Prozac ?????

messyjess

Cathlete
I recently went to my GYN appt and explained to her that over the last few months I've been feeling really irritable, cranky, sometimes sad, and just lashing out on my family. Somedays it fine and then sometimes it's not. But I noticed that it was happening right around my menstruation. I could not figure out what was wrong with me I thought I was going crazy. I NEVER suffered from mood swings in my life. I noticed since entering my 30's (Im 35) changes began to happen. My hormones!!! I also noticed during my pms phase I sweat when I sleep. It's gross. I usually take a shower in the morning that's how sweaty I am. So my doctor prescribed me prozac in the lowest dosage 10mg and said I should take it the week before and the week of my period and that's it. Does anybody else do this ?

I spent several years on fertility drugs that have permanently screwed up my hormones -- to the point that if I don't take my 10 mg of Paxil every day it is as if I have PMSx10 ALL THE TIME. My OBGYN put me on the Paxil, very low dose, and now people and animals do not run when I pass by. It bothered me at first that I couldn't just figure out a way to not be PMSy by changing my diet or exercise, but now I am so over that because my husband and daughter (not to mention the dog) all like me so much more:)

Tobermory

Prozac is fluoxetine HCL, brand name Sarafem when marketed to women to help reduce bad PMS or PMDD. The usage prescribed for you is standard treatment for this condition. Having said that, it is an anti-depressant and an SSRI and for that reason I don't know how anyone can take it for just 2 weeks out of every four because as an SSRI it will have side effects which affects patients taking the drug for depression treatment for up to 6 weeks after beginning treatment. So, while you are describing a normally prescribed scenario, I do not understand the practicalities of it.

I use the low dose Nuvaring contraceptive which delivers a steady flow of estradiol throughout the month in order to deal with PMDD, rather than go the SSRI route. Because the hormone level remains the same throughout the month, there are none of the mood swings and rage-at-the-world bitchiness that sudden drops of progesterone cause during normal monthly hormone swings. The Nuvaring has no nasty side effects, is easy to use and also gives birth control benefits, in addition to clearing up monthly acne flare=ups. Before taking the Fluoxetine, I would ask your doctor about Nuvaring. It might be a better solution.

Blimey! Does that read like ad copy or what?!?!?!
Clare

According to my understanding, it could take a couple of weeks for an antidepressant to even start working, so I don't understand why your doctor has told you to only take it 2 weeks out of every month. Maybe with such a low dose it doesn't matter. But my advice would be to check around with another doctor to make sure it would work. Maybe there's something I'm not understanding about it, but it just sounds strange to me. Just my opinion.:D Hope you feel better soon!:)

I have PMDD too

I was also diagnosed with PMDD many years ago for my monthly anxiety/depression and my OB/GYN gave me a sample of Sarafem 10mg to try (which is Prozac taken a week before period for 2 weeks). It actually did something and I was very happy (cleaned the whole house) the first month. Second month, I got agitated and anxiety, so I gave up on that idea.

If you are sweating at night, doesn't that fall more into the perimenopause/hot flash category rather than PMDD? I second the idea of trying something else first to control mood problems before going to Prozac. I've heard the birth control pill, Yaz, is supposed to be good for PMDD.

Anyway, my current cure for the blues and my monthly insanity attacks is: You guessed it: Cathe! I just do a cardio workout till the endorphins flow and I'm happy as a clam.

-- Mindy

I don't take Prozac for pms but I take Lexapro. I don't quite understand taking it for only 2 weeks either but it works for me so I do it.

I've heard of both hormonal birth control or SSRIs being used to deal with this. To me it makes more sense to use hormones to deal with hormone imbalance, but for some SSRIs work better or there may be a medical reason that prevents use of hormonal birth control. As already mentioned, Yaz is FDA approved to deal with PMDD, but it's also great in balancing hormones. Some complain that it decreases libido though. Others need a slightly stronger pill as Yaz is one of the lowest dose birth control pills out there. Nuvaring is a nice choice too, but some don't get enough estrogen in the systemic blood flow from the nuvaring when compared to pills. The nice thing about Yaz & Nuvaring is that neither have a lot of typical birth control side effects.

Other options are that have decent results are evening primrose oil capsules--1-2 caps 2 times/day--this helps balance hormones. Or increasing your dietary intake of plant estrogens--ground flaxseed is an excellent source; I mix it in yogurt or in a smoothie. Of course, soy is an option as well. There also is a good book that discusses natural ways to deal with perimenopause/PMS--"Before the Change" by Anne Louise Gittleman.
I agree that exercise helps too! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.