Pilates from a video?

you will get a lot IF you do it Right and do it regularly.

BUT

To make sure you have the form and movements right, one really needs a competent teacher. You dont need to have private lessons unless you can afford them, but you do need someone to check your form and remind you about knitting those ribs down and see when you are out of alignment. There are a lot of details that make Pilates Pilates. A teacher can teach you how to keep track of these things so you are getting the most out of it and not going to get hurt.

I have spent all my life ivolved in dance and thought it would be easy to do pilates alone at home .... but when i started going to a class and private lesson i found i wasnt working near hard enough and not using the right emphasis in form. Once you know your stuff, you can do it alone, and really apply the form to a lot of other things you do..

Gretchen, I'm backing up Cinza again. I started with a video, then took mat classes for awhile which helped me progress. My Christmas gift last year was a few private sessions which helped immensely. I told the instructor I would be using videos at home since I couldn't afford private sessions and had progressed past the group mat class. She recommended the Stott tapes & used the sessions to work on my form & introduce me to things that we hadn't done in class. Some movements are easier to learn on the Reformer (e.g. the jackknife).

I've rambled on as usual but here are 2 key points. One, I found an instructor who didn't mind that I was going the video route. Two, I found I need to switch videos or it gets stale.

Aren't you doing some running & considering a triathlon? The diaphram breathing taught in Pilates will help you immensely. My Spinning instructor tries to teach the class proper breathing technique, but it's hard to learn when you're at 85%!

Debra

Hi Debra!
I was hoping you could help me out. I run 5-6 times a week, spin (2x/week). I was doing Firms (plus gym leg weights) EOD mixed with running but I talked to my spinning instructor who is also a Pilates trainer and she recommended stop lifting weights because I was having hip problems. She recommended doing Pilates or the Stott videos.
Finally, I get to the question: What diaphram breathing exercises are you doing and did you learn them on Stott videos or Pilates Teacher?
Thanks so much!
Angela

Hi Angela

I was first introduced to diaphragm breathing in Spinning classes, it didn't really click until Pilates. Kries, Stott, Living Arts - they all cover it but I think Suzanne Deason's warm-up in the Balance Ball workouts is the best. You get the rhythm during the warm up & then use it throughout a Pilates workout. On the good videos & in mat class, it's constantly reinforced. It quickly becomes a habit in cardio work (or at least till you go anaerobic & quit thinking).

Since you're running so often, have you considered that the source of your hip problems? But back to your instructor's suggestion, many of us have muscle inbalances that result in chronic pain. Pilates or yoga can help you with muscular balance. I don't understand why weight training would be a negative but I'm not a professional.

Another thought is that your hip flexors might be really tight from running & Spinning. Pilates helped me a lot with hamstring & hip flexor flexibility. I believe you can get the same benefits from yoga.

Debra

RE: Hi Angela

Debra,
Thanks so much for your advice! I guess the reason I thought Pilates would be better is because I'm only doing very light weight for lower body but I don't want to lose muscle. I know my hip pain is from running a lot but I really enjoy it so I thought I'd try more stretching/pilates/yoga. Have you tried Yoga for Athletes? Also, how often do you recommend doing yoga or pilates?
I'll see if I can get my hands on Suzanne Deason's Balance Ball w/o.
Thanks again!
Angela

Yoga for Athletes is one of the few yoga tapes I own & I do like it. It also works on muscular balance. Some of the positions are demanding on the legs but it works the large muscles, whereas Pilates tends to isolate muscles. I find when I'm riding a lot, I just need some isolation work & don't need to do heavy strength work on my legs. That's the classic question for runners & cyclists isn't it, how much strength work?

I don't see why you couldn't do non-strenuous yoga or Pilates (or stretching or Tai Chi) every day. I'm trying to mix it up, do stretching or yoga on days I do traditional ab work.

The Living Arts videos are online thru Gaiam.com. I bought the beginner ball kit (ball, pump & 2 videos) for about $40. Borders seems to carry a lot of Living Arts videos, along with lots of other mind/body videos. Sometimes they have fitness balls & Pilates rings too.

Good luck with your hip.

Debra

Hi Debra,
[That's the classic question for runners & cyclists isn't it, how much strength work?]

Yes, that is the question I'd love to have answered!!! :-hmmm
I've pretty much have been staying with Firm and my own routines mostly body weight bearing exercises. Maybe I'm a creature of habit but I like have a routine. I've talked to other runners and some swear by doing all heavy wts, others no weights and some pilates type exercises. I certainly don't like the results I get froom heavy weights so for the first time I'm trying more reps and lighter weight. I'd love to know what you think!

I went to Barnes & Noble about an hour ago to see what the breathing thing is all about and there are quite a few books on Pilates. If the breathing is about expanding your rib cage rather than diaghramic breathing I understand it, otherwise I'll have to get more videos :) I certainly wouldn't mind!!!

Thanks Debra!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.