Prader-Willi Syndrome (long)

buffettgirl

Cathlete
When I first posted, I mentioned my son has Prader-Willi Syndrome. Since the is PWS Awareness Week, I thought I educate those interested.

PWS is a non-inherited genetic disorder thought to affect the hypothalamus and pituitary glands. This disorder creates wrong messages in the brain, causing the person to always feel hungry. This results in a constant, intense drive to eat, leading to sneaking or stealing food, or money to buy food. On top of the constant hunger, these individuals gain weight on much less calories than the average person. There are also many other problems facing these people including weight related health issues and behavioral problems.

We lock all of our food. There are locks on the frig, the freezer, kitchen cupboards and the basement door. My son is a pro,however, at waiting for someone to forget to lock, or leave the frig unattended for a second. Not a week goes by that he doesn't manage to get into the frig or basement. He has also gone into neighbor's homes, cars and garbage, looking for food. He knows all the stores in the area that deliver and has written bad checks to some.

He also has behavioral problems. He constantly argues, is obessive compulsive, and has temper tantrums. Medication has helped moderate some of these problems.

The biggest problem facing us, however, isn't the stress of dealing with this syndrome all day, every day. Our biggest problem is the county Mental Health/Mental Retardation Agency who refuses to recognize my son's diagnosis of retardation and provide the appropriate services. His evaluation by a neuropsycologist indicates that parts of his brain (learning) function at a high level while other parts function at a low level. When the numbers are averaged, his IQ appears normal, but in fact, he is clinically retarded according to the state's definition which looks at more than just test numbers.The doctor likened my son's brain to a football team with many star players, but no coach to call the plays. We have been in a legal fight for almost 3 years. We won our initial appeal to the Dept of Welfare, and the county was ordered to provide services, but they put us on a waiting list for money for residential placement. We have been on the waiting list for 10 months. Letters to legislators hasn't helped, and we are now waiting for the courts to rule on the county's appeal. Meanwhile, my son spends his days unsupervised (DH and I both work) sleeping or watching soaps.

So now you know a little about PWS. I could go on and on. Some day I'd love to write a book. I could tell about the time we got home from the grocery store and DS has a sub sandwich in his pants. Or the time we had to call the police because DS was threatening to kill us. It's been a lovely cruise....

Oh, Robin. Thank you for sharing that with us. My heart goes out to you. I've never heard of this disorder before, but you must face tremendous challenges daily. I hope that it all works out the way you want it to, and that your son gets some good support and that YOU get good support too.

My thoughts are with you.

OMG, Robin... I don't know what to say. I do hope you win your legal battles. When you are dealing with something so big and difficult as this, you have to utilize all the resources available, and it's sad when bureaucracy becomes not just an obstacle but a foe.

Thanks for the information. If you ever write a book, post it please. I would love to get a copy. I know how hard it is to raise a special needs child. My son is in OT right now, but for another condition. He's progressing, but I still have (and always will have) this fear that as he gets older and his peers start noticing how different he CAN BE (as opposed to, how different he IS) from them, that he will be labelled and shunned.

Take care of yourself. We mothers have to be our children's best advocate. No matter what. Hang tight. I'm gunning for you.

Hugs,
Pinky

I just recently watched a Dateline Special or 20/20 (can't remember) about this PWS. It amazed me because I had never heard of it before. The girl on there would get extremely angry when she couldn't have more food. She'd throw a fit when she saw the ice cream truck drive by. She'd become furious! I'm so sorry and you are very strong! How old is your son?

I hope and pray they come around and provide you with the services your family needs!

Dani

Dani-my son is 20. He will be 21 in June.
Thanks for replies, prayers, etc. It is a very frustrating syndrome and life style, and I wish I could say I don't feel sorry for myself, but unfortunatly, I do. Sometimes it is so easy to forget the constant struggle my son is dealing with. I know how hard it is overeat. Imagine if you always felt you were starving.

20/20 did a segment on the syndrome a couple weeks ago. Discovery Chanel also ran a special on it, but I didn't know and haven't been able to get a tape. I saw a small part that a friend taped. My son was excited because he knew one of the girls the show followed.

If it weren't for my faith, and the stress relief Cathe workouts provide, I would be a mess. Thanks for your support, fellow Cathe fans!

Hi Robin,

I watched the Discovery Channel special (at least I think it was on Discovery.It was an hour long special featuring kids from Great Britain).

As I watched it I was struck at how difficult it must be to have a child with PWS. The kids lied and stole in order to get food. It must be so frustrating to deal with as a parent, but then my heart breaks for these kids because they are constantly starving. As you are well aware, they don't steal because they are bad, they are just trying to feed their incessant hunger.

I'm sure it must be very difficult to deal with your county/state trying to get help. It's such a little-known syndrome and these agencies can be so narrow-minded. Everything has to follow a certain policy, with little flexibility for cases that don't fit the usual mold.

I wish you the best of luck with your son. I know you must feel like it's an uphill battle. He's obviously very lucky to have you as a mom.

Dear Robin,
My oldest son, Ben, who just turned 19, is autistic. I can totally relate to many of your frustrations. Please know you and your son are in my prayers. It can be incredibly lonely and isolating living w/ a child w/ behavior issues and trying to live some sort of 'normal' life. I wish you and your son the very best.
Valerie

Robin,

Thanks for educating us about PWS. Thanks also for sharing your personal story. I know that I personally take many things for granted, and reading about your struggles in just dealing with ordinary day to day life has humbled me.

You and your family are truly heroes in the hand you have been dealt. I will keep you and your famiy in my prayers and I will become a better person because of what you have shared here.

{{HUGS}}

Tammy

Hi Robin,
I have heard of PWS and in fact, used to work as a case manager in a sheltered workshop for DD adults. Eight of the consumers working there were diagnosed with PWS. I have seen all the behaviors (or at least similar to) that you started to describe and I can definately imagine the behaviors you left out (I am sure you could write a very long book). I have seen them and dealt with them.
I do not know much at all about the steps you have to take in order to get the services you need for your son. I live in Illinois and worked for a company which had several residential homes as well as a few sheltered workshops for those diagnosed with D.D. (M.R.). One of the residential homes is specifically for those with PWS. The home is equiped with locked cabinets and extra special diets.
Are you looking for your son to continue living with you at home but have a place to be during the day while you work? I remember we also had a PW who lived at home and his parents dropped him off at work each day.
I guess after this very long post I don't really have any advice but I definately feel for you and your family. PWS is a very difficult syndrom and it is sad not many people know about it. I know there are so many anquished parents/caregivers that need help and have not been able to get it. My thoughts and prayers go out to you in hopes you get the money for your sons services.
Best of luck.
Erika

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you chose to educate us. This is the first I have heard of it. I can only imagine the frustration.

Trish

Thanks all for reading my long (believe me, it could be much longer) post about PWS. The more people who are aware of it, as well as other obsure disablities, the better.

Valerie, we have been told that many of the symptoms and behaviors of PWS are similar to autisim. I hope Ben is doing well.

Erika, we are trying to place our son in a home specifically for PWS about an hour from our home. They have at least 2 homes for PWS, along with jobs designed for them and their unique talents. Every day I give thanks for people like you who are willing and choose to work with people with special needs. I certainly couldn't.

Thanks again,all

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.