personal training

Is it worth it? I mean, I know how to use the machines and I know what to do with the dumbells, balls, bands, steps, etc etc. Would I learn anything I wouldn't know or get results I wouldn't get from doing Cathe workouts at home? What do you guys think?

I just completed 5 sessions with a personal trainer. I have been working out for about 4 years and thought that it would be beneficial to work with someone to help me change things up to improve results. Before I signed up with the trainer, I watched them work out with their other clients. It took me a long time time to find a trainer that I thought was worthy of my money because a lot of the trainers looked like they needed to be trained themselves.

I met with my trainer after speaking with her on the telephone for about 1 hour. She wanted to know my history, etc. Then, I went in for an assessment, she reviewed my form (which she said was great) and then, designed some workouts that would challenge me. Boy, did they. When we worked legs, I went home and weighed myself. I lost 3 lbs of sweat.

A few training sessions might help spark some changes in your routine, correct your form, add new exercises, etc. I think the money was well spent with my sessions.

Tamikka
http://www.geocities.com/mikkame77/weight_loss1

Hmmm...
No, I don't really think you will learn anything new...maybe how to do REAL deadlifts, but a trainer can really kick your butt. I never thought so, coming off of Cathe, but my trainer did. His workouts completely wiped me. Many of the exercises I DID NOT do at home with Cathe....pullups, lat pulldown, tricep press...etc. I was a hurtin' unit!

BUT....if you don't have enough $$ to afford enough sessions to really see results, I would not do it. I just used up the last of my hubby's sessions and he saw really good results. If you can afford it, it is very much worth it with the right trainer!! I found myself critiquing everything they did though, with my knowlege of working out from Cathe!:)

Janice

IMHO, a personal trainer can be of real value, but you have to have someone who is qualified to train! The personal training occupation is still somewhat of a gaslight thing; there are no standardized qualifications you have to meet, and you may land on someone with a zillion mickey-mouse "certifications" that may only mean that person went to a workshop and passed a test.

If I were searching for a trainer myself, given my own level of knowledge, I would work with someone who has at least an undergraduate degree in exercise science, preferably a master's, as well as certification from ACE, ACSM, NASM or NSCA. I would also interview the trainer extensively to make sure s/he and I are on the same page as far as philosophy of exercise and fitness. I would run like the wind from someone who tries to push a prefab protocol (I guess the "SuperSlow" thing comes to mind) OR supplements and/or a radical nutrition scheme. (Trainers should NOT be giving nutritional advice.)

JMHO -

A-Jock

For me, it was absolutely worth it! I played around with the idea of getting a trainer for a few years, but always changed my mind because I thought I already knew so much about working out. Also, I didn't like the approach of a lot of trainers I watched at the gym. I simply do not care for the bootcamp-type yell-at-your-client style of training. And then there was the cost. I didn't want to pay for a "glorified spotter" :)

BUT -- when I switched gyms in November of 2002 and realized that I was in a real rut -- I decided to try a trainer for a change. I only signed up for a month of training (1 time per week) at first to get a feel for whether I wanted to continue and so I wouldn't have to shell out a bunch of dough. I had watched this trainer with other people and he apparently knew what he was doing (safety is my #1 concern) and he also has a BS in Exercise Physiology.

I noticed a lot of changes in my body almost immediately because he pushed me to work harder than I would on my own. I lifted a LOT heavier with all exercises (especially legs). Even though he didn't really teach me much about exercise or training -- the motivation was well worth the money. A nice side-benefit is that I met quite a few people at the gym through him. I used to be the type to go in, do my workout at lunchtime, and then leave without talking to a single person. But he kind-of brought a social side out of me and, although I'm not there to socialize, it is nice to meet new people and to feel a comaraderie with the lunch-time regulars.

He also inspired me to become a trainer myself. I had never considered fitness as a career until talking with him and seeing that a person can make a decent living as a trainer. I got my certification from the Cooper Institute in April and got re-certified by AFAA. I'm teaching classes now and am currently looking for clients to train (while also holding down my full-time engineering job).

So...for me, there were a LOT of benefits to getting a trainer. I think you should try it! If you don't like it after a couple of months...you can find a different trainer or go back to working out on your own.

Good luck!

Shonie

What I got out of my personal training sessions was this: I was capable of working out a lot harder than I ever thought possible. I took that to my home workouts and that's when I started to see real progress. Worth every penny I spent.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.