Pilates instead of weight training??

Hi everyone! I know you guys are quite an educated crowd so I thought this would be the perfect place to ask my question!
I'm only 15 years old and a serious dancer, so I want the look of long, lean muscles and I want to strengthen my body. I've been doing weight training for a few years now, but my dance teachers keep fussing at me to stop! I decided to try pilates instead and I love it.
Can pilates replace weight training for a young dancer like me?
Thanks for any ideas you may have!

Hi,

I do think that Pilates can keep you in great shape if you keep progressing with it. I've been doing something called T-Tapp (t-tapp.com) in conjunction with Cathe workouts; it works really well at toning without weights. You may also want to consider doing light weights/high reps a couple times a week along with Pilates.

~Kathleen~

Hi there. I have an almost 15 yr. old daughter who is tall and lean. She does the Windsor Pilates tapes and loves it. She does not want to bulk up or build up too much muscle, she just wants definition. So, yes, I agree with Kathleen. Pilates will be excellent for you. :)

Does anybody here know whether or not Cathe does pilates herself? Just curious. If she does, obviously it is in addition to heavy strength training.
Lisa

RE: NO

IMHO, Pilates can be a good addition to your program but cannot replace weight training. And I think your dance teacher is exceptionally irresponsible to "fuss" at you for a practice that is so vital to health.

Dancers in particular run several orthopedic risks that catch up with them later in life if they are pressured and/or continually strive to be ultra-thin, ultra-lean, and make punishing demands on their bodies through their dance performance.

My suggestion is to maintain strength training, working all of the muscle groups at least once a week, and bring Pilates in as an adjunct to your training.

A-Jock

Thanks for the advice! I checked out the T-tap website and it looks very interesting... I had never heard of it. Geez they had a lot of success stories on there!!!

A-Jock,

I'm so glad you posted your candid response. I totally agree with you that weight training is vital to our health.

Pilates is great for stretching the muscles & building core strength but it CAN NOT replace weight training.

IMO pilates would be perfect for her, and strength training isn't nessecary because she is still very young. I think that when she gets into her 20's then that would be a good time to begin strength training with weights. Pilates basically is strength training, just without any extra weight. Dancers have a lot of muscle and the pilates will just strengthen the muscle she already has.
Tina

There is a wealth of research from exercise physiologists, including Dr. Wayne Wescott, PhD., who would disagree with any assertion that weight training is unnecessary or undesirable for teenagers; in fact, Dr. Wescott specializes in strength training for teens and young adults and has written at least one textbook on the subject. Teen athletes and teens who engage in dance on an ongoing, performance-driven basis especially need to pay attention to strength training, which I repeat Pilates ISN'T.

Teens who engage in aesthetics-driven sports and activities such as dancing, gymnastics, figure skating, etc. run profound risks by NOT strength training in the wake of the physical demands of their sports or dance activities; further, they run the risk of developing hypermobility and hyperflexibility of the joints in their later years if they don't maintain strength and mass.

Beyond that, dancers, especially young female dancers, run the risk of developing severe body-image, eating, exercise and other behavioral disorders oriented toward an ultra-lean appearance that can affect them for the rest of their lives. Strength training for health and physical performance can help minimize that risk.

I stand by my previous post: Pilates is NOT a commensurate substitute for strength training. Silverlining can make any choice she wishes, but she should be able to do so with appropriate information.

A-Jock

Thanks for all your responses! Fascinating how everyone has a different take on my question... I guess I'll need a little experimentation to figure out what's best for my body. I'm thinking to do either one day of strength training and two days of pilates or maybe vice versa. I love pilates, but I somehow feel so guilty when my muscles aren't burning like crazy like when I use heavy weights! hehe! anyway, thanks again to all of you.

At the risk of sounding argumentative those of you who think pilates is not about strength training have not done enough pilates.Pilates actually uses your own body weight for resistance for some of the strength training, but there are also pilates moves that use weights. Pilates is not just for core but for every joint and muscle in your body. While I agree weight training is essential at any age to ensure muscle development and to prevent bone density loss pilates is a strength AND flexibility workout. Weights, bodybars, stability balls (which add about 2 lbs worth of resistance),and simply your own body weight (ie in planks, pushups etc) can be incorporated into any Pilates workout. Personally I prefer to hit the heavy weights 2-3 times a week but you can get a solid strength workout using the discipline of pilates as well. I think it is all about doing what you find works for you. This is what keeps you motivated and enjoying maintaining that temple! Lastly, don't let anyone (other than possibly your Mother!) "fuss" you into any exercise regime that doesn't make you feel GOOD!

Thanks for your advice "momincharge"!! You're right... when I had some private pilates sessions we did use light weights, stability balls, and do pushups. Believe me, I felt the burn! I'm finding that the key to the answer to my original question is all in the instructor, video, or types of exercises you choose to include.
All it takes is a little experimentation...
(Although I have to grin and bear it with dance instructors, I can count on coming home to some fussing from my mom... hehe!!!!)

Is the jury really in on weights preventing osteoprosis? I thought it was but some discussions on other boards led me to think maybe it's not? Just curious.

I guess I took Miram Nelson at her word in Strong Women Stay Young.

Edith

Silverlining, I'm confused. Your profile says that you are male, yet everyone has been giving you advice (and even one person referred to you as a female) as if you're female. You have not corrected them. Are you indeed a male???? If so, why have you not clarified that point? Just curious.

Hollie

RE: Hollie!

Hahahahahahahahaha!!! I had NO idea. Thanks for letting me know.

*goes off to check her own profile*

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.