Plantar Fasciitis Sufferers

I have custom orthotics but every time I had to have them redone they came back with an uncomfortable too-slippery surface that had my stocking feet sliding around inside my shoes. The last time I was at the New Balance store the salesman really worked with me to get a shoe that corrected my problem so I wouldn't have to wear orthotics (though I do use their basic insert).

My dream shoe is New Balance model #1223, my feet are virtually FLAT, and I have felt no pain whatsoever (for the first time) since I started wearing them. I'm due for a replacement pair now.

PF

Hi,

I had it bad several years ago and ended up using the stationary bike for my cardio for a while. Now I can do whatever I want without any trouble. I am very careful about all of the shoes that I wear.

Here's another vote for New Balance Shoes. I wear 1007 or whatever the current one is, it could be 1008 for indoor training and always their running shoes. Also,

• replacing workout shoes when they start to break down, which is usually 3-6 months depending on the season
  • Birkenstocks and Keens
  • no going barefoot
  • ice
  • stretching the calf
  • sitting with my foot flat on the floor and slightly back behind my knee to encourage the calf to be stretched instead of shortened while sitting helped eliminate pain when getting up
  • stretching in the am before getting out of bed
Tracy

I have a pair of New Balance shoes. There model # 602. I also use gel inserts in them. They're only about 3 months old and still in pretty good shape.

I wear Crocs around the house. The kind with the fur lining in them. Is that not a good thing? :confused: They're so comfortable.

resource

Hi,

If you search PF on Runner's World it has some videos and stretches that I don't think have been mentioned here. It's worth a look.

As far as inside shoes, for me it had to be something that distributed my weight across my entire foot, but like everything else, everyone is different. I always wear Birkenstocks in the house. They do encourage the gripping with the toes, which is demonstrated in some of the stretches on Runner's World.

Tracy

Custom orthotics (for support) and asics (great cushioning) is what worked for me. I had PF for over a year, now my feet feal great.

When I had pain I used aleve and streached my toes back. I used a blanket to stretch my toes while watching TV or while sleeping. And I stayed away from the triggers, which was step. Now I can do low impact, I just don't do it every day, which is what caused it. HTH.

Before you buy the custom orthotics, I would like to suggest that you try SuperFeet inserts. They sell them at running stores (and I'm sure other places). I use them with all my sneakers and closed toes shoes (I pull out the insert that came with the shoes and put the Superfeet in). I have just one pair of Superfeet that I move from shoe to shoe.

For me, here's what worked . . .

1. One simple stretch (hands pushing on wall, one leg back to stretch each calf separately) 3 X's on each leg for ten seconds. I do this 8 times per day.

2. I wore a "Boot" similar to the Sock mentioned above at bed time for about 8 weeks. (I only wore it for about 2 hours a night)

3. I had my stride analyzed and got the right shoe for my mechanical problems

4. I wear the Superfeet whenever I can

It took 8 weeks for me to get rid of the PF and it's been gone about 6 months.

Now, I have calf problems, but it seems that deep tissue massage is taking care of that (who would have thought massage can be so painful).

Good Luck!

Three words.

Birkenstock, Birkenstock, Birkenstock.

http://www.hawea.de/Birkenstock.html

These amazing shoes were prescribed by my podiatrist. It saved much pain. Seriously.

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Well, after suffering with PF for over a year, I finally decided to bite the bullet and get a corisone shot. I got the shot this past Monday. So far, so good. My question is, when can I start doing step cardio again? I've really missed it. Should I limit my step cardio to once or twice a week?

Well, after suffering with PF for over a year, I finally decided to bite the bullet and get a corisone shot. I got the shot this past Monday. So far, so good. My question is, when can I start doing step cardio again? I've really missed it. Should I limit my step cardio to once or twice a week?

Anyone????

I'd ask the Doc that gave me the shot....he should be able to give you advice!

My PF, KNOCK ON WOOD, is totally in check....meaning I haven't had a flare up in several weeks. The only thing I really changed from my normal routine was wear shoes whenEVER I'm awake! :p It took a while, like 6 months, but I feel awesome and have been consistently running and recently started Shock Cardio.....and still no flare ups! KNOCK ON WOOD!

I'd ask the Doc that gave me the shot....he should be able to give you advice!

My PF, KNOCK ON WOOD, is totally in check....meaning I haven't had a flare up in several weeks. The only thing I really changed from my normal routine was wear shoes whenEVER I'm awake! :p It took a while, like 6 months, but I feel awesome and have been consistently running and recently started Shock Cardio.....and still no flare ups! KNOCK ON WOOD!

I agree! Your doctor ahould be able to tell you! :)
And putting away the flip flops, slippers,etc has also made a huge difference in my PF...yeah! I wear tennis shoes all the time when I;m on my feet. I'm so relieved that a simple change made the difference for me because I know there are those who struggle for years without relief!:(

Thanks ladies. I go today for a shot in my right foot, so I'll ask my Dr. then.

Horseshowmom, you are lucky. I've been dealing with this for a year and a half now. :( It sucks.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.