People's biggest excuses!

RE: Nancy, I agree!

Thanks for your comments, Kathy. I was like you, always wore glasses, always cutting gym whenever I could because I was embarassed of how I looked in a gym suit. Always thought I was too fat to wear one. Always a sedentary bookworm. I was actually asked to leave a class at a health club when I was in college because I couldn't keep up with the rest of the class!

Everything about exercise always made me feel inferior, so I concentrated on things I was better at. It's amazing to me that my main hobby now is working out with Cathe. I enjoy it more than anything, and it's the thing that I always look forward to. Just like you, I have bad weeks, and even months, but I always come back more motivated than ever! Although my male-centric father would disagree that what I do is a real sport, I think I finally have a sport that I can call my own.

Thanks again Kathy!

I'm just speaking for myself here, but I never realized that you have to be consistent to make an exercise program work. A big "duh," I know. I'd play at it here or there, take a class at the "Y," do a fitness video, play a little racquetball, etc. It just took a long time for it to sink in to me that you have to make exercise a regular part of you routine. I didn't see results, so I thought, "why bother."

In addition, I hadn't found anything I liked yet. At first, the exercise I love now, cycling, didn't do that much for me, to be honest. I stuck with it because I had to do SOMETHING! (I was nearly 300 pounds). Eventually, I realized that I really only hated the first couple of miles. Of course, I had to ride farther than a couple of miles to figure that out, and that took a while to work up to.

It was a good year or more before I realized I didn't hate cycling anymore. It was another six months before I started to actually like it. And I can't say that I really got addicted to cycling until I'd been riding a good two years.

Once I saw the benefits of regular exercise, though, I did start adding other types of exercise like weights, running, step aerobics, rebounding, etc. And now, finally, I don't feel like I want to just chuck it anymore. Making exercise a part of my routine was a little like quitting smoking, to be honest. It was a long time before the temptation went away. With smoking, the temptation is obvious and active. With exercise, though, it isn't. The temptation is simply to STOP doing something. That's passive, and that makes it even harder to stick with, I think.

I guess most people just never stick it out long enough to get to the point where exercise is just a necessary part of their lives. I probably wouldn't have either if I hadn't been sick and desperate enough to actually do something to reclaim my life.

Shari

oNe of my co-workers says that she is to fat to run.She would love to run but she thinks that people would be looking at her so she doesn't do anything.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.