Prayers for Alabama Tornado Victims

Stephanie0523

Cathlete
I cannot believe the devastation caused by yesterday's tornados in Alabama. I used to live in Birmingham; I have many family members in Alabama (who thankfully are OK) and I went to college in Auburn, which is University of Alabama's big rival. Rivalries seem trivial today. The death toll from the tornados in Alabama has risen to more than 200... some of those were college students who had their whole lives ahead of them... So horribly sad.

Just to give you some idea of how horrible it was, here's some footage from MSNBC: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/42802910#42802910

If any of you Cathletes are from Alabama or have family there, please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

For those who would like to donate toward the effort to help these people rebuild their lives, the Red Cross is taking donations, as is the United Way of Central Alabama (http://www.uwca.org/).

Last edited:
Incredible. I still can't believe the depth of destruction. I lived in tornado alley for many years, and each time we moved it was further north until we landed in Minnesota. I still go ballistic when I hear sirens up here. My heart goes out to everyone affected by this tragedy.

It's so sad. So devastating. So scarey. I can't even imagine... :(:(:(

God Bless everyone in the region of the country who was affected by these horrible storms.

Tornado damage

Unbelievable. I cannot even begin to imagine the pain and loss and feelings of shock. YES, let's continue to pray for everyone affected by these devastating storms.

The damage and loss of lives is horrible, I can't even begin to imagine what life is like right now for so many.

I was looking for a direct donation on Red Cross, but it's not on their website as a choice specifically for this current disaster, I just saw, tonight on nbc there will be more specials and coverage and info on ways to donate directly. I did the $10 REDCROSS to 90999 text anyway to start.

I guess more info will come out soon. Generally my work sends out something where they will match donations up to a certain number when huge disasters hit like Haiti and Japan. I'm hoping they do it for this too.

Absolutely!! I have been praying for these folks! I've been through other natural disasters but this is absolutely devestating!! BIG BIG prayers and support to these wonderful people!

Pam

Awful! The video footage alone is terrifying to me—I can’t imagine actually experiencing something like this. My heart goes out to all those affected in our southern states.

For those interested, the USA Today published a list of additional ways we can help:

<<American Red Cross: The Red Cross is providing relief to people across the hardest-hit states, providing shelter and relief to survivors. To support these efforts, donations can be made to the American Red Cross Disaster Relief. Visit Red Cross's website, www.redcross.org, or call 1-800-RED-CROSS to make a donation. Checks can be sent to the American Red Cross, P.O. Box 37243, Washington, D.C. 20013. [Note: As Dela mentioned above, you can also text "REDCROSS" to 90999 to make a $10 donation.]

Convoy of Hope: Convoy of Hope has deployed their Mobile Command Center to Birmingham, Alabama in response to last night's outbreak of tornadoes. Two tractor-trailers left Springfield Thursday, April 28, 2011 with food, water and supplies. Two more will leave Friday, April 29, 2011. Destination at this time is Birmingham, Alabama where we have partners in place to assist with distribution. Plans are being formulated to send staff and supplies to Tuscaloosa, Alabama in the coming days. To learn more about their work and how you can support it, visit their website.

Salvation Army: The Salvation Army has provided food, hydration and other services to more than 6,000 survivors and first responders in the southeastern United States since the April tornadoes. The Army will continue to do so in the hardest hit cities, including Tuscaloosa and Birmingham, AL; Cleveland and Chattanooga, TN; Kemper County, Webster County, and Oxford, MS and others. To support the challenges facing survivors, The Salvation Army's Florida Division deployed 10 mobile canteens and a team of 30 volunteers and staff to assist in the relief efforts in Tuscaloosa and Birmingham. You can donate to the Salvation Army by going to their website, disaster.salvationarmyusa.org, or by calling 1-800-SAL-ARMY. Text "GIVE" to 80888 to make a $10 donation to assist the organization's disaster response efforts. Or send a check to: The Salvation Army Disaster Relief, P.O. Box 100339, Atlanta, GA 30384-0339.

World Vision: World Vision's domestic relief team is preparing to deploy this Saturday morning from the Dallas area to Alabama and nearby states hardest-hit by last night's storms. They plan to work with local churches and other organizations to identify families with limited means, families left destitute, or people who may have difficulty accessing other assistance. To support these efforts, visit www.worldvision.org to donate to call 888.56.CHILD (24453).

ALABAMA
Governor's Emergency Relief Fund:
The Fund, part of the Alabama Governor's Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives, provides additional recovery assistance to Alabama residents who have exhausted all other coverage provided by relief organizations, government programs and insurance. To donate, visit their online donation page.>>

Thanks for posting the info RunninTeach. I see salvation army is doing the text to donate too, I really think that was such a good idea whoever came up with it.

Thanks for your prayers...keep them coming.

Hi All,

We live in North Alabama and the destruction from the tornadoes in our area is terrible. We are so very blessed that we were not in the direct path of any of them so our house and property made it through. We lost power for four days. We had to take our food out of the fridge & freezer and put it in coolers, cook on the grill and live by candlelight. We didn't have hot water but none of this matters when I see the people whose homes were leveled and who lost loved ones. We just got power back last night so I'm beginning to be able to get news but haven't been able to get in touch w/ all of my friends yet to find out if they are okay.

