Pssssst! Canadians!! The cat's away.....

FiddleFit

Cathlete
Heh heh. Happy Thanksgiving to those folks living in the U. S. of A! Have a great turkey day!

That just leaves us Canucks and International fans, doesn't it? We got the place to ourselves!!! Let's play!!

I'll start.

1. What is your favourite Canadian tv series, either current or from years ago?

2. Do you know the French version of O'Canada? And why do we have the O' in front of Canada?! Was it written over a pint of Guinness in an Ottawa pub?

3. Do you think Canada will win 2x as many gold medals as the US in the Vancouver Olympics, or 3x?

Your turn. Got some answers? More questions? Comments, thoughts....let's have some fun today!

Cheers!
O'Sandra-eh

Favourite Canadian Series: Less Than Kind, hands down.

I don't know the French O Canada. I didn't know there was one!

I think we will have the record for being the Olympic host country with the least number of gold medals at its own Olympics in history!

And another one: what's your favourite historical Canadian figure: (mine is Pierre Elliott Trudeau)

Ooooh, and favourite Canadian wine and beer? (Strewn winery and MacAuslan's Apricot Wheat Ale)

1. Favorite Canadian TV show would have to be Beachcombers, My Secret Identity, Hilarious House of Freightenstein, and This Hour has 22 minutes. Oh and I also really like the Jane Show but I think it got canceled.

2. No I don't know the french version of O Canada.

3. Of course Canada will win 2x Gold for Hockey!

My questions would be:

1. Who's watching the Grey Cup this weekend? Go Riders!!
2. Favorite Canadian Actor/Actress? Ryan Reynolds.....yum yum!
3. Do you have winter tires on your car this season? First year for me and I don't know why I didn't have them before. It really is a small price to pay for your safety.

Fave Canadian TV show: Corner Gas for comedy. I also recently started watching Flashpoint and it's a really good show.

French version of O'Canada: I did learn this in elementary school but don't remember it at the moment.

Olympics: Have we ever won more medals than the US? I don't think so but i'm ok with that.

I would agree that Trudeau would be one of the most dominant figures in Canadian Political history.
Even though she's not necessarily a historical figure, Karen Kain is one of my favourite famous canadians.

Don't really drink much wine and beer so i don't have a favourite but i sure do love our candy: My favourite canadian chocolate bar would be Aero. And i love Tim Horton's hot chocolate...I hope they bring back the candy cane version soon!

I'm sure we have all heard some funny stories about other people's perceptions of life in Canada:

-Maple syrup comes out of our taps
-If you are from Canada, you must know "Dave" (who doesn't?)
-We all say "eh" ;)

We do have the best chocolate bars! In a recent road trip to the US I noticed that they didn't have any of my Cadbury favorites! I tried lots of different kinds of Hersey Bars that we don't get up here but even the milk chocolate tastes a little different and what's up with all the different peanut butter varieties?

My favorite Beer is Kokanee with Alexander Keiths as a close second. I have recently been buying the Canadian wines. They are cheaper and taste really good!

Last edited:
Well, I'll be... I concede that I don't watch much tv, but I thought I was at least aware of what's on. But I don't recognize the names of half those shows!! One of my classic favourites is Made In Canada (Rick Mercer). Love, love, love those episodes; hope they come back in reruns. Ken Finkleman also had a show about a news organization (thinly veiled CBC) that was hilarious. I can't remember the name of it now. Anyone remember? Those were great.

I think there have been occasions in history where Canada has indeed won more medals than the US in winter Olympics. I'd have to verify that with my Husband-Who-Knows-All-Things-Olympics to say for sure.

How many loonies are buried in the ice in Vancouver, do you think?

Favourite Canadian beer/wine?
Back in the day I used to drink Molson's Golden. I don't think they even make that anymore! My favourite beer these days isn't Canadian :(. But I don't drink hardly at all, so I'm not cutting into the GDP, at any rate.

Yes, indeed, kids today are learning the French lyrics to O'Canada! I know it starts off with "Ooooo Caaaan-a-da"! :p

Favourite historical figure? Laura Secord! Because her name's on my favourite Canadian food! Chocolate!! :D:D

Favourite Canadian chocolate?
Wunderbar!! And yes, our chocolate is definitely superior to those who share our borders. Years ago I took part in an International Chocolate Exchange and got to sample chocolate from all over the world. Ours is high quality stuff. And apparently our cheese is top notch, too.

