PS/ Cardio Rotation

Jenne

Cathlete
I'm on a very simple PS/ Cardio Rotation that I thought I would share. I'll post any results at the end of the six-week rotation.

Monday- 15 minutes on Treadmill (TM)+ PS-BBA
Tuesday- 15-30 minutes cardio (TM or a step segment) PS-CST
Wednesday- Kickbox (Vary the tapes)
Thursday- Step or Interval, depending on strength, abs (focus on core)
Friday- PS-SLA
Saturday- Short walk or swim
Sunday- Long walk and swim (ideally)

It's a seven-day rotation, but the Saturday and Sunday "workouts" are medium to low intensity. I also try to include at least 40 minutes of lifestyle walking each weekday.

I find that varying my kickbox and step tapes helps keep me from getting bored with the rotation. On Wednesday, I can do any cardio tape, as long as it's kickbox, and on Thursday, I can do any cardio tape as long as it's NOT kickbox.

The goal of this rotation is mostly general strength with some fat-burning.

Kickbox Tapes

I'm alternating Cardio Kicks, CTX Kickbox, and Aaron Lankford's Power Kicks. I wish I had more kickboxing tapes, but I have to wait until Cathe makes some more! :7

Bad Knees Rotation

I seem to have hurt my knees badly on this rotation... so here is my new Upper Body/ Pilates Rotation.

Monday- Method- Precision Toning
Tuesday- Yoga for Flexibility- Backbends
Wednesday- PS BBA & CST
Thursday- Method- Pilates
Friday- Total Yoga
Saturday- Yoga for Flexibility- Forward Bends
Sunday- CTX Upper Body

(Swimming and Walking whenever possible)

I will do this rotation until my knees are totally better.

I did the PS-Cardio rotation for almost four weeks and had noticed a reduction of fat in my upper back.

Here is my new PS/CTX/Cardio rotation

Sunday- CTX Upper Body & 1 abs segment
Monday- "Running" & Method Segment (hips)
Tuesday- "Running" & Method Segment (thighs)
Wednesday- PS Upper Body & 1 abs segment
Thursday- "Running" & Yoga for Flexibility
Friday- "Running" & Method Segment (abs)
Saturday- Lower body circuit tape (e.g. Body Max lower body segment)-- This workout is OPTIONAL, depending on leg strength and general energy level.

Running is in quotation marks because I have to work up to it slowly. The first week is a 5 minute warm up, 15 minutes of alternating running & walking, and a 5 minute cooldown. Once I can run the full 15 minutes, I'll slowly add time, working up to a weekly average of 20 miles.

Running is not kind to one's knees - I'm just wondering why you're electing to do it since your knees are bothering you.

Just a kind suggestion - power (or race walking)walking can give you the same benefits of running, but be kinder to your knees. I walked for years and years with no injuries, on all kinds of surfaces. You can do intervals and all kinds of stuff with walking.

Good question... one I have thought of. Running has been one of the few exercises that has actually taken fat off of me. I have had phases where I speed-walked, where I'd gotten pretty fast (actually faster than I run now), and had seen no physical changes until I started running. Running also gives the endorphin high, which I've never gotten from walking, no matter how fast.

I think I narrowed the knee problem down to torque (kickboxing on a carpet... I guess I wasn't careful enough.) However, if I have continual knee problems, I will definitely rethink the running. I do enjoy walking. I walk about 40 minutes a day five or six days a week at a fairly brisk pace, on top of my formal workouts.

Thanks for caring! I'll definitely keep your advice in mind.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.