Pentagenerians & Beyond: W/B 6/6

Traildoggie

Cathlete
good morning.

Carolyn that sounds good without the bacon. one of those ingredients that overwhelms everything. I think ww pasta has more flavor than white pasta. I have a box of crimini mushrooms to use so will give it a try this week. I used to subscribe to fine cooking but the general fat content of their recipes was so over the top... I dropped it. I went for a year subscription and never found anything without major adjustment. I will modify but at some point you wonder what you pay for if you need to change everything. then they ran a product rating on peanut butter and picked as "best" a peanut butter I thought was inedible ( Jif or Skippy) and rated my favorite one ( Adams) poorly. I decided right there that they NO taste and never looked at it again. I love love peanut butter, a favorite food. peanuts and salt. sweetened PB is horrid. IMO of course!

I'm proud of the lettuce I grew this year. I have grown several varieties and they are beautiful and tasty. I transplanted a load of new baby plants yesterday. some on our deck, others in the main garden. I love the dark red/ green varieties with different leaf shapes.

Day off yesterday. its cold and wet, mid 40's. rained a lot yesterday. cathy those temps are rough for me, especially if they come with mid west humidity. at least when we get hot here, its usually dry air. not AZ dry, but not overly humid.. I gave up on cardio party for the season. I have that step tutorial but once weather gets better I do mostly outdoor things and lose my motivation.

I like tofu, don't love it, but use it regularly. DH is less happy with it. he gets suspicious everything he has eaten caused a migraine. he got an oral appliance ( expensive device but works) for sleep apnea and has had way fewer headaches so it probably had nothing to do with any food. he liked to blame tofu and soy products but I think he's so-so about tofu and picked it to blame.

of all beans, I like chick peas the least. I probably won't try pasta made from them. Ive settled with ww Barilla pasta. I like hummus and use chickpeas in salads but I probably feel about them like you feel about tofu. edible, OK, but not thrilled.

Last edited:
Good afternoon Ladies. This morning I did Ellen Barrett’s 15 Minute Quick Cardio. It’s a light cardio with a lot of stretching moves. Ellen’s typical fusion workout. Other than that, it’s a rest day for me.

Cathy, great job with Bun Burners on the Ball. I haven’t used tofu in years—maybe 30 years. There is so much uncertainty around soy products and how they might affect people with thyroid conditions that I avoid them. I use a bit of soy sauce but nothing else. I didn’t like tofu enough to worry about it.

Diane Sue, nice job with the CDorner workouts. That method of using the pasta water to help create a sauce is one that I like.

Valerie, I never subscribed to Fine Cooking, but would pick up a copy at the store if something caught my eye. I soon realized that I have quite a collection going back to 2015. I like the red and green lettuce varieties that you described, although I will mix it up and try others from time to time.

Hello to Deb and Judy.

Today is a rest day as usual. I made another recipe for a roasted vegetable macaroni and cheese tonight. I wish I did not make the whole recipe. I think I accidentally grabbed the vanilla macadamia milk for the non dairy cheese sauce. Plus it called for cashew or oat milk. I also subbed chickpea pasta for regular rigatoni, a different brand than before, and this one has a weird texture, which I suspected when I put it in the boiling water and the water turned cloudy right away. I cooked it al dente, but it did not help much. Maybe I will put more hot sauce in it as they called for that and I used a Tablespoon of Franks red sauce. It is only okay the way I made it.

Carolyn, I have always been a bit worried about eating much soy products. They watch my thyroid as it is as there is a nodule there. I did make tempeh quite a bit from organic soybeans that I prepared from dried. That was about 8 years ago though. Since my church is half an hour drive now I keep missing out on those short Sunday morning yoga and stretch workouts I like to do.

Valerie, my favorites as far as beans is chick, lima beans, black beans. Weird, but my husband does not like those, but likes pinto beans and white beans. I guess we all have different tastes. I read an article recently about toxins in nut butters and particularly peanut butter. It was saying the best thing is to get a major brand that does not have additives and eat it sparingly. The thing is they were saying nut butters were worse than just eating a few nuts. I get tired of those articles, as if I believed every one, I would not have much left to eat. I usually buy organic peanut butter without sugar and salt added. Most of the time lately it is 365 Whole Foods Brand. Otherwise I use almond butter or Nutzo Power Fuel which seems to have better quality ratios of healthier fats than others.

