Pet Injection - suggestions?

HarleysMom

Cathlete
Does anybody know an easy way to give a pet an injection?

My dear german shepherd has been diagnosed with exocrine pancreas insuffiency and I have to give vitamin B12 shots once a week. I did, or should I say he did great with the first one and the second one was "ok". The third time he layed really still for me and once the needle was in, he jumped up. He just stood there which was a good thing, but when I started to push the syringe, he let out a little whine. The next time was the same thing and of course I felt very bad....now I don't want to and don't like to give them!!!!!:(

Any suggestions on where you give your pets injection? The vet suggests in the waist area - that worked the first time! I've been alternating between above his shoulder and the waist......

Has anybody had an experience in this area?

Last edited:
I've never done it and don't think I'd want to, but I've noticed my vet pulls the skin away from the animals and then administers their shots into the loose skin and they don't seem to feel it.

Do you have to put it directly into the muscle? We've got a vet and at least one vet assistant on board here. I'm sure they'll give good advice.

We self vaccinate our dogs. My husband is actually the one to give th shot because I don't have the heart to do it. I usually hold their head giving them a biscuit while he does it. Do you have someone to help you? To distract him. DH pulls the skin up from between their shoulders & puts it in there. Since you have to give it weekly I guess you shuld be alternating sights. Plus he's going to get to know whatyou're up to. What does your vet say?
Poor guy. I hope it all works out for you. Good luck

It depends on what kind of injection it is.
I don't do intramuscular or intravenous, but I'm a pro at subcutaneous (I recently gave one of my cats his booster shots instead of the vet, because he freaks out so much when he goes there, and the vet knows I can do this kind of stuff--I gave insulin injections to one of my cats for 5 years!)

On cats (dogs may be different), the easiest place to do it (and where I always/only do it) is at the scruff of the neck. There is loose skin there (usually--I have one cat, Bobsie, with 'no freakin' neck'! and I'd hate to try to give her a shot!), and fewer nerves, so the cat doesn't feel it much.

First, stat petting the cat, then start to knead the area a bit--like a massage--to desensitize him/her even more. Then pick up the skin to make a 'tent' (grab both sides of the neck and pinch up) and inject 'in the tent'. Make sure the injection goes the long way, otherwise you could end up with the needle coming out the other side, and wasting most of the medication.

HTH!

I give my elderly Eskie Insulin shots twice a day, so I've become quite good at it. But the insulin shots do not have to go into muscle. I simply pull up the skin around her neck and slide the needle under the skin and depress. Kimo comes running when it's shot time, so I don't think they hurt too much.

I had a diabetic cat - I would give her shots in either the scruff of the neck, or in her hindquarters. As others have said, pull up the skin and away you go. Try to be quick, too, and then give the area a little rub. I hated having to do it, though.

The vet didn't instruct you on how to properly give injections? Geez, I have a one-on-one tutorial with my client doing a trial run with a saline injection before sending them on their way.

That being said, previous posters are correct. You want to "tent" the skin and then inject into that. I always aspirate or pull the plunger back to be sure you don't get blood, and if not, then depress the plunger. It's best to be quick and also distract your dog while doing it , and then praise with a special treat afterwards (with something his pancreas can digest, of course ;)) This is how to give subq, or subcutaneous, injections. Over the hip area or waist area is fine as is the area in between the shoulder blades.

Intra-muscular injections are another ball of wax - I don't usually have clients do these unless they are a nurse or in the medical field or have experience giving injections in this manner.

Heidi

Thanks to everybody, it is sincerely appreciated!

I think from reading your responses, I may be "hesitating" a little since I've heard him whine...he's just a tad spoiled ..... knowing what I'm doing, he'll act like a baby!

How do you know the needle went into the skin when you perform the "tent"?

He goes to a homeopath and she did ask me if I'd ever given an injection before and I had...but only once and it didn't seem that bad .... I just don't like doing it - but I will, ya know?

I believe you're right too in that I need my dh to hold him! I give him a frozen kong and try to give him the shot while laying down.

Again, I thank you all very much....just hearing your stories and suggestions have helped tremendously!:)

Well, you'll know it went into the skin because you'll see the needle disappear into his skin:p...I don't know how to explain it other than you will either go into the right subcutaneous space or you'll just pierce the skin on the other side of the tent and then all your b12 will just run out through the other side onto his fur. Just make sure you angle the needle parallel to his body and go in parallel to him, not perpendicular to him...

It really is harder to explain than to perform - sorry!

Heidi

Thanks Heidi! Now...where do you live....I have a job for ya!:D

I just need to put on my big girl panties and go for it w/no hesitation. Sometimes Harley is too smart for his own good. He has never made it easy on me....ever!:eek:

I have to go to my vet for his annual - I'll get an on-site demonstration! Again, thanks for all your help in trying to explain it to me. I get it, it's just hard to do something when you can't "see" what you're doing!!!:D

I have to give my cat a Ringer's Lactate subcutaneous IV-Type injection a couple of times a week. I pinch the area between her shoulder blades, drawing out loose skin and then very quickly jab the needle in. It takes about 15 minutes each time and I pet her throughout to keep her patient and calm. She's a very good patient and purrs, but hates it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.