Pregnant and wanna workout!

gidget1978

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I am 13 weeks pregnant and want to resume my normal active lifestyle. Before baby, I would workout up to 2 hours a day. I know...a bit extreme but I love weights and cardio equally as much;) I kept up my activity until I reached about 7 weeks and that's when everything fell apart. I was so sick and tired, the thoughts of working out didn't even exsist. I think I managed 4 workouts in the last few weeks.

I've hit the 12 week mark and have started feeling much better and my energy is returning and I wanna start my workouts again. The last time I was pregnant I gained 50 lbs. Even though it only took me 4 months to get this weight off again, I really don't want to go down that same path. I am hoping working out while I can, will control some of the weight gain.

I was wondering what you would suggest...or what did you do? I have done 3 workouts in a row now:

Thurs: should,chest,back and 30 mins jog/walk
Fri: A circuit of jog/walk/bike and legs ( 1 hour)
Sat: bics, tris and 30 min jog/walk

A was a big runner before and this is what I enjoy doing the most.

Thanks for your time. I know that listening to my body and body temp is most important right now but I also want to make the most of an hour a day.

Lori Ann:)

Lori Ann, I'm so glad that you posted this & I pray that Cathe or some of the ladies who have been pregnant & continued their workout routines will chime in.

I am 9 weeks pregnant & like you up, until my 6th week I was working out like normal with Cathe. Then the sickness & tiredness kicked in & I have not worked out in what feels like an eternity. I want to get back into my Cathe workouts but I don't know what dvd's are safe & what ones I should stay away from.

PLEASE, if you can make some suggestions for us, we would be so appreciative! :)

The last time I was pregnant was in 2006, but anyway, I worked out with all of my pregnancies and gained about 25 pounds with each of them. However, each pregnancy I had to modify more and more (although still worked out until the day I delivered). I think it's all about listening to your body. I think the good thing is that if you were active before you were pregnant than you can continue to exercise, you just have to change things up as you progress to your delivery date. You may need to gradually lower the size of the weights you are using as well as the intensity of your cardio...but I don't think you ever need to stop (unless instructed by a doctor). I am a runner and that was the one thing I tried to continue to do, however, with each pregnancy (all four) I had to stop sooner and the run became a walk. For example, with my first I ran until 36 weeks, walked the last four (but about 6 miles a day), with my second I had to stop running at 30 weeks, my third 22 weeks, fourth at 16....now, this was only because I was experiencing really bad pelvic pressure. I could still walk though, so that was my form of cardio. I continued with weights, but like I said I gradually lowered the size and just did more reps. And your cardio can be other things, just make it low impact.

It's totally doable, but when things don't feel right, you modify...staying active is the best thing you could do for yourself, your baby, and for your delivery/recovery.

Good luck, I never thought that pregnancy was an excuse to stop exercising. I remember after my fourth I was back into most of my normal clothes within a month. Also, I was sick with all of them and the only time that I could really handle the workouts was in the morning. So find a time that works best. I was less sick in the am. If you want specific Cathe workouts and can give you suggestions...but you will want low impact stuff, lower your step, and you could probably do a lot of her resistance stuff you would just need to lower the weights used.

I have a 7 month old and was very sick the first few months so I know how you feel! These are the DVDs/exercises I did after I started to feel better. I did a lot of these with a lower step height once I get into my third trimester and modified the abs workouts. I tried to workout 6 days a week. Good luck and congrats!

Cathe:
Low Impact Circuit
Butts and Gutts
Body Max 2 (no power circuits)
4DS Lower Impact Circuit
4DS Kickbox
Kickmax (Low Impact premixes)
Muscle Max
High Reps
Pyramid Upper Body
Pyramid Lower Body
Muscle Endurance
Supersets
Legs & Glutes
Rhythmic Step
Cardio & Weights

Other:
Perfect Pregnancy workout
P90X
walking on the treadmill

I am 27 week pregnant with my first baby and I totally know how you feel!! I was so sick up until 12 weeks and when I woke up that morning I starting jumping up and down because I finally felt good!! I have continued to work out 4 days a week about 2 hours a day. I still do all my weight Cathe DVDs but just don't lift as heavy of weights. I was getting a little frustrated though because I wasn't feeling sore afterwards like I usually did and things are happening to my butt and legs that I seem to have no control over, haha(i like the sore feeling, lets me know I REALLY worked that muscle). So to really work my legs I do walking lunges....usually around 200-400 depending on how I am feeling that day. I also continue to do all the DVDs mentioned below in addition to Kick, Punch, Crunch; Step Heat, Step Max, Step Jam, Low Max, Step Moves, Athletic Step, Step Blast......and just modify when needed. Of course I do not do as much plyometrics and jumping and use the lower step. I also am in love with Perfect Pregnancy Workout, Perfect Pregnancy Belly Dance and Prenatal Yoga with Shiva Rea. I now do my ab work on my ball, on my side, or plank (face down or side plank). I definitely listen to my body before I work out and if I'm tired or just not feeling it that day I don't feel guilty for taking a day off. I am careful to listen to my body while I am working out and I make sure I drink 1L of water during each workout. I have also started to incorporated swimming laps in my neighborhood community pool which feels amazing! It's crazy how light you feel in the water, haha! If you worked out before you should definitely continue working out and just listen to your body, stop if anything hurts or if you start to feel pressure or have spotting, and modify when needed.

I have a 7 month old and was very sick the first few months so I know how you feel! These are the DVDs/exercises I did after I started to feel better. I did a lot of these with a lower step height once I get into my third trimester and modified the abs workouts. I tried to workout 6 days a week. Good luck and congrats!

Cathe:
Low Impact Circuit
Butts and Gutts
Body Max 2 (no power circuits)
4DS Lower Impact Circuit
4DS Kickbox
Kickmax (Low Impact premixes)
Muscle Max
High Reps
Pyramid Upper Body
Pyramid Lower Body
Muscle Endurance
Supersets
Legs & Glutes
Rhythmic Step
Cardio & Weights

Other:
Perfect Pregnancy workout
P90X
walking on the treadmill

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.