Watching the Grey Cup on Sunday?
No. I'll be at a fitness workshop. But I know DH intends to put up the tree with a bottle of Alexander Keith's in his hand, while the kids drink egg nog and give him a hand. The game will be on in the background, I'm pretty sure. We're in Edmonton....we will root for Saskatchewan. Who are you rooting for?

Favourite Canadian Actor/Actress?
Boy, that's tough. I'll pick Jann Arden and Rick Mercer as my favourite all-around entertainers. But outside-of-Canada famous?! Mary Pickford. (That's a joke; I've never seen her movies). I can't decide! There are too many!

Winter tires? YES! This is my 2nd year with them, and I can't believe I ever drove without them. Best money I ever spent on my car. Has it become a law to use them in your province? I hear Quebec has made it so, and other provinces are considering it?

Canadian perceptions: Aren't all the men named Gordon?

Challenge: Name 3 Canadian athletes who are competing in the Vancouver Olympics.

That just leaves us Canucks and International fans, doesn't it? We got the place to ourselves!!!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but not all Americans celebrate Thanksgiving. This cat, at least, is still around.;)

Though I can't answer any of your questions, though, LOL!

There is such a thing as a Chocolate Exchange!! Where the heck do I sign up. I just love trying sweets from around the world. Everywhere I go I try to get something different. One time in Mexico I bought homemade sweets off a guy on the beach! My husband thought I was nuts but it was interesting to try them. I figured there was so much sugar in them it would be okay ;)

Winter Tires: They should make it the law. I think it's just in Quebec that it's the law. I recently got my very own vehicle, a neon without ABS. My husband demanded I get winter tires because he was paranoid I would get into an accident. I bought them online from the US and saved around $200. I couldn't believe the difference, you would have no idea it was snowy and icy out, they handle just like it would be a dry summer day.

I love Rick Mercer too. I also have a secret crush on Paul Gross......

Love love love Jann Arden! Rick Mercer's a funny guy- think he'll run for office eventually. Favourite Canadian chocolate? Smarties!!!!! Oh, and of course we all pronounce "about" like we're talking about footware! Like Karen Kain, but prefer Veronica Tennant.

BUSTED!!! Okay, Kathryn, as the single American who isn't celebrating Thanksgiving today, we will make you a Guest Canadian for a day, okay eh? Just feel free to put eh? at the end of your sentences, and you'll fit right in. Okay, eh? So, how many MORE gold medals will Canada win over the US in Vancouver? 2 times, or 3 times?

jdawnc - LOL! The chocolate exchange emerged from a friendly discussion forum I was on, 11 years ago. From that forum, 17 of us from all voer the globe discovered we had a shared passion for chocolate, and started a new forum called Livin' La Vida Cocoa, for the purposes of creating an International Chocolate Exchange (ICE). We started mailing each other packages. It was a lot of fun. But that was an informal social group that disbanded a few years ago. I miss my Swedish chocolates the most, I think. You're a brave lady for trying candy bought on a beach in Mexico! Was it good?

Did you see Paschendale?

BUSTED!!! Okay, Kathryn, as the single American who isn't celebrating Thanksgiving today, we will make you a Guest Canadian for a day, okay eh? Just feel free to put eh? at the end of your sentences, and you'll fit right in. Okay, eh?
?
Thank you for the favour of naming me an honourary Canadian for the day! Eh? I'm tickled pink (the same colour as the gloves in Cathe's heavy bag workout, eh?). Heh! I am bilingual, so I should fit right in, eh?

Is there really an apostrophe in O'Canada (Oh, Canada? O Canada?). Makes it look Irish, eh? Heh!

The Mexican sweets were okay, they were like shortbread but way sweeter. There was one that was pineapple that was very good. It was a lot that I couldn't finish and no one else was interested in trying them.

Every time I go to Super Store I get Pokey's from Japan and dried Mango from the Philippines. I got my niece hooked on Pokey's. Now every time she comes over she asks for "sticks".

I have not seen Passchendaele yet I was meaning to see it and it kinda went on the back burner. I shall rent it tonight! I caught some re-runs of Due South on the W network. I use to really like that show but now it seems very corny but who cares it's Paul Gross!!

I forgot a two current tv series that would be my favorite Canadian tv series:
1. TRAILER PARK BOYS
2. KENNY VS. SPENNY I loooooooooovvvvve these two

Hah! Another American horning in on a Canadian post. Is that discrimination? :p I am waiting to start cooking my lentil "meat" loaf so I'm taking a break, but am celebrating US Thanksgiving.

I can't answer any of the questions except the favorite Canadian historical figure---Dudley DoRight!

