PLEASE ANSWER CATHE OR ANYONE ELSE

iamfirmin

Cathlete
I do not have a bar or squat machine...
Can I substitute weights for a barbell and squat machine..
I do not have the room for a weight bar.....
Let me know
I am thinking of ordering STS

I REALLYREALLY LUV GYM STYLE!!!! THAT IS MY ALL TIME FAV!!!

I WISH THEY HAD A FOLD UP BARBELL SET

THANKS EVERYONE

I do have a barbell but I barely use it because I hate loading and unloading it when it's time to change the weight.
I mostly use dumbells because it's just so easier.
In fact when I did meso#2 all the leg workouts use dumbells and plyo legs too!!

Hope this helps!

I don't have a barbell either and made it through STS without one. I did keep having to buy heavier weights though. One thing that did help me add more weight for leg work was getting a weighted vest.

Hope that helps,
Heather

I only used dumbbells for entire STS. Don't let that stop you from STS.

I lost 2" from my waist, 2" from my hips and 1 1/4" from each thigh.

Joan

I assume by "weights" you mean dumbells (barbells are also "weights")?
You can definitely use dumbells, but a bar is more comfortable for some people for squats. (A Troy Lite set doesn't take up a lot of room. You can store the bar and the weights under a sofa, or even put the bar--without weights--in a closet, and the weights under a chair or in a corner).

Using a weighted vest + weights (dumbells or barbells) can also help.

For those of you who use dumbells, how do you hold them in squats? I am unable to use a barbell because of my shoulder which I injured a few years ago. The last time I used it, it put too much pressure on my back and shoulders. Thanks for the input. Melissa

If it's more muscle endurance where the weights are lighter, I actually have small towels and rest them on my shoulders. For the heavier weights, I hold them at the sides. You really have to watch your form a little more - or at least I feel that way. You'll also have to build up forearm strength, which I quickly realized I was lacking during Meso 2!!!

Heather

For those of you who use dumbells, how do you hold them in squats? I am unable to use a barbell because of my shoulder which I injured a few years ago. The last time I used it, it put too much pressure on my back and shoulders. Thanks for the input. Melissa

Thanks for the reply. I have pain in my shoulder even when my purse is there (it isn't very heavy). Also, I guess I thought the weight of the barbell was suppose to rest on my upper back/shoulders. I tried not to use my forearms too much. Maybe this will help me a little when I lift heavier. Melissa

When I use dumbells for squats, I usually hold them right in front of my shoulders (like at the top of a 'high' bicep curl, with the ends resting against the front of my shoulders). I can't rest them on top of my shoulders (like they show in Firm videos) because it HURTS! (I'm kinda boney there!).

I also sometimes hold them at my sides, but that can be tricky: it's important to watch for a tendency to round forward.

i used only dumbells for sts and got great results. buy a weighted vest, weighted gloves, and increase the poundage as you go along. i bought 15, 20 and 25lb weights. it may be cheaper (and save space) to buy an adjustable speed pack up to 25lbs. i saw them in target (reebok brand). good luck with sts, you'll love the results...worth every penny.

Kathryn, that's why I use old dish towels. I just fold them up and rest the weight on top of the towels on top of my shoulders. I'm bony too!

I also agree with form when holding at the sides. I tend to no sit into as much for some reason. I really can only do that with slower sets that allow me to really really pay attention to form. I wish I had a long mirror to watch myself in even. Maybe it's the tendency for the weights to slight move forward as you start to go down?

Heather

When I use dumbells for squats, I usually hold them right in front of my shoulders (like at the top of a 'high' bicep curl, with the ends resting against the front of my shoulders). I can't rest them on top of my shoulders (like they show in Firm videos) because it HURTS! (I'm kinda boney there!).

I also sometimes hold them at my sides, but that can be tricky: it's important to watch for a tendency to round forward.

I wear two weighted vests at one time and place the dumbbells on my shoulders. I also put a towel around my next and shoulder area so I don't crush my boney shoulders. It's been working great. With all that stuff and the dumbbells I do have, I'm squatting around 96lbs. It's not super super heavy, but it's producing results for right now.

Absolutely Iamfirmin! STS is great to do with DB. You will totally still feel it and in some cases perhaps even more :eek:

I do not have a bar or squat machine...
Can I substitute weights for a barbell and squat machine..
I do not have the room for a weight bar.....
Let me know
I am thinking of ordering STS

I REALLYREALLY LUV GYM STYLE!!!! THAT IS MY ALL TIME FAV!!!

I WISH THEY HAD A FOLD UP BARBELL SET

THANKS EVERYONE

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.