Portable meal and snack ideas?

elsie3

Cathlete
Could you share ideas/recipies for healthy, portable, non-perishable meals and snacks?

Our family vacations usually include tent camping, so I've had full access to the coolers I've packed, and complete control over meals. This year is Disneyland, so things will be different. There is a mini-fridge in the hotel room, but we'll be spending most of the time in the parks. I'm looking for stuff I can pack around that won't take up too much room and can stay good all day.

Thanks!

I bring a baby organic carrots, celery and sabra hummus single serving size to Disneyland with me. I just use a small blue ice in a ziplock and it keeps things cool. Apples are great too!

Lemon protein bars make excellent snacks; very portable and filling.
It's a Jamie Eason recipe that Stacie/Tasha turned me on to; bodybuilding.com.
Low fat, no sugar, and high in protein... it doesn't even need the Splenda/Truvia/Ideal that's listed in the recipe.

Not the healthiest, but beef jerky would pack well with crackers. I wonder if you can find out what types of foods are served at the concessions. They may have healthy choices. Have fun.
Melissa

When we're at Disney, we eat PB sandwiches, baby carrots, and oranges. (Just have wet wipes or something similar to wipe off the stickiness from the orange peeling process!)

Bananas are also good, but they do get a little brown, even when insulated.

Not the healthiest, but beef jerky would pack well with crackers. I wonder if you can find out what types of foods are served at the concessions. They may have healthy choices. Have fun.
Melissa

My kids love beef jerkey, so that's a fabulous idea. And I think there are decent food options in the park (yea), but just trying to save some $$$ by packing some stuff.

I make pancakes from eggs, ground almonds (almond flour), baking powder, a bit of agave nectar (or sugar) and fry them up in a pan. I let them cool, and wrap in two's and place in the freezer. I snack on them at work with a bit of butter. It tides me over.

I also snack on medjool dates with almonds or coconut milk yogurt with frozen berries tossed in.

I just looked up the Jamie Eason recipe for Lemon Protein Bars. One of the ingredients is 2 qts of Crystal Light :( They may be good, but that doesn't sound very appetizing.

What about cheese/ham or turkey rollups in a whole wheat tortilla? Just wrap in foil and they should be pretty safe in the cooler and won't require a lot of clean up. Most of the rooms have a microwave and you can just nuke them for a few seconds, that makes the tortilla soft and the cheese/ ham get gooey and tasty. You can do the PBJ in a whole wheat tortilla. Just roll it up, they don't smash as much as bread sandwich will. You can fill a water bottle with a little lemon juice and regular sugar for a tasty lemonade thats super easy to make. One of my favorite treats is a banana thats frozen in small bite size pieces that are easy for a child to nibble on. Its tasty and restores potassium (they will need it.) They used to sell frozen bananas, I loved those, I don't know if they do anymore, I have not been there in a very long time.

I understand and there are other posts that sound like good alternatives :)
I just thought I'd mention that there are other ingredient options for the lemon bars. For example, instead of Crystal Light I used the Propel drink mixes (lemon, cherry-lime, raspberry-lemonade). I also think that the drink mix could be omitted altogether using actual lemon juice instead of water (but they may be a little tart unless some sort of sweetener is used - honey or sugar). I left out the Splenda in the ones I made so I feel that the ingredients in the bars are pretty wholesome :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.