Potty Training Help Please

mabdoo

Cathlete
My DD just turned 3. She has no desire to use the potty. She loves to run around naked but as soon as she needs to pee she asks for a diaper and then pees. How do we get her to go on the potty. She also doesn't want to use big girl underpants or even sit on the potty. I have a feeling that our 22 month old might potty train before her, which would be ok, but I know she has control because if i don't give her a pamper she will hold it a long time. I just feel like we are going to be sending her to college in diapers.

Have you tried refusing to give her a diaper? I know it could mean some messy clean up for you, but maybe the cold turkey approach would help. We finally had to do that with my 2 1/2 year old and the bottle. Gradually weaning him off of it just wasn't working. Cold turkey actually went much easier than expected, for us at least. He had completely forgotten about the bottle in less than two days and was happy to be using his "big boy" cups.

I agree...she can only hold it so long and will not like the feeling of peeing herself. You can also try a reward system which is what I did with my twins...every time they used the potty, they got a sticker and after a set amount of stickers they were able to go an pick out a toy that they would like...worked like a charm and the potty became a habit.

What has worked really well for my DGD was to get a poster board and tape to the door. When she goes potty she gets to pick a sticker and put on the board. It's very motivating. Also reading books to her while she's on the potty helps. I keep a stack just for "Potty time". Of course then she sets there and doesn't want to leave. :)

Hi I potty trained my son in 2 days. I talked to him about big boy underpants and then
we went to the store and I let him pick out some that he liked( he picked sesame street and Disney cars.). The first day I had him go about every 30 minutes and kept saying keep your big boy pants dry. I made a huge deal everytime he went. He did have one accident and he was sooo upset but after I told him that it was ok and I wasn't mad accidents happen
we just changed his pants. He was fine. Is your daughter home with you? I have a friend
whose daughter goes to daycare and she had some trouble
with them being nasty to her if she has an accident. Pulling her arm and yelling at her
poor thing is afraid to go at school(she is almost 3)
Tracy

...and will not like the feeling of peeing herself.

Are you sure? I'm chuckling because that feeling never bothered my 3 yo DD :confused: She was just fine with messy pants - she told me that she was sorry because it bothered me, but that she was okay with it. <sigh> Where do ya go with that?!

After 4 kids, my opinion is that each kid decides on their own when it's time. You can try to help them with charts, stickers, schedules, etc. and maybe that will help, but the best tip I can give is relax and be patient, don't yell or use threats/shame/negative reinforcement. Lot of love and praise.

My 3yo is very bright and strong willed - the characteristics that will help her later in life are making my parenting journey a ROUGH one!! :) Good luck to you in your journey!

Sounds like a battle of the wills. It always gets harder before it gets better. It took 1 day to train my daughter and 5 months to train my son. Don't give in. Deffinitely use positive reinforcement. Don't bribe just pick out that jack pot gift that she has always wanted and when she finally goes on the potty break it out and throw a party, . .well a mini party anyway. If you have another child who is potty trained make a deal with him/her. Tell him/her to go potty and reward him/her heavily. She'll see that her sibling gets the reward and will probably follow in his/her foot steps. Don't give in. Esp to the whinning that will inevitably happen if her sibling gets the reward that she doesn't. Trust me she'll get there. Don't show your frustration, . . somehow they can sense it and think that they are winning. I would also reccomend a day of her just sitting in it. Trust me after a while she won't like the feel of it. Esp since she's a girl. Having poop sit there after a while if not comfortable. Keep her in her panties and just be ready to clean up whatever she gives you. Oh my daughter decorated her potty with stickers of her choice which made it seem like it was truly just hers. I don't know if it would help but it helped me. Good luck. Let us know how it all goes.

Thanks for all of your ideas. Unfortunately, we can't even get her to put on big girl underpants or sit on the potty. We don't ever get mad at her we just ask her. We have tried bribing her and it doesn't work. One thing I forgot to mention was that last May and October she had to go to the ER and once they tried a catheter with no success and then both times they taped a urine bag to her and then had to peel it off, OUCH. I think this may have hindered her.

We waited until she couldn't wait any longer and she just refused to try the potty. She just kept holding it, how I will never know but she did. I think we will put it to rest again for a few weeks and try again. I don't want to force her I think it will backfire.

GraceNote: "My 3yo is very bright and strong willed - the characteristics that will help her later in life are making my parenting journey a ROUGH one!! Good luck to you in your journey!" I could've written this statement.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.