I think peanuts in particular develop aflatoxins( if my memory is working right) that are results of mold on peanuts and have toxic qualities. we have to assume companies enforce rules to keep food safe and don't use spoiled foods. all the tofu talk... so I made tofu tonight. its browned with breadcrumbs to make it crispy and goes over pasta with marinara sauce and sauteed mushrooms. a sprinkle of fresh basil and cheese on top. its good and it's easy. I have several tofu dinner recipes so we have it every other week or so. I like it in stir fry with asparagus too. I dont like to overuse any foods so its just part of a casual rotation for dinner. I like that its ready to use, doesn't need to defrost, can take on many different flavors so it can be asian, mexican, italian, etc.

I always buy PB with salt. Adams chunky style . its really hard to mix in salt and get it spread out evenly. you end up with too salty parts, and zero salt parts of the jar. I go for fresh peanut flavor and PB absolutely should not be sweetened. Ugh. I don't eat a lot of it but I absolutely love it. I like tempeh too but its been hard to find the last few years. I haven't yet gotten to the natural foods store with the spices were talked about last week, but I'm hoping they will have tempeh.

that is so funny I'm so-so on chickpeas, dislike lima beans. love black beans and pinto beans.

did Pyramid pump upper today and the ab workout.

Last edited:
Today I did IMAX 4, combos 1-8 and the Extended Chair Stretch. My time was 51 minutes with 281 calories burned. Average heart rate was 121 and maximum heart rate was 157. I haven’t done this IMAX many times and I am still learning the moves.

Diane Sue, I’m sorry that your pasta dish didn’t come out the way that you wanted. I had that experience with some scallops that I cooked last week. My husband didn’t complain, but I could tell that he didn’t care for them. The scallops were a little damp and didn’t brown as they should have.

Valerie, nice job with Pyramid Pump Upper Body and Abs. As far as beans go, I love pinto beans and black beans best, but I like most varieties. Chickpeas are probably my least favorite unless I make hummus. I usually cook them into some kind of recipe rather than just having plain beans. I didn’t think that I liked Lima beans (based on childhood memories), but I have discovered that they can be quite tasty. I have a bag of Christmas Limas that I hope to try soon. I’ve never had them. Rancho Gordo has really expanded my bean consumption. Their beans are so much fresher and more flavorful than what I was getting in the stores.

Hello to Judy, Cathy, and Deb. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Today I did C Dorner Aerobics by the Pool, 42 minutes, heart rate 147/177, 4,421 steps, 261 calories. This was basic-intermediate step, fast. It was kind of fun and easy to follow moves. She used hip hop type music and had two other women workout with her. I think she was half way through till she took off her sunglasses. I then started a few minutes of an older dance workout and decided I did not want to do it, so kept going with her No Equipment 18 minute core workout, 72 calories, and finished with mobility relaxing for flexibility last routine, heart rate 72/91, 41 calories, 32 minutes. Core and mobility and that bit of dance was 780 steps. I didn't stop to check between workouts. Total time was 1 hour 40 minutes, 374 calories, 5,201 steps. Chris almost always has plank work in her core and abs workouts. Today I thought, yeah she is starting standing, and it started with balancing , but then did walk outs on the hands and back up. There were some plank moves, but I did them on my forearms. My right shoulder hurts and keeps feeling like something catches at a certain point so during mobility I had to limit some of the range of my arm going back.
I was going to go to the Dollar General today, but by the time I finished my workout and hair color, I just did not want to go out. Tomorrow and Wednesday I will be getting up and going out. Maybe tomorrow I will stop at the store. Wednesday I am pretty sure after the drive and 2 and a half hour wait at the Heart Hospital I won't want to go to the store, I will want to make the trek back home asap.

