personal trainers

Lynnne

Cathlete
Can anyone recommend internet based personal trainers? someone who'd provide a nutrition program and workout routine by email and internet?

There's one I can tell you to stay away from and that's Take Action Fitness--the guy is qualified but overpriced and doesn't follow through on what he says he'll do.

I spent quite a bit of time researching this and one I think that looks very good and reasonably priced, but haven't tried is www.workoutsforyou.com. This seems like the best value for your money. I didn't try it because I found Cathe!

Good luck!

Staci

What about Francine, who is a member here? I am sure someone can point you to her. I don't have her contact info.
Trevor :)

Maribeth Salge:

Certified personal trainer
Licensed physical therapist
Master's degree in exercise physiology
Writer of fitness articles and exam questions
Co-owner of a clinic / training facility in central Florida.

[email protected]

A-JOck

Hey Trevor!

Hi Trevor She hasn't been around lately. I even email her about 2 weeks ago and haven't heard from her. I hope she is ok. Im thinking of giving her a call to see how she is.

Good thought Annette. Maribeth is very informative and really good. I think I hacked her off with my opinion on topics other than fitness but I still respect her quite alot and she definitely knows her exercise science.

RE: Hey Trevor!

Hey Barb!
I haven't heard from her in ages either. Tell her I said hi if you call her....

Another great website is www.stumptuous.com from Krista Scott-Dixon.
She writes fitness articles and gives really good advice regarding women and training. With all the information out there you may be able to train yourself without having to rely on a personal trainer, especially without hands-on help. HTH.

Hi Lynne! Go to nasm.org & click on "find a practitioner." It will give you a list of all the PT's in your area. I'm sure you'll be able to email one of them. Good luck! HTH, Kathy:D

I'd like to add.....

that you should be careful who you choose and be very selective. Anyone can obtain certifications to the hilt since they are so easy to get and the coursework isn't difficult. One thing I was told is to give them a little test by asking them if they know the different muscle fiber types and how to train them. If they don't know this basic question then they aren't worth anything to you.
Just my two cents.

Trev, you didn't hack me off--I love a good debate! I've just been wicked busy with our new clinic and haven't had the time to log on much lately.

Comment on the Mistress Krista website--she and I did a little e-mailing for a bit, primarily because of some misinformation she was relaying to people on another BB I visit occasionally. Her knowledge of anatomy and biomechanics was lacking--specifically with regard to the knee--to the point that following the recommendations could be risky for those with orthopaedic concerns.

Bottom line with any type of exercise instruction is that if the person doing the instructing doesn't understand that the program has to be tailored to the unique needs of the individual, the program won't yield optimal results.
Maribeth

Maribeth!

Just want to say how nice it is to see you "back", if only briefly. :) Come see us more often!

Hey, quick question about www.stumptuous.com -- Would I be correct in my gut-level feeling that the way she recommends doing squats (deep-knee bends to way below 90 degrees) is likely to be dangerous to a person like me with wonky knees? (I haven't tried it -- I even feel, with nothing to back this up but layperson's gut, that for a person with healthy knees that kind of squat is probably bad news.)

Just interested in your educated opinion. I always find your approach to be judicious and thoroughly knowledgeable. :)

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif Kathy S. http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/spezial/spudniks/spudniklifter.gif

RE: Maribeth!

Hey, Kathy,
There are two concerns with squats below 90 degrees--the first is that at 90 degrees and deeper, all 4 of the major tibiofemoral ligaments are slackened, meaning that the tibiofemoral joint is less stable. Under a load, at this depth, any bobble can spell trouble for the meniscus.

The second concern is for people with patellofemoral problems--the deeper the squat, the greater the compressive forces on this joint. For someone like me, with both malalignment and degenerative changes in the cartilage, the deep squats are a double whammy--the compression is really painful, and the pain alters my quad firing, meaning that my tracking is really off, leading to further damage to the back side of my kneecaps.

For people with no meniscus or patellar problems, deep squats, if not done excessively, are probably fine. However, contrary to Krista's statements, they are NOT appropriate for everybody, nor will everybody's problems with deep squats be alleviated by doing them.

I will try to get back more often!
Maribeth
:)

Don't bother asking about muscle fibers....

That's one of the VERY basics almost all training for trainers teaches (I was getting my cert, Trev,--long story another topic or email & it's in CHAPTER 1 of the ACE book).

You must know more in depth questions than that to ask. If you have been reading here or almost any decent fitness bulletin board for any period of time & are looking for a trainer, you will know the questions to ask.

For example, I met with a trainer a few weeks ago & RAN out of that session because she didn't know that women can lift heavy & not bulk up. She told me to reduce my weights on my squats because doing 60 lb squats would "blow my knees." Ok, NOT. Now doing 60 lb squats with bad form would. If she had said that, I might have played with her.

You want a trainer to train YOU not some "model theory" she/he has learned through a book or 2 day course.

RE: Don't bother asking about muscle fibers....

Good points Deb! It's a basic question but I bet you'd be surprised how many don't know it.
My god, I bet 90% of the people I see daily in the club, some of them "lifestyle consultants" who sell memberships, don't seem to know what the hell they are doing. I will say that the trainers at the club I go to seem pretty good. They weeded out the bad ones a while back and this core group that they have now are really good.

RE: Hey Trevor!

HI Barbara,

Definitely keep us updated on that if you don't mind. I've only been on the boards for 3 months or so, but I remember that Francine used to post more often and was so sweet and always had great info. Hope she's okay.

Gina

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.