Plank Position Poll

Stacy

Cathlete
As I was doing the planks at the end of S&H Chest and Back this morning I started to wonder which plank position is hardest for everyone to hold whether it be due to tired arms, sore wrists, or a tired core....the supine plank, the straight arm prone plank, or the prone plank on your elbows?? For me it's the straight arm prone plank.

:) Stacy

Hi! For me it is also hardest to hold the straight arm prone position, because of shoulder fatigue. I don't feel that one in my core too much--I feel my core the most doing the elbow-supported prone plank.
Wendy

The straight arm prone plank is most difficult for me as well. And don't even let me think about lifting the leg or pulling it in! It's all I can do to maintain the regular position, while shaking like a leaf!

Donna

I can't do straight arm prone plankes without pushup handlebars because of my wrists, but bent arm prones seem to get me much more. My arms usually are the first to give out.

Andrea

The straight arm prone plank is the most difficult for me. The routines from Slow and Heavy are the hardest.

I have found a little trick when doing these that seem to make it a bit easier. When in the position, don't just use your toes for balancing your body. Push back slightly on those toes. By doing that you are distributing your weight more evenly. It takes some of the strain away from the shoulder area. I don't know if I have explained that clearly but I hope you all get what I mean.

Marlene

The supine plank for me - I'm just not used to being in that position, and it's very challenging on my low back and legs. Because I'd done so much push-up development prior to starting prone planks, those have never been a problem for me.

Annnette Q. Aquajock

Marlene is right..............

I can't recall which video gave me that advice, I only have a few that work in some plank work (CIA videos), but one of them said to push back on your toes, and push your shoulder blades down and back away from your ears, and it makes holding the position easier (when I remember of course!).

Donna

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.