Valerie, there are other things like coffee beans that have toxins and often mold in them. I guess we just have to pretty much be careful of ingesting too much of one thing and hope that our government is making sure food is safe. I would say trust, but my trust meter is not big on that sort of thing. Not when money is more important that safety a lot of the time. Then I hate all of the scare tactics used to sell another product. I need to make that quinoa salad from this cookbook again. I used extra asparagus in it last time and still have some I need to use. I was surprised that I liked it when it was at least steamed. It gave a nice crispness to the salad. I was just thinking that I got a green salad at La Baguette once that was really good and had asparagus and white potato (potato cooked) diced into it. When I was a child my mother used to cook up pots of the larger butter beans and I always liked those. Nice work on Pyramid Pump Upper Body.

Carolyn, nice work on I Max 4 today. I would hate to have a scallop dish not turn out well. I love good scallops and they are rather costly. Somewhere I have a recipe for black bean hummus that I have made quite a bit. I love it with some extra olive oil and sundried tomatoes when I make my own. I should make some. I have tahini here. I used to make a popular soup recipe from Oxygen magazine that has some lima beans and granny smith apple it. Anyone I have made it for loved it. Even the children.

Last edited:
I thought we could ride today but weather was nice for 15 minutes and then raining, back and forth much of the day. so I did rev'd up rumble and some push ups and that was it. planted some more seeds, weeded a bit. trying to stagger my crops so they don't all get ripe at the same moment.

I have never had black bean hummus but if you dig up the recipe, could you post it? I love salads with asparagus and potatoes. I like all the textures together.

I dont totally trust companies to do the right thing all the time but I think most of the time they do. maybe I'm a hopeless optimist. there is a huge amount of money for them to lose if they sell a bad product and someone gets seriously ill or dies, so even if they aren't complying for good "moral" reasons, they comply for practical, monetary ones. it must cost them a lot if they get sued or a fouled product needs to be recalled.

Today I did ICE Chiseled Upper Body for 44 minutes and 154 calories burned. Average heart rate was 104 and maximum heart rate was 147.

Diane Sue, nice work with CDORNER Aerobics By the Pool, No Equipment Core, and Mobility. I don’t like to run errands after a long medical appointment. I can only think about getting home. I just made the oregano oil and it is cooling. I only made half the amount of the recipe, but I can already tell that I will like using it as a drizzle on vegetables.

Valerie, that’s too bad that rain ruined your plan for a ride. We have rainy weather too and the air is so humid. I agree about companies trying to do the right thing since mistakes can really effect sales. Business decisions are made by people, some with good motivations and others, not so much.

Have a great day everyone.

We got the ride in today instead. we usually ride for about 2-2.5 hours so we need better weather than yesterday. today was great. cooler than last week so I do much better. I ride faster and enjoy it so much more. 2 hrs 5 minutes, 26 miles. its funny because the overall riding time doesn't vary much at all on a day it feels fast versus a day I feel like its a struggle.

carolyn yes my thoughts exactly. doing the right things even for the wrong reasons still is Ok. people are in business to make money. cutting corners can definitely have a negative impact on the bottom line. .

got our first peaches! california I think. love them! probably not as good as Georgia peaches, but they will do. growing peaches here in western WA is close to impossible. it can be done but its not warm enough and the trees can all kinds of fungal diseases and need a huge amount of chemical preventives.

I made quesadillas yesterday. a little left over chicken, sluiced peaches and pepper jack cheese on a tortilla browned in a skillet. so simple and so good. exceeded my points a little by using generous cheese. I dont go over points because of junk food, but I do love cheese and that is a control issue for me. .

So, I’m in Cincinnati. It’s called life with Derek. LOL mid-morning yesterday we decided to do a three day trip to the zoos here and in Columbus. So, I ended up shopping yesterday afternoon, and we left this morning. The cicadas are here! As soon as we got up the car it was so loud! The zoo had said they have them so we’ll be hearing them most of the day tomorrow.

Last few days are are kind of a blur. Sunday I did kickboxing, but at this point I can’t say for sure which one. Yesterday was P30 High Impact Hiit, or at least the first 20 minutes of it. 1) it’s far from my favorite workout and 2) it was just nasty humid and all those burpee versions were killing me, so I did a quick switch to the low impact one for the last 10 minutes. That one I really like.

