PiYo ... what do you think?

mbmundt

Cathlete
I've been looking at PiYo for quite sometime deciding if I want to get it or not. Looking for feedback from any Cathletes that have done it. The video clips I've seen on it, it looks like a pretty good workout. Also looking for something popular to certified in and teach classes in my area. Was wondering if this would be a good one to teach.

Would love your comments.
Thanks!
Brenda

Hi Brenda,
I really wanted to like piyo, but it just didn't do it for me. The warm ups were all very similar, and there was a lot of swooping your head down, which made me feel a bit nauseous! I never felt there was enough cardio to really get my heart pumping, nor enough strength to build muscle, nor enough stretching to really ease my muscles. If I was coming from a different direction (if I hadn't done Cathe or proper yoga and Pilates) I might have found it a good all round programme, but it's just not for me.

That's not to say it's a bad programme. The instruction is good, and overall quality great, but I'll probably only ever use it as an occasional change.

I love PiYo. It is great for a change. Chalene is motivating and knowledgeable. I agree the moves repeat throughout the workouts, and the warm-ups are similar. But, when I wake up at 4:30am to exercise, I welcome doing something familiar. My husband loves it too. The workouts are effective and short enough to do before work. I got my set on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your feedback. I'll have to go out to videofitness.com as well to get more input on PiYo.

Thanks again... appreciate it!

I actually got certified to teach it, so I had access to ongoing different piyo exercises, I grew tired of it after a while, but I still do the Chalene version on occasion for some of the balance work. I hate the warm up.. it never got me really warm and I hated teaching that... I always wanted to break into my own warm up.. haha! The lower body and power sections sometimes were ok.. In fact those were fun on the instructor programs.. some had lots of burpees and cross back lunge type moves..but were very short in duration. I still use some of the moves in my own warm ups and cool downs. On a scale of 1-10 on how I like it, probably a 5 or 6, it has it's place in my rotation.

It also depends on what you are looking for.... If you are looking to teach it, just know you get new workouts every month.. so that's kind of nice. I was limited (neck issue), so I only taught a 30 minute class, but you can teach 30,45 min or up to an hour class, they also send you the music to use.

Hi Dawn,

I was thinking about getting certified to teach it. I want to like yoga and Pilates but I get too bored with it. This looked like more of a power yoga and was hoping that maybe it would be something that I would be interested in as well as others.

Thanks for responding to the thread.

I like PiYo, I always get a good sweat and find it a nice workout to do first thing in the morning but I don't like doing heavy cardio first thing either. I think it's best as a supplement to Cathe workouts so getting it in your rotation once or twice a week works nice and if I'm doubling up my workouts days I enjoy using PiYo as one of the workouts. I have really enjoyed the DVD that uses the discs.

Cindy

Hi Dawn,

I was thinking about getting certified to teach it. I want to like yoga and Pilates but I get too bored with it. This looked like more of a power yoga and was hoping that maybe it would be something that I would be interested in as well as others.

Thanks for responding to the thread.

When I did my classes, I did the first two sections for warm-up, then switched to the lower body and Power sections.. those were always my faves.. then I did a core section and a yoga cool down, which the girls loved and I grew to like as well. I'm more your personal trainer/athletic type person, so learning the yoga section to teach was difficult for me, but I managed.. I kept it easy and pulled out some sections that I felt were too advanced for my girls or if I felt it was too hard to teach while watching them. But there's the thing, it can be flexible and you can make it the type of class you want.. I was like you and wanted to spice up yoga and pilates, knowing that I could use it.. this helped in some respects.. Go for it if you want! You'll never know if you don't give it a shot. And like I said, each month you get a new workout, so you get to change it up . Teaching was fun, but I ended up quitting due to schedule and an on-going issue with my neck. I needed time for healing. Sometimes I miss it.. especially when I hear songs on the radio that were designated PIYO songs in the workouts. haha!

I liked a couple of the workouts, but can't say I'd spend the money again on the program. I compare everything to Cathe's production quality and find she is still my go-to for almost all my workouts!

Lisa

I'm glad I bought it used, and glad I sold it for pretty much what I paid for it.
Really wanted to like it, really tried to like it, but I found it was boring. But that's me. I don't generally like yoga that much so that's probably why.

That is my fear.. I'm not a Yoga fan. I want to like it but just not there. I did do Yoga Max Saturday morning. I didn't enjoy it because I was basically forcing myself to do it.

Thanks for the comments and feedback. It has been very helpful.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.