Pregnant and frustrated - hips getting bigger at 14 wks

JulieL

Cathlete
Cathe, first off I realize you are busy as can be and probably don't have time to answer this but in light of that I'll ask anyway.

I have been keeping up my workouts pretty good since week 8 but of course already have had to go down in weight and moderate some moves. I've only gained 3 or 4 lbs and I just measured my hips and to my dismay they have grown 1/2 inch. I have to kind of body type where my lower body has to be worked very hard to maintain toned. As this is my second pregnancy I am very stressed by this increase when I worked so hard to get my body toned back down. I know you suggested Fit To Deliver, but they are releasing a new addition in June and I am waiting for it to be released in the States. So I have no applicable help in this. Are the endurance based workouts able to keep the body toned close to prepregnancy size, or is it just all you can do pregnant and you gain overall anyway, just hopefully less than you would if you didn't exercise. Maybe Shelia can answer this for you. I am just so depressed this morning, it's so hard to get big when it was so hard to get small. Sigh, thanks for your time.

RE: Pregnant and frustrated - hips getting bigger at 14...

Hi Julie,
I'm not Cathe but just wanted to share a quote from WebMD about body changes due to pregnancy:

"By week eleven, your baby has now graduated from an embryo to a fetus...
The hormone relaxin causes the ligaments in your pelvis to widen and become flexible so that birth will be easier. You may notice your hips widen, and they may also feel a little floppy from the relaxin. Because relaxin increases flexibility, it is easy to injure yourself during exercise so be careful not to overstretch your joints."

It's the part about relaxin causing your hips to widen that I thought might interest you. It doesn't mean that you're not doing a great job with your workouts. Take care!

Cecelia

Thanks Cecelia, I knew that but did not know it can happen so early, that does make me feel better. :)

I was thinking the same thing. The pelvis changes during pregnancy as does the entire body due to hormones.

I also wanted to point out that with a second pregnancy, you'll notice these types of changes in your body much sooner than you did with your first.

Don't despair -- these are changes that your body needs to make to get ready to bring that new baby into the world. Just feel good that you are doing something so great for him or her by staying active and healthy.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.