Phew! Silence at last....

wendymin72

Cathlete
Joey has been cranky cranky cranky lately. I don't know what's eatin' him. He's like an angel when we go out...he sleeps the entire time...only up to eat and we have to wake him! But when he is home he has been a bear! Crying loud and hysterical more often than not! Keeps me up at night and keeps me from getting things done around the house (or napping!) during the day! I hope this passes. He wasn't this bad in the beginning. He was cranky all day long today. He got up at 8 and cried on and off all day until maybe an hour ago when he finally settled down and fell asleep. He didn't sleep but an hour or 2 all day until now. I can only hope that he will be too tired to cry tonight when it's time for bed and will sleep good for me...if not, I don't know what I'll do!? :-( x( ;(

Thanks for letting a new, nervous and frustrated mom vent! :)

Wendy

I smoked my last cigarette on March 17, 2004 at 10:00 pm!

Baby Joey born May 14, 2005 11:19 pm 7 pounds 12 oz 21 inches long.

05/28/05 Check out new album "Me pre and post pregnancy" just added! http://www.PictureTrail.com/wendymin

Hi Wendy,

I feel your pain. I have been there with my first child. He literally screamed most of the day during the first 6 weeks. It was hard for people to really believe how bad it was. I can only tell you that it passed and he became a totally different baby after that point.

Joey's really too young to think of colic since that's not even diagnosed until 6 weeks. But you may think of talking to your doctor anyway about what might be making him so mad. Sometimes their little tummies or nervous systems are still getting everything figured out shortly after birth.

Also I've found that most babies are better when you go out. They like the change of scenery, motion, different noises, etc. I think my first was literally bored at home (if you can believe that!). Just like you when I went somewhere during the day he was totally fine.

This will likely pass and things will get better. The first 6 weeks, imo are a tough road but thankfully a short one. I promise! Love,Heather

Wendy,

Rylee is doing the same thing today! She is crying for what feels like no reason and won't sleep eventhough she is tired. It's very frustrating. I finally got her to calm down and eat. Now she's being quite. Maybe she'll sleep a lot tonight to make up for today!

imani

Wendy,

Is it possible it is the formula bothering him? i have seen this before and many times it is related to the formula...I wasnt sure if you were still breastfeeding or even mixing it with formula...just a thought...hope he quiets down and sleeps.

Possibly but how would I know?? I am feeding mostly formula right now but hoping this will slowly change and be mostly breast milk eventually...in the meantime do you think I should change my formula to see if it makes a difference in his moods?

Thanks for the input!:)

Wendy

I smoked my last cigarette on March 17, 2004 at 10:00 pm!

Baby Joey born May 14, 2005 11:19 pm 7 pounds 12 oz 21 inches long.

05/28/05 Check out new album "Me pre and post pregnancy" just added! http://www.PictureTrail.com/wendymin

well, I just talked to 2 couples who's babies were allergic to the formula..they had to keep switching to a soy based one...the baby were colicky and would not stop crying..all day long.....it might be worth a shot...I would call the dr just to get his/her opinion before you do it though

I"ve been there too Wendy. I've also heard of certain formulas not agreeing with babies. It wouldn't hurt to look into it.

Hoping today is a better day for both of you!

Basically the honeymoon phase of your new baby is over!! All new babies go through the cranky phase a few weeks after birth, they are adjusting to their new environments and letting YOU know who is boss,LOL!!:eek: :+ It will pass as they get older and realize that while they are all nice and cute that mom and dad really do rule the roost.

As they all say, this too will pass!!:D

This from a mom of 3 boys who none slept through the night til 1 year of age!:eek:

wendy this happened to us with ds also...i switched from the similac with iron to isomil and immediately he calmed down. the first was making him too gassy. i would definitely talk to your dr. and see if that could be a problem. trust me, this will get better...:)

Hi Wendy,

Boy do I feel your pain...my son was really bothered by the similac with iron so I switched him to the soy formula. I saw a change in his behavior within 1 day. My ds doctor said that I should keep him on the iron but I went with my gut feeling and I have to say that I was right. Hope this helps!!!

My little one was only cranky from about her 6th week to her 9th week and I spent many a night walking around the house, singing and rocking her to sleep. It was during her 9th week when she started to sleep all the way through the night. During those 3 weeks she just had trouble getting herself to sleep. Once she found a way to soothe herself to sleep she became a great sleeper and a very happy baby! (Finding her thumb was like finding gold because she never took to pacifiers other than to chew them!) Also, she was and still is easily stimulated and that has an impact on her ability to fall asleep easily.

HI Wendy! I went through the same thing with Andy, and he is just starting to get out of it (thank God!). What's the most annoying is having in-laws/relatives/friends all giving advice and asking what is wrong with the baby. Nothing stressed me out more than having a screaming baby and getting advice on how to deal with it. Then, there were the comments, "he's too cold/hot, hungry, he's spoiled, etc...

I called the dr. about it after a night when Andy was up about 10 times (it seemed like he screamed all night). They said to cut dairy out of my diet, as this sometimes affects babies' digestive systems. I also found that strawberries and onions bothered him too, so I cut those out of my diet as well. I do supplement with formula here and there, and I give him Enfamil Lipil with Iron. He does fine with that, even though it is milk based.

There is a great book out there called "The Happiest Baby on the Block", and it is written by a pediatrician named Harvey Karp. He gives suggestions for calming down a crying baby ("the 5 S's"). They are swaddle, suck (give a pacifier to turn on sucking/calming reflex), sway (back and forth), say "shhhh" in baby's ear-match intensity with intensity of crying, and side hold. I have done all five at a time to help calm Andy at times (they really work!). I also found a sling worked wonders.

He also explains that babies actually should be born in the 4th trimester, not at the end of the 3rd. He said that they are too immature to enter the world, but because of brain size/head size, it would be impossible for them to be born at the end of the 4th trimester. I thought it was interesting.

Hopefully you and Imani will find peace (and soon!!!!). It does get better. I didn't believe it at the time, but it does!
-Jen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.