DH and I have separate peanut butters. I use ones with only peanuts, and I’m quite fine with having to stir. He hates to deal with the oil and so I have to get him the no stir ones that have added oil and sometimes sugar. I really don’t get removing the peanut oil, and adding palm oil. While we eat some of the same foods, his cupboard is full of convenience foods, because he doesn’t like. Lot of what I make. That’s fine-more for me!

Carolyn I went back and printed that recipe you posted. want to try it this week. I need more shallots and parsley.

cathy I agree on PB. only the plain peanut one. if you mix the oil in and then refrigerate it, it doesn't separate again so its a one time deal. I dont like the process much. before I open a jar I flip the jar up and down over a day or two to get the oil kinda sorta off the top. I use a butter knife to plunge up and down and that works pretty well. after opening, plain PB should be refrigerated anyway. tough if you cant agree on food!. DH mostly eats what I make, since he hates to cook and is terrible at it. I have to leave out any "heat" and add it to my portion only. that is a big area of disagreement. I like heat!

I have never heard a cicada before. know about them, but to my knowledge never heard them. nasty humidity with heat will sure kill the workout in a big hurry. I cannot function at all. I left the midwest in 1969 or so to get away from the weather and never missed it one tiny bit. its not arid dry here, but never do we get any humidity at that level. can I mention again how much I hate florida? aargh. I hated every minute there.

Today I did Cardio Quick Fix, Workout One, which was 25 minutes and 191 calories burned. My average heart rate was 134 and maximum heart rate was 158. I went to Costco after my workout. When I came home the landscapers were here and they accidentally cut a line to the irrigation system. Water was going everywhere! Fortunately we were able to turn off the water to that line quickly. They will have the repair person come out to fix it.

Cathy, that’s great that you were able to make the trip to Cincinnati on the spur of the moment. My brain would never let me do that . I would need to plan everything out in advance. My husband, on the other hand, is the spur of the moment person. That caused us some problems early on, but we were able to reconcile our different approaches to life. The cicadas are north of the metro Atlanta area so we have been spared the loud noise. However, people in that area have really been complaining. They were actually calling 911 to report the loud sirens going off! The police department had to ask them to stop calling because the noise was from the cicadas.

Valerie, your quesadillas with the peaches sound delicious. I’ve been eating mine on my salad with chicken, peaches, and blueberries. We have hot weather here, but it’s different in Florida. That’s not a place to visit in the summer! South Louisiana is the same. I grew up in north Louisiana and I thought that I knew hot weather. When I went to college in Baton Rouge I was shocked by the heat and humidity there and how different it felt.

Hello to Judy, Diane Sue, and Deb.

we are back from a mt bike ride 2 hrs 20 minutes. the tree farm is doing a lot of logging and nothing is marked. we got off in some difficult areas with tons of mud and steep places to negotiate. got it done but much harder than planned. had to walk up, barely pushing the bikes. more work than riding.

carolyn there is not actually a recipe for the quesadillas. I use whole wheat larger tortillas. small tortillas work fine too but messier. put cheese, peaches, sliced cooked chicken on the tortilla, fold in half, brown until cheese melts. things like to slide out of the tortilla so a large one helps a little. too bad on the irrigation line. sounds like it will be under control quickly. I definitely have not heard a cicada if it's mistaken for sirens. When I had my sales job, we had national meetings in florida. Miami or Tampa . wasn't summer, usually spring but it was always hot and humid. all the "higher ups" wanted to golf, another thing I absolutely do not do. I am highly allergic to whatever grass is grown on golf courses.
I had a vacation planned to New Orleans when I was in college. I don't remember the name but a big hurricane moved thru shortly we were supposed to go, so we went somewhere else instead. I think my friends went to mexico instead but I thought it would be too hot so I didn't go. air conditioning was not so available back in the '60s, and I could not see vacation as a time to suffer.

I'm in the middle on planning. not as spontaneous as I used to be but still able to "make do" when I need to. DH is the big time planner. he drives me crazy planning out every detail. Im a little more relaxed.

