Personal Question

Hi,

I have a question about my period. Hope you all can give me some info. About a week and a half ago I was ovulating (I think)and I spotted a little. It was on and off never heavy enough to wear anything. Now it is kind of doing it again along with breast tenderness. Which now it is almost time for me to start. Is this normal? I just had my pap in November and it was normal. I also had blood tests around then and all was normal. My regular doc did that so I don't know if hormone levels were done. This happened like a year ago and not since then. I am 43, which I know may add to the equation. Thanks for any help.

Sometimes women get mid cycle spotting - assuming you're not on any hormones, it could just be a normal flux in hormones - and with the addtional symptoms, you're estrogen may be surging...Odd things like that start happening in your 40's.....me, I get night sweats now.....all in the cycle of life.....if it continues or has an odor, they might ultrasound your uterus and ovaries just to be safe, but overwhelming odds, its nothing....

Have you recently gone of birth control pills or changed pills? If so, it may just be your body adjusting (speaking from recent experience). I always get breast tenderness during that time of month too, so I'd say that's normal. But you know your body better than anyone, so if you have any inclination that something is off, I'd talk to your doc and insist she run a few more tests -- just for peace of mind.

Hi Roselyn. I had my last child at age 40 - now 44. At that time I had my tubes tied. Shortly after that I began much more noticeable ovulation. Actually my "PMS" issues now come more at the time of ovulation than TTOM. I also started to "spot" exactly as you describe. At my next annual check up I said to my Doc - "is my mid-cycle light spotting a function of age or my tubal ligation?" His response -- "neither, let's do a biopsy." OMG - could have knocked me over with a feather. I did all sorts of reserach and totally freaked myself out. Now I know docs are always concerned these days about lawsuits, and my doc is very conservative, but I made myself nuts in those few weeks between conversation and test followed by results. Everything was completely normal, BUT the doc had to run that biopsy just to be certain. So chances are it's nothing - BUT I agree that you should insist on some tests to be certain. Good luck honey.

Lorrie

www.picturetrail.com/lsass

I'm 44 and for the last few years my period was irregular after a lifetime of being able to set my clock by it. Turns out I had fibroid tumors which are very common (like 85% of women get them). My doc put me on the pill and all is well.

I called my doc and he wants to see me. I am going monday. His nurse said he would examine me and see what is up and possibly I may even need a d & c. Ok, that freaked me out. Because I am a worrier anyway, and on medication for anxiety so I am thinking cancers. The spotting was never enough to see on my underwear just sometimes after going to the bathroom. And like I mentioned earlier my actual period is getting ready to show up. So, that is where this all stands right now. As before, any info is much appreciated. It is great to be able to hear from others who have had this.

Roselyn - I'm telling you your situation or "symptoms" are exactly like mine were. And when my doc did the biopsy and I researched (of course via internet) it said anything from nothing to stage 3 uterine cancer.

I think it is only natural to worry, but just be happy your doc is seeing you and you'll get it addressed. I know exactly what you're going through. Though I'll tell you - I've seen long needles and stuff before. But when I went into that room for the biopsy and saw a really lond handle with scissors on the end - kind of freaked me out. HA! And if you need a D&C - those are not a big deal. Have you ever had one? I had one after a miscarriage. Feel free to P.M. me if you need to chat or vent. <<<Hugs to you>>>

Lorrie

www.picturetrail.com/lsass

Thanks, Lorrie. Yes the internet can really freak you out. It says a lot about that this could be hormonal but then there is all the other stuff. So, I will wait until I see my doc and try not to worry too much. I have never had a d & c before, so that unknown was scary too. But, I am not even there yet and thanks for calming some of my concerns.

I will be 42 this July and I had some spotting last year.

Now, I get all the anticipated PMS, but no period.

I didn't even think to worry - I haven't had a check up in over 2 years. I'll be calling my doc tomorrow, but I think I'm going through some "changes."

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.