Plastic Steam Veggie Bags?

workout

Cathlete
Hello, with so much information about toxins being released into food with plastic containers, would that apply with all of those frozen veggies in plastic bags that you throw in the microwave and steam away? I'm the only one that eats a ton of veggies at home so I don't buy any fresh vegetables because it will go bad, so I rely on these bags of frozen veggies and just pop them in the microwave and eat my veggies. Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

I found the following quote at this web site (http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/)
hth

Contaminants

You probably don't need to worry about BPA getting into your food due to cooking the vegetables in the plastic bag. "Good Housekeeping" sent samples of a number of types of plastic containers, including a type of microwave steam bag, to a lab for testing. The lab found that most did not contain phthalates or BPA, and those that did contain small amounts of BPA didn't transfer this chemical to the food that was cooked in the container even after 30 uses. Steam bag vegetables are just as good for you as other frozen vegetables that you cook outside of the bag.

I found the following quote at this web site (http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/)
hth

Contaminants

You probably don't need to worry about BPA getting into your food due to cooking the vegetables in the plastic bag. "Good Housekeeping" sent samples of a number of types of plastic containers, including a type of microwave steam bag, to a lab for testing. The lab found that most did not contain phthalates or BPA, and those that did contain small amounts of BPA didn't transfer this chemical to the food that was cooked in the container even after 30 uses. Steam bag vegetables are just as good for you as other frozen vegetables that you cook outside of the bag.

Thank you so much Cecelia!!

No problem! It's something I've wondered about, too. It was nice to find out there is ONE less thing to worry about.

I don't care what they say. They always change their minds eventually. Personally I am not eating veggies steamed in a plastic bag. Sure the plastic water bottles were fine until they weren't.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.