Piercing and exercise?

dixiedog6

Cathlete
I have a question that I am sure many of you could help me with. I recently got my belly button pierced and I am going to go back to exercising in the next couple of days. I feel silly for asking, but will vigorous exercise, i.e. high impact cause my piercing to migrate or the hole to stretch? TIA

I don't think vigorous exercise will affect the piercing, but you might want to exercise with your belly button exposed while it's healing, to prevent fabric rubbing against it and irritating it or possibly stretching it. I had my belly button pierced 20 years ago.

That's so cool Bobbi, do you still have it? I always wear a sport bra when working out. Thank you for the info!

That's so cool Bobbi, do you still have it? I always wear a sport bra when working out. Thank you for the info!

Yes, I still have it. The only time it was out was during the second half of my pregnancy with my daughter, and she's turning 12 next month! :D

Be careful doing ab work. I got my bb pierced in December and ended up injuring it this summer and needing to re-heal it. It took a lot longer then it should have, partially due to the fact that I was continuing to do ab work. Once I stopped it healed much faster!!!

I had my belly button pierced 15 years ago (still have it!) and i had no problems doing any of my regular activities when it was healing. It didn't take long to heal but i guess everyone is different since i've heard of others having issues.
If you can find it, there is a healing balm called MECCA. It comes in a little orange tin. My friend had recommended this to me when i got my piercing. She said that everyone who used this had no problems with healing and it worked for me. You apply it after cleaning.

I know everyone heals at differnt rates, but how long did you gals wait before getting back in to ab work?

Last edited:
Also, do you think ab work would contribute to migration? There is so much information out there, it is hard to find any real answers.

I can't answer this because 20 years ago when I had my bb pierced, I never exercised! I'm older and wiser now. ;)

I know everyone heals at differnt rates, but how long did you gals wait before getting back in to ab work?

I can't remember how long I waited after I first got it done but after I injured it, I stopped doing abs for about 2 weeks and it made a world of difference! I realized that I was basically re-injuring it every time I worked abs but yet wondered what was taking it so long to heal. DUH! :rolleyes:

Everyone is different though!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.