Stephanie, I also went to college at Auburn and the War Eagle families hearts are breaking for what happened in Tuscaloosa. Yes, it's a fun rivalry between AU & AL but when tragedy strikes we are all one big family.

Thank you to all of the Cathletes for your prayers and support for your Southern neighbors. It will be a long, difficult recovery but those who have lost so much will come back and rebuild their lives. For any other people here on the forums from these areas, please let us know how you are doing.

Tracy

It's just heart breaking to see all this! My prayers for all the families affected. We should appreciate each and every "normal" day we have.

War Eagle, Tracy! Glad you were not affected too badly, but I know you are surrounded by devastation... Just so you all know, someone has started a page on Facebook called "Toomers for Tuscaloosa." If you friend them, you can find out if/where there is a drop off site in your area. I have been amazed at how Auburn and Alabama fans from the entire country have joined together to truck much-needed supplies to the tornado victims in the South. Just this weekend someone in my area of Tennessee sent a donation truck down. It was much more gratifying, to me, to be able to go and buy some supplies that I know the people need right away... (baby supplies and water, namely).

War Eagle, Tracy! Glad you were not affected too badly, but I know you are surrounded by devastation... Just so you all know, someone has started a page on Facebook called "Toomers for Tuscaloosa." If you friend them, you can find out if/where there is a drop off site in your area. I have been amazed at how Auburn and Alabama fans from the entire country have joined together to truck much-needed supplies to the tornado victims in the South. Just this weekend someone in my area of Tennessee sent a donation truck down. It was much more gratifying, to me, to be able to go and buy some supplies that I know the people need right away... (baby supplies and water, namely).

WAR EAGLE! I'm not on Facebook but my sister in law told me about Toomer's for Tuscaloosa. My hubby has an account he never uses so I will try to get on his FB page and check it out. I woke up in my bed this morning, finally w/ power on and felt so sad for the people who didn't have their beds to wake up in so I'd really like to do something to help. Our church is sending teams out daily to help but w/ 3 young boys I can't do that so I'd at least like to send some donations now that we are getting back to some normalcy.

I also have three young boys! Wow, we have a lot in common! I am so glad you guys got power back. There are so many ways to help, so don't beat yourself up for not being able to physically go out and lend a hand. Just getting the word out and donating items means so much. And, above all else we'll continue to pray! It was a horrible disaster, but it sure has brought people together and reminded me of why I love living in the Southland so much. Everyone has shown their tremendous hearts and capacity to give.

Oh wow...we do have a lot in common Stephanie! How old are your boys? Mine are (just turned) 12, 8 and 4. So the oldest isn't necessarily a "young boy" anymore but he's still in elem school so to me he still is ;-)

Yes, I'm starting to find ways to help those in need. A couple in our Sunday School class are in a harder hit area and we are making a meal for them this week. I also found a drop off location for donations.

I know what you mean about living in the South and how people help each other so much. Our neighbors were going door to door offering ice when they found it, which wasn't so easy to find in the first few days.

Thanks for your continued prayers. So many people still need them.

Tracy

Last edited:
Hey -

I am from SouthEast AL - the storms missed us - Thank God - we just had warnings all night - The Damage and loss of life is unbelievable!! I dont see how anyone survived it - but my thoughts and prayers have been w/anyone who suffered losses and also w/the relief workers, utility workers and everyone involved in the restoration.

WAR EAGLE!!! and yes our hearts are going out to our rivals ...

There are several events going on locally to raise money for the red cross - there are drop off points for food and water etc items -

I have a friend the big one hit a mile from her house and she said they just couldnt believe it - and the loss of life is far greater than what the news is reporting! she sent some pics and OMG .. it will truely break your heart!!

Keep those prayers going!

Hey -

I am from SouthEast AL - the storms missed us - Thank God - we just had warnings all night - The Damage and loss of life is unbelievable!! I dont see how anyone survived it - but my thoughts and prayers have been w/anyone who suffered losses and also w/the relief workers, utility workers and everyone involved in the restoration.

WAR EAGLE!!! and yes our hearts are going out to our rivals ...

There are several events going on locally to raise money for the red cross - there are drop off points for food and water etc items -

I have a friend the big one hit a mile from her house and she said they just couldnt believe it - and the loss of life is far greater than what the news is reporting! she sent some pics and OMG .. it will truely break your heart!!

Keep those prayers going!

War Eagle! Glad the storms missed y'all. I got an email today (that had been forwarded a few times) written by a UA student whose apartment was hit. He was tossed out of the apartment, his clothes blown off (all but his boxers and a silver cross necklace) and then tossed back into the rubble of the apartment. He's going to be okay but was pretty beaten up. It's going to be a long road of recovery ahead but our AL brothers and sisters will get there.

DixieGirl said:
War Eagle! Glad the storms missed y'all. I got an email today (that had been forwarded a few times) written by a UA student whose apartment was hit. He was tossed out of the apartment, his clothes blown off (all but his boxers and a silver cross necklace) and then tossed back into the rubble of the apartment. He's going to be okay but was pretty beaten up. It's going to be a long road of recovery ahead but our AL brothers and sisters will get there.

Thank Heaven for his silver cross necklace! Prayers still for everyone involved!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.