Please Help :( Medical Question

lbeach

Cathlete
ok... my boyfriend is very sick, and doctors can't help us so far... so i'm asking if you all have had a similar experisnce or if the nurses and docters here might have some insight...

About 2 weeks ago he started having severe pain in his quad muscle. It started hurting at work one day, (he has a desk job, wasn't doing anything strenuous) and got worse. By the next day he was in tears and couldn't walk. The doctor quickly dismissed it as a strained muscle, and gave him some anti-inflamatories and muscle relaxers.

Now, 2 weeks later... he is still in a lot of pain, and has a severe headache, nausea, and keeps getting a very high temperature, chills, then he sweats cause he's so hot... So last night he went to the emergency room because his heartbeat was up to 120+.

They tested for menengitis, hepatitis, malaria, and some other things... The only abnormal thing in his blood was an extremely high whitecell count. Also, there were excess liver enzymes (which could be from the anti-inflamatories he was taking).

So, they discharged hi frmo the ER, saying there was nothing they could do cause they didn't know WHY his white blood cell count was so high. He is still in a LOT of pain and has a severe fever. Also, he has been getting abcesses in his groin area for the past month... wuite a few small ones, and one large one.

SO... could his muscle be infected somehow, and be causeing all the other probelms including the abcesses? We are just at a loss right now, and don't know what to do....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-L

Sorry no advice to give other than getting a second opinion. Obviously something is causing an infection of some sort since his leukocyte count is up. I hope they are able to find out what is wrong with him!

it seems unreasonable that the ER discharged him. i would immediately call his primary care MD back or take him to a different ER. the rapid heart rate was most likely from the fever, but an elevated WBC and liver enzymes IS serious. let us know when you find something out

Wish I knew. My daughter was just in the hospital with extremely low white blood count and was too tested for hepatitis, menigitis, etc. She ended up having mono so we are grateful. I just don't think the hospital should have discharged him if they still don't know that is why my daughter stayed in the hospital because they wouldn't send her home until they knew for sure what was going on with her. Anyhow, you both will be in my prayers.
Please keep us updated.
Charlotte~~

I highly agree with Joannafit! Get him to his primary Dr or another emergency room. The elevated White Blood Count is something that needs to be addressed.

Gayle

He is going to have to go to an internist. He needs more tests. The last time I heard of anyone having pain like that, they had a spider bite. But normally there would be some sort of "boil" on the surface of the skin.

The recurring absesses are a bit unusual too. Not enough information to really give you an answer.

Love,
Madonna

Since his pain is so localized that this probably isn't it, but I know that people who get Lyme disease are often misdiagnosed. Did they check for that? I'm not in the medical field, BTW.

Laura~I would definitely go for another opinion, especially because he is in sooo much pain. A severe fever is nothing to play around with either. Lots of hugs and prayers to you both. Keep us posted.

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie")http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

have they done x-ray's or anything like that? this would probably be on the way extreme end and most likely isn't it, but my grandmother had sudden pain in her femur and couldn't walk after about a day, they ended up finding a tumor/growth in/on her femur. like i said, this is a rare case, it most likely isn't this. possibly the muscle tore away from the bone a little? a rupture of the quad?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.