PLEASE TAKE THESE OREO"S OUT OF MY HAND!!!!!!

singinggoddess

Cathlete
I don't know what has gotten in to me, except oreo's! Lately around 4pm I shove food in my mouth and not healthy food. Do any of you do that? I am good all day until this dang hour and I am good after dinner. I then hate myself for doing it and swear tomorrow I will not have my cookie binge. I know, get a life. Why do I do this?

Susan

RE: PLEASE TAKE THESE OREO

*Step away from the Oreos, Susan* As Wendy once said... :p

If you find out Susan, can you let me know? I can curb that most of the time by eating something healthy right before the "snacking hour", but sometimes nothing will do but several handfuls of things I know are horrible for me. Drives me nuts!!

Handfuls!??! Christine, I'm talking bag fulls! Susan, I'm with you. I will pay you good money if you ever find the answer to this dilemma.

I go through something similar. I can't eat empty calories unless I've had too much to drink, but my downfall is Lunabars. They taste like cookies to me, but I always think they're not that bad because they have only 7 grams of sugar and I make the argument to myself that they're not empty calories. When I'm feeling "that way" I'll eat a few of them with some decaf coffee in the afternoon. Seriously unclean! x(
-Nancy

I just got done eating at least 8 oreos at 8:30 at night. Once I got started, I just couldn't stop. I was only going to have one.

Don't feel bad, my downfall toningt was pita chips and a second glass of wine. I hear you about 4 o'clock that is the toughest time of day! Don't have any advice but sure can commiserate!
Jen

(Oh and I had my 2nd glass at 9:00PM)

Would I be really dumb if I suggested that you don't buy them?

"You can't win them all - but you can try." - Babe Zaharias http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/musik/music-smiley-004.gif[/img]

Hi Susan,

it is not the oreos, and your'e not crazy... it is the habit. We are (as the saying goes) 'creatures of habit', and you just have to break the cycle, and force yourself not to do it just a couple of times in a row. I have a similar problem with nighttime snacking at the moment. It is an easy habit to pick up; cookies are good. But breaking a habit just requires establishing a new routine. It is actually quite simple if you are in the right mindset, but sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you find the willpower to change. Habits are powerful mind control. Try mixing up your daily routine for a few days, and not allowing yourself to be near food at that hour.
Good luck!

Nicole

Oh Susan, I do share your pain. I find that if I deny myself the goodie and try to eat something healthy, I'll end up eating the goodie anyway! I think somethimes you just have to let yourself. The trick is to not make it an everyday habit. I have a 5pm pretzel habit that I just can't seem to break. Sometimes, I'll have some iced coffee (left in the pot from the AM). I put it in the magic bullet with Spenda and some vanilla soy milk. That seems to fill my tummy (sometimes) until I can make dinner.

Good Luck. Phyllis

http://www.picturetrail.com/pwmatt

Hi,

I have been battling the same problem. One day I counted up how many calories I consumed while cooking and it was close to 1000. That was eye opening. I have started eating about 300-400 calories meals for breakfast and lunch. When I get home from work, about 3:30 I make sure that I sit down and eat something satisfying instead of popcorn or junk. Usually it's a left over. Then I drink a cup of coffee while I'm cooking. I know it's not great, but it does help me control the eating while I cook and until we eat, which is usually not until 8pm. I also try to remember that at my age (47), every calorie makes a difference now and I work too hard to blow it on junk that I don't really want.

Also, did you ever think of buying those multi-bag boxes of cookies from Costco or other places. I just had to have Oreos the other day, and the bag stopped me at 160 calories.

Tracy

I also share your pain. And agree it is habit. I get home from work at 3pm and can pace the house and eat junk. It's like a destressor and I come home and do a Cathe workout most days. So go figure. Even at work it happnes, break time everyone is eating, must be time for me to eat to.

Jenn

Oh Susan!

Do I know what you are going through! Lately my downfall has been chocolate Bridge Mix.....have you ever had this? Well, don't!!!! It's so addictive it's not even funny. But I think "honeybunch1" is right when she says dont buy it.....I've become more aware, and more mindful of this habit and when I go down the candy isle, I stop and think. Sometimes the angel on my right shoulder wins, and sometimes the devil on my left shoulder wins. But at least I've gotten to that point, now I have to work on letting the "angel" win more often. It comes down to awareness. At that 3 o'clock hour when I feel the sugar monster hovering over me, I leave and sit outside on my deck and read, or go for a walk, laundry ANYTHING to get my mind off of it.

One trick I learned to help with the chocolate cravings is to dip a banana in low fat or fat free chocolate pudding. The pudding helps with the chocolate "thing" and the banana gives it plenty of substance. See if that helps.

Elizabeth

I've never subscribed to Honeybunch's "don't buy it" philosophy. If I really want something, I get it for myself so I don't feel denied. Denial does not work for me because it always backfires.

Instead, I have changed my tastes. I notice how great I feel when I'm eating a lot of veggies and fruit, and how awful I feel when I eat junk. My blood sugar spikes, and I start to crave sugar. Then I get sleepy and lose my mental focus. In short, I hate the way I feel, and I have come to associate junk food with bad feelings, and have lost my taste for it.

I'm not telling you this to brag. I just wanted to let you know that it can be done. My DH brings junk into the house, and I don't even taste it anymore! I know. I'm amazed too. I had a terrible sweet tooth most of my life, so if I can do it, believe me, you too can change your tastes too. It's really not that hard. Lunabars have all the sugar I ever "crave" anymore, and that's not much.

Good luck!
-Nancy

Dear Miz Nancy -

What I meant was, if you can't control your munchies no matter what, and you tend to devour the entire package of Oreos, then it's better not to buy them.

I'm very good at keeping the goodies in the freezer until my pig out day, but have NO control when it comes to marshmallow peeps, pig out day or no pig out day. I know I can't have them in the house so I don't buy them. It's for THOSE munchies to which I was referring.

"You can't win them all - but you can try." - Babe Zaharias http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/musik/music-smiley-004.gif[/img]

Thanks guys!

I knew I would get some support from you guys. It is just so ridiculous. Honeybunch is right, don't buy them. I always think I can eat just one, but I am definitley an all or nothing gal. I will take some of your suggestions. Good news is there are no more oreos in the house:)

Susan

That was my thought as well! Why are they even in the house, especially if this is a known issue? Just throw them away, and be done with it.

m.

Hi HB,
I think I understand what you're saying. I'm just saying that your method has always backfired on me. The only times in my life I have ever been overweight was when I wanted things and didn't let myself have them, because I would always wind up bingeing. But then I've always been bad at discipling myself, so maybe it's just me. I know the same method doesn't work for everyone.

Maybe I do have a kind of cheat day. When I go out to dinner and drink wine, I tend to eat things I wouldn't otherwise eat. The wine gives me cravings, but no way am I ever giving it up! }(
-Nancy

Please... I ate a donut -- a donut, of all things -- as "dessert" last night (I usually have some light ice cream). Was thinking about that donut (crumb variety) while I did RS this a.m. Hey, we're human!!

Phyllis! You just gave me an awesome idea for my mid-morning snack! I'm going to take the left over coffee (now cold), mix it with a cup of soymilk, and add some sugar. Thanks!!

Sandra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.