I love Flashpoint also!

Won't make it to Vancouver, but was at the Calgary Olympics!
Go Eddie the Eagle!!!! (anyone else remember him?)

Smarties are my hands down favorite candy. Love them even more than M&Ms!!!

Think I'll have to give a vote for Troudeau as well.

Favorite actor/actress is hard!!! Too many to decide! I'll have to think on it more.

Not watching the Grey Cup, but have been watching a lot of equestrian from Spruce Meadows lately...even if most of it is from summer!

Becky

Another American busting in to vote for Kids in the Hall. Head Crusher is my all time favorite. I also dig the Red Green Show and the Canadian Air Farce and of course.......Hockey Night in Canada. Don Cherry is awesome ;)

OMG, Beavs, I was just going to write that I still walk around crushing people's heads; when I watch tv, mostly. Their heads are much smaller :) Kids in the Hall is classic tv; can't believe I forgot about them! Hockey Night in Canada just isn't the same since they gave up the theme song last year. I think more Canadian's can identify that, than their own national anthem. And what can I say about Don Cherry? :rolleyes: He is what he is.....

Kathryn - Good job sounding so Canadian! LOL! And no, the apostrophe isn't in the title of the anthem. I just put it there for humour. But I still don't know why it's "O Canada." Shouldn't it at least be "Oh" Canada?? I'm truly confused. If they were going to arbitrarily assign a letter, it should have been an A, so our anthem would come first in the index. And as the only person among us so far who can speak French well (I have 4 years of rudimentary high school French), you're probably the only one who can understand these lyrics. That makes you more Canadian than any of us!:

O Canada! Terre de nos aïeux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux.
Car ton bras sait porter l'épée,
Il sait porter la croix.
Ton histoire est une épopée,
Des plus brillants exploits.
Et ta valeur, de foi trempée,
Protégera nos foyers et nos droits.
Protégera nos foyers et nos droits.

Morningstar - did your friend have a big role? Who?? I don't think Rick will run for office....the whole system drives him nuts! LOL! He's a much better critic than a player, IMO. If he runs, then he's forced to pick a side. I love that he can say whatever he wants about any of them. I love the antics he gets up to on The Mercer Report. The week he bungy-jumped off a bridge with Rick Hansen (the first man in a wheel chair to bungy-jump) was hilarious!!

jdawnc - good call on KITH! From SuperStore ethnic section my kids love the Yogo's (Chinese, I think). I'm a huge fan of the the SS's Blue Menu products. They make an awesome oatmeal whole wheat double chocolate chip cookie.....sweetened with agave nectar, even! Even Tosca Reno would approve, I believe (another Canadian!).

cataddict - cat loving knows no borders :D. We have a 6month old kitten who I'm pretty sure is part Turkish Van. I have to kick him out of the shower, and keep all the toilet lids down. I hope that lentil loaf turns out good....that sounds yummy! You like Dudley....jdawnc likes Paul Gross.....You say tomate-o....she says tomah-toe :D.

Becky - No, Eddie the Eagle isn't ringing any bells. Who was he? Are Smarties available to buy in the US? I'd be shocked if only us Canadians can Eat the Red Ones Last! That's a perfect candy....

Thanks for playing, everyone! This is fun!

1. What is your favourite Canadian tv series, either current or from years ago? Being a busy mother of 2 young children, the only canadian series I watch these days are the Backyardigans and Toopy + Binou!!! (2 tv kids shows!!!)

2. Do you know the French version of O'Canada? And why do we have the O' in front of Canada?! Was it written over a pint of Guinness in an Ottawa pub? Yes I know the words in French (I should since I'm form Québec!!!) As for the O, I think it's kind of a hommage thing, a sign of respect. probably old English (and French, same thiong in both versions)

3. Do you think Canada will win 2x as many gold medals as the US in the Vancouver Olympics, or 3x? I agree with morningstar that we will have the record for being the Olympic host country with the least number of gold medals at its own Olympics in history!

Since I live in Québec city (and we had a record 500+ cm in the winter of 2007-2008), winter tires are a must (even if they weren't the law!) I would not go without them!

I remember Eddie the Eagle. Wasn't he in the Calgary Olympics?

Nathalie :)

Last edited:
Oh, my favourite Canadian show, I'm watching X-Weighted right now. Love Rick Mercer and the kids are big fans of Corner Gas.

The kids know the words to the French O Canada, does that count??

Go Riders GO!! I'm from Regina originally how could I possibly not watch the Riders in the Grey Cup.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.