Professional spray tan?

LauraMax

Cathlete
Has anyone had this done? I'm not sure what my local tanning salons offer--if it's the booth where you go in by yourself I think I know the routine.

But if it's done by an actual person, how do you do it? Do you bring an old bathing suit, or do you do it nekkid? Seems the latter would be a little ummmm awkward. :eek:

The local massage therapist also does spray tans and she sprays it herself. I wear old undies that match my bikini and that works just fine. Not sure I could do that nekked! (she's my DH's cousin!) I will usually get two coats the first time and try to move the straps around to fill in the gaps. Healthier way to get some color IMO!
julie

I've done the Mystic Tan (get in the booth, hold your breath-ewww, turn around 4 times and get sprayed) and it was just ok for me. You can still get uneven areas and some places faded splotchy, etc. You have to be really careful to lotion up your hands and feet or they will get really dark.

I'd wear a bikini if I got sprayed by someone, wouldn't be brave enough to get nekkid. ;)

It's not the nudity that bothers me, it's the fake color and stink. If there was a really nice color, I'd totally get naked for that.

OK, I did the Mystic Tan booth yesterday. I will not be doing that often, it was rather expensive.

Anyway, it came out pretty nice. A little spotty on my feet, but the color is pretty natural looking (GMonkey, they have two options, on is called "clear" & gives a much more natural color. It did smell though).

The whole experience was rather comical. They have little numbered footprints inside & a voice that tells you "turn right & place your feet on number 1 & 4." I felt like I was playing a game of Twister. Needless to say I lost track of which number was what & was thoroughly confused by the end, but I think I got pretty even color. :p

The whole experience was rather comical. They have little numbered footprints inside & a voice that tells you "turn right & place your feet on number 1 & 4." I felt like I was playing a game of Twister. Needless to say I lost track of which number was what & was thoroughly confused by the end, but I think I got pretty even color. :p

LOL - that reminds me of the Friends episode where Ross got REALLY dark on the front side doing a spray tan because he wasn't sure which way to turn!

OMG! I seen that episode and LMAO!!!! That's always what I think of when someone mentions "spray tan". :p

LOL! Stop it! I told the girl who showed me how to use it that I didn't want to end up like Ross from Friends! :eek:

Of course, she was about 18 & looked like she had no idea who I was talking about. :rolleyes:

LOL! Stop it! I told the girl who showed me how to use it that I didn't want to end up like Ross from Friends! :eek:

Of course, she was about 18 & looked like she had no idea who I was talking about. :rolleyes:

LMAO!!!! It's scary how TV shows makes such an impression on us sometimes!

I didn't see the Friends episode. D*mn. Anyway, I've been researching this and have read a lot of critiques of various processes. Most people seem to feel that airbrush tanning, which involves a one-on-one process with an operator and a machine is better than Mystic Tan. If you Google Mystic Tan you can read the customer remarks.

I've never done either but my best friend at work told me everyone's impressed with the change in my body... but they're tired of having to wear sunglasses whenever I wear shorts! Just the other day I asked another co-worker what was up because she was staring at me like a bug under a microscope (she's Filippino and really dark from working outside). She said "Wow... you're really white..."

So, to save my co-workers eyesight... I plan to try the airbrush tan while on vacation next week. I understand it wears off pretty quick and is usually completely gone within 7 days. A woman who does airbrush tanning near me (central Ohio) charges $25 for one session and $75 for a 4-pack of sessions. I don't want to be "tan." I just want to soften up my look a bit with a little golden. I didn't want to do it but once my co-workers put the idea in my head I couldn't stop thinking about all the great colors I would finally be able to wear. So I hope it looks good... Pastels and Vivacious colors do not look good against bright white skin, at least not against MY skin, and I have to be really careful about the red hair. Like, right after I color it, I have to wear more subdued shades when I do wear colors but mostly it's black, navy, brown, gray.... boring and predictable. A little color would open up LOTS of options. What I really want, though, is to look lovely in a sexy white dress... I've never been able to wear white.

Once I do it (sometime after the 27th) I'll let you know how it works out.

Last edited:
After spending too much time in the tanning beds, I've opt to go the spray tan route to save my skin from more damage. The plus side of Mystic Tan is that you don't have to expose yourself to someone spraying you by hand.

Our business is in Commercial Painting. We have a professsional paint spray booth at our shop. My husband has all of the spray equipment needed for applying spray tan.
We purchased a gallon of the tanning solution and every Thursday night he sprays me. The first time I told him I was going to keep my panties on, but he said to DROP THEM.

I Love It. It may not be the perfect natural tan from the sun/beds, but it gives a nice
color. Our solution has a bronzer in it, so you can see if you have good coverage. The
bronzer washes off the next morning when showering. It doesn't have an unpleasant odor.

It is really important to exfoliate before spray tanning. I use a microdermabrasion for my face and a loofa type glove, that I got at dollar store and it works great, for my body. I think spraying at night and then showering the next morning gives better results. It does start to fade and get a little blotchy after 7 days; so then you need to exfoliate and spray again.

It does get expensive going to the salons for spray tan. You can purchase the equipment to start spraying yourself online. It is hard to spray your own back, though.
If I were you I would go together with a friend who would like to tan and spray each other. There are two different types of spraying. Airbrush-which takes a lot longer to spray because not a much product is being disbursed, for instance airbrush nail art.
HVLP-it takes him about 5-10 minutes to spray me entirely. But with airbrush, you can
give yourself some ab definition and cleavage. Maybe I need to switch to airbrush,LOL.

Dianne

How bad does it rub off on your clothes afterwards? I tried Famous Dave's sunless lotion last summer and in addition to the allergic reaction I got from it, it did rub off on my workout clothes. No problems with normal clothes, but when working out and sweating it came right off - farewell to my favorite Nike top. Is the salon brand any better?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.