potassium and the nutrition site

pwmatt

Cathlete
OK, I know this has been brought up before, but I'm not sure how everyone is handling this. I can't seem to get my potassium level past a C grade.:( I eat lots of fruits and veggies and get good grades on most everything else, but I'm stuck with potassium.I'm wondering if I shouldn't worry about it too much - but that bad grade sticks out. :( How is everyone else handling this? Oh, I am also having trouble with Omega 6. Thoughts on that one?

Thanks folks and have a great weekend!

Last edited:
I know!! I struggle with this too!! It's next to impossible for me to get the daily recommended amount of potassium while staying within my calorie zone. I supplement now. <shrugs shoulders>

I specifically came to this forum to check on this because I can't meet my potassium requirements without eating 7 bananas a day and then I exceed my calories. I'm thinking of just taking a supplement. I hate bananas.

potassium requirements - wrong in the software??

I've learned to accept the c grade. I think the rda in the software is wrong. I checked some other websites and the RDA was much lower ( I can't remember the quantities - this was shortly after the new web site came up). Has anyone esle found that to be the case?

Increasing Potassium

Try 10 to 20 baby carrots or 3 or 4 stalks of celery (may change sodium)
0r 2 to 3 cups raw spinach. I had to use all three to get close to A.

a potassium supplement is easy

or add salt substitute to your cooking (hard to measure i know) and still use salt for the flavor. It does work.

I just tried my husband's meals on the calculator. I was suprised how much potassium was in 4 cups of coffee. Joan

too many carrots..

Try 10 to 20 baby carrots or 3 or 4 stalks of celery (may change sodium)
0r 2 to 3 cups raw spinach. I had to use all three to get close to A.

Just want to warn you that carrots are kind of a high-sugar vegetable. I would hate to see someone put on weight just to get enough potassium.

I found this out when I was juicing carrots/celery. Ouch!:rolleyes:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.