I

Today I started to do the CDorner kickbox but about 5 minutes in I switched. The Donna lady with her cell phone sitting there was annoying me, I skipped through and saw her giving orders into the camera and I went on and did Coffey Fit Raw Cardio Crush, 45 minutes with what I did from the kickbox, heart rate 138/177, 3,057 steps, 243 calories. I probably should have went on to do that kickboxing, but was not in the mood for all that was going on during the workout. I also did Cathe Fit Tower Legs, Glutes, and Core, only using the standing portion of legs, 21 minutes, 67 calories, heart rate 100/124. I never get much from this as you are just standing there moving your legs up and down and out most of the time. I used my Heavy Cathe band for the one part for quads where she suggests you can. Ha, I tried one of my fabric loop bands and could barely move the lightest in the set that I have. I finished with the CDonner and Caitlin Mobility Move and Stretch, which was pretty much what she has done in others and more basic type moves. She got Donna to get in this one for awhile. I was wondering what she was there for with the other work out. That was 30 minutes, 52 calories, heart rate 80/111.
Total time was 96 minutes, 362 calories. I saw when I was done that she was doing a live step workout with Caitlin. I may try that tomorrow.

Last edited:
Valerie, these cicadas aren’t the normal cicadas. They are the ones that only come out every 17 years. I think they are called brood x cicadas. They have been in the news a lot the last few months because it’s a rare occurrence.

Last edited:
I just saw another story on ABC evening news about those cicadas. A driver in Cincinnati crashed his car after some swarmed around and into his car.

17,200 steps today. We were there over 6 hours. LOL A new record. It rained a fair bit, never heavy, but steady a couple times. My umbrella died. At one point, I opened it up and the umbrella part just popped open and the post snapped and the spring fell out. I managed to finagle it until it stopped raining, but the last time I had to take it down to go in a building it got so mangled I couldn't get it back together at all. So, depending on how things go tomorrow, more potential rain, I'll buy a new one.

Yep these are the 17 year cicadas. We have some regular cicadas every year, and these are quite different. I read a really good article on them last night, and I'll see if I can find it again. I've never heard or seen them before as they don't get far enough into Michigan to be where we live. Ann Arbor has had them though.

Carolyn, great job with the Cardio Quick Fix! If it had been a different kind of trip, I would have needed more planning time, I'm a planner, too. But we've done a lot of these 1, 2 day zoo trips. I have a Holiday Inn membership and I use the app to make my reservations on. We also don't have to take much with us. Derek brought the back pack he uses in the zoos and stuff all the rest of his stuff into a small zippered bag that is meant to go inside something else. He's really good at traveling light. I brought a bit more stuff and we also brought all out food for the first day plus all our snacks.

Valerie, that sounds like a very tough ride for sure! Lots more of a workout than usual.

Diane Sue looks like you put together a really great group of workouts!

I've been reading about the cicadas. even caused delays in flights. fascinating! thanks for that link cathy. I now know more than I need to about cicadas! I dont even know what a "normal" cicada is. maybe they dont get over the rockies. I thought they looked more like grasshoppers than they do. we see lots of grasshoppers and mormon crickets in the mountains in season. they are BIG. not so numerous though.

I used to travel light but not anymore. seems I need a lot more "stuff' along than I used to! we usually bring a lot of food with us. we dont find much to eat in restaurants, especially in isolated areas. much easier to bring your own supplies along.
almost every jacket I have is hooded. I say 'almost" but I don't think I own one. usually rain here is not that hard so a hood is always there, flip it up and you're covered. I don't remember using an umbrella. people hike with them buy attaching them to their packs somehow.
cathy that is great you can travel with and get along so well with your son. I cant imagine anything like that. my family was extremely dysfunctional.

No workout for me today. We had my husband’s neurological appointment today and needed to leave home at 8:30. Between the appointment and a stop at Sprouts which is near that office, we were gone all morning.

Cathy, great job with that zoo visit. That’s a lot of steps!

Hello to Valerie, Judy, Diane Sue, and Deb.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.