...yes, I am a freak of nature)

Was a designer for the the 88 Olympics (Calgary was supposed to be a one year stop, it has been 22 years so far). I was dating an RCMP officer in the security detail so I got to see the awards every night.

My bet is on the ladies boarder x to medal at 2 times, men's boarder x to medal at least once. My oldest son does boarder x and he raced at the Cypress Hill 2 x for nationals. Very big, very scary course!!!!I have seen most of the Canadians race and Maelle and Dominique are the 2 best in the world.

The luge and bobsled all train at COP, 15 minutes from where we live, they are big and strong athletes, I also think Pierre Leuders will medal in sledding and he should be 1 or 2.

Don't have winter tires, just wait for a Chinook while I am wearing my Toque to melt the snow.

Best candy/chocolate Smarties, O Henry's, Coffee Crisp.

Used to know the words to the anthem in French, can barely even remember the new words to the English version (I know the words probably changed over 20 years ago.)

We have a bunch of Saskabooshers at work so the talk has definitely been all about the Grey Cup all week. Will probably watch it on TV.

Mr. Big is an awesome chocolate bar too.

I really like Dragon's Den, but have you ever seen Shark Tank from the States? Same basic premise, some of the same investors (but they call them Sharks instead) and they tend to be much more likely to give their money to the entrepreneurs. Not sure why the same people are more generous (or willing to take risks) when on an American show than a Canadian version of the same thing. I do tend to find the Canadian inventions more interesting, but the interaction between the investors is more interesting on the American version.

I don't drive, so I don't have winter tires, but I do have great winter boots! Since I walk through all weather, they are the most important gear I own. Although we haven't had a single flake so far...

I don't watch sports so much, unless it is single person sports or creative sports, like gymnastics, ice skating, ice dancing, diving, marathon running, or stunt skiing. Team sports leave me cold, so I probably won't be gettin' all excited when the Pan Ams get here in a few years.

I do remember Eddie the Eagle, but don't remember why I remember him...

I recognize the name Dudley DoRight, but who the hell is he?

Liked Kids in the Hall a lot, still think Scott Thompson is funny as hell, as well as David Foley (remember the skit with the ax murderer coming out of the house where he's just murdered all the inhabitants and he runs into a door to door knife sharpener? How about the Daves I know? And the Queen coming to visit with really bad gas? What crawled up her ass and died?) Actually, they're all pretty damned funny. But Less Than Kind still gets my vote for favourite Canadian series; I hope it comes back for another season or ten.

How about best American series shot in Canada? That gives us a lot to choose from! For me, it has to be Millennium. Such an amazing show, even with the incredibly weak third and final season.

I recognize the name Dudley DoRight, but who the hell is he?
He was a character in one of the cartoons that played on the "Rocky and Bullwinkle Show " (Rockey was a very smart flying squirrel and Bullwinkle was a rather stupid moose).

Dudley was an incompetent Mountie (shown riding his horse backwards) who loved Nell, and often had to save her from Snidely Whiplash (the mustach-twirling bad guy).

ETA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q83Jqd2h0Yg

Dudley was an incompetent Mountie

Wow, Kathyrn that's kind of harsh calling him incompetent :p

He always saved Nell in the end, and his heart was in the right place, so what more could you ask of a hero? :D

I like reading this thread, even if I am an interloper.

Wasn't X-Files filmed in Canada? (at least one of the movies was--Vancouver, BC I think?) That was one of my favorites in it's heyday...

Wasn't X-Files filmed in Canada? (at least one of the movies was--Vancouver, BC I think?) That was one of my favorites in its heyday...
Lots of American TV shows are filmed in Canada ("Supernatural" is one that comes to mind). It's cheaper than some US locals. Toronto, I think, is a popular local.

Lots of American TV shows are filmed in Canada ("Supernatural" is one that comes to mind). It's cheaper than some US locals. Toronto, I think, is a popular local.

Yep, they (I think "they" are my fellow Torontonians) call Toronto "Hollywood North". There are always movies and TV shows being filmed here. They transform Canadian places into American ones by adding American flags, American license plates, and imported taxis & police cars.

I guess I watch some Canadian content after all- here are some faves:

Dragon's Den
Canada's Next Top Model
The Hour (with George Stroumboulopoulos)
Corner Gas
Fashion Televison

Classic Faves:

Beachcombers
Degrassi High
Kids in the Hall (Fav. skit was with the chicken lady at the strip club)
The Friendly Giant
The Littlest Hobo (was that Canadian?)

Here in Quebec we've got until Dec 15th to get those winter tire on. However, I am someone who always puts those winter tires on! :)

Jen V

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.