• Go!

Votes: 70 68.0%
  • Stay!

Votes: 33 32.0%

• Total voters

pippa

Cathlete
Hi everyone!

I'm sort of at a crossroads today with a relatively big decision and I could use some input. I'd appreciate getting as many votes as possible but no one should feel obligated(obviously! :)) to write out an answer(although if you want to and have a perspective you'd like to share, I'd love to hear it as well.)

Back story: my husband and I had a vacation planned for next week(16th-20th). We were going to Fort Lauderdale, we live outside of NYC. My husband is unable to go now because of work commitments, I am still able to go. My husband truly won't mind if I go but says it's my decision.

My conflict: 1. I want to go! It's cold here. I'd love to relax and sit at the pool. I could read and do whatever I wanted. I pretty much enjoy my own company so I don't need constant attention from someone else. I keep thinking of all of the warm weather, books I could finish, etc.

2. I don't want to go! While I certainly enjoy having time to myself, if I go I will be COMPLETELY ALONE....ALL OF THE TIME. I will have no one to eat with or go places with. And I'll basically be trapped because I'm not a terribly good driver so I'm not renting a car without my husband. Sure, I'll finish a lot of books but what I am going to do, spend 5 days reading from morning to night?:p

You can see my dilemma. :) And I honestly and truly am split 50-50 between these 2 options. I can see the good and bad in both.

ETA: I should have included this originally: Because of the short notice(I'd leave Monday!) there isn't anyone available for me to take along in my husband's place. So I either go it alone or stay home. :)

So, I turn to you, fellow Catheites! What would you do in my situation?
I really appreciate any and all votes and feedback! Thank you!:):)

Last edited:
No, unfortunately we can't postpone. We can/would get refunds on some things but there's no way we'd be able to re-schedule the trip. That's why it's an either/or kind of deal.:(

Can you shorten the trip by a couple of days? 2 days sitting by a pool by yourself seems fun. 5 days not so much. That would sort of be the best of both worlds.

GO ! It's really good to have some alone time and stand on your own two feet and find your own happiness. You might meet new people and do things that you might not have done if you were there with you DH. It would be an adventure. Character builder.

I think one of the things we can't get a refund on is the airline tickets!:p

We're willing to eat the cost of my husbands(well, obviously, since we have no other choice!) but we can't change, etc. anything to my ticket either(something about the type of ticket or something). So it really is I either go for the full trip(or buy another ticket to be able to come home earlier and I really don't want to do that!) or no one goes.:(

I think they will usually make changes to air tickets for a fee, plus any difference in the fare. It might still be worth a phone call to check, rather than abandon both tickets altogether.

I say go for the whole time....find out workout places and check out a new workout and yoga place every day...eat outside by the pool and people watch...go to clothes stores and try on funky stuff.....find a hip hair place and get hilights and a new hip Southern style cut....watch the soaps and Oprah and all the things hubby won't watch....sleep in AND take an afternoon nap...stay up and watch Conan or Anderson Cooper.....bring a notebook and write down the story of your college life and how you got to where you are....
GO FOR IT!!!! And go get the damn car and drive prudently!!!!

GO! Absence makes the heart grow fonder...I am a big believer in taking your own time and carving out your own space just for YOU. Go, you will regret it if you don't. You will have so much fun just being with you. Wish I was in this position.

I totally agree. It would be a great chance to get away and do some self exploration and try things that you might not get to if your DH was with. I love the creative suggestions that ICUmom gave.

So, what'd you decide?

I would be torn too. Like you I would not feel confident driving in a strange city and I don't generally meet new people if I'm on my own. I can't remember a single time in my life that I've struck up a conversation with a stranger and then gone on to become friends and I'm 48! On the other hand I'd really hate to see it all go to waste. I'd probably go and be more than ready to come home at the end of five days. Oh, and as someone who worked ten years as an airline reservation agent I can tell you that there is such a thing as tickets that can not be changed even for a fee.

Can you invite a girlfriend or relative to go with you since your husband can't go? I'm not sure I would go totally by myself if I didn't drive but hopefully there is someone else who would like to join you for an almost free trip.

Tracy

I wouldn't go alone. I'd be bored to tears after 24 hours....but that's just me. :)

I like Tracy's idea! Grab your best bud and go for it!

I say go but also see if a GF could go with you. On your own you maybe bored sometimes but just thing, no sharing the bed, the remote. You're on your own shedule. It actually sounds like heaven to me.:D:D I have a 3.5yo who gets up at 6am so just the thought of getting away for a few days and being able to sleep in - well just say I'm envious:p:)

Thanks everyone so far for the replies! I called the airline and they really don't want to change my ticket but they could be persuaded to do it if I basically sign over my first born.:p Seriously, they want way more money than I would ever give them for the change.

I'd love to take a friend! I mean, they'd only have to pay for whatever they needed down there but, unfortunately, everyone is working and my closest girlfriend is due to give birth on Sunday. You'd think I wouldn't have any problems finding takers on a free trip to Florida in March!:D

Go! But then 5 days alone with books and I would feel like I´m in paradise! And if you really do´t want to drive, find out places to go and take a shuttle or a cab! Do stuff that your hubby wouldn´t want to do, but you do!

GO GO GO!!!! Relax, read books, see the sun! And you might even find that driving in an unfamiliar place really isn't that difficult. Truly, do you have a timeline? Who cares if you take a wrong turn? See the sights, look at the people. Call your husband every night and remind him that you wish he were there. And that you've gotten a lovely pedicure that you can't wait for him to see...........
Enjoy!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.