Pentagenerians & Beyond: W/B 6/13

Today I did PHA 2 + the Extended Stretch. My time was 65 minutes with 214 calories burned. My average heart rate was 108 and maximum heart rate was 142.

Cathy, it’s so frustrating to have technical issues when trying to workout. That’s one of the things that caused me to not renew my Cathe Live. I just want to get on with my workout. That’s good that you had an alternative with IMAX 3 and Step Boss Abs. That’s a nice surprise that you have planned for your son‘s birthday. Thanks for the link to the Commit30 journal. It looks like a good one to have. I add workout stickers to my Cathe Calendar.

Valerie, using short informal upper body workouts is a great way to fit in everything. The heat out west is unbelievable. I was in Phoenix for a conference one summer and the temperature was 114 degrees! We could only leave the hotel/spa early morning or late evening. I can understand how the fire threat would be a concern.

Hello to Judy and Diane Sue. Deb and Lori, I echo Valerie’s words: we miss you. Please let us know how you are.

Back from our ride. 2 hrs 6 minutes. it was lovely out this morning, perfect temp. a lot of the trail is shade or mixed shade and sun, so its pleasant unless its extremely warm out.

carolyn, I had to go to a wedding in phoenix area a long time ago. it was 117 degrees. it was unbearable. just inhaling the hot air felt harsh. I stayed at a holiday inn and even with the air cranked up as high as it would go, I could not get the room below mid 80's. we went to the mountain lake and cruised around on a big boat for the ceremony. the wedding cake didn't last 15 minutes.. the frosting started melting and falling off in huge clumps, like a glacier calving icebergs.
our cousin who sold his condo and moved to Phoenix last september is already having second thoughts. talking about buying a small place back here in the northwest to get away from the heat. We told him to use his head and rent for a month or two in AZ before deciding on a permanent move, but he didnt. I hate to say "I told you so" but we did tell him and he didn't listen. housing prices have rocketed upward, don't see how he will swing anything like that.

Western WA is not without fire danger although not as dire as California and Oregon. when it burns there, we feel it here because of the smoke, and IMO there will be a continuing exodus of climate change refugees. the smoke goes east so we don't escape it in MT either. there are several fires there already.

Today I did CDonner Step and Strength from yesterday and used 5# dumbbells. She says you can go heavier, but she went light(I am not sure how much but I think around 5# because of her shoulder issue) She mentioned someone else using 10's and said you could go 15's or whatever works for you. It is partly using the step platform as well and I did not need heavy today as my legs and glutes are sore this morning, This was 45 minutes, heart rate 129/163, 216 calories, 3,280 steps. This one does pretty much basic step and stops for some strength moves some using the platform (or weights if desired) for rows, upright rows, squats etc.. She does one set of plank work on each round of strength. I did some of it on my forearms and when she did planks and knees in to the sides, I just did the move standing. She offers suggestions in place of overhead moves.
I then did the Low Impact Cardio that she did today, 43 minutes, heart rate 139/173, 248 calories, 4,262 steps. TOTAL TIME 88 minutes, 456 calories, 7,542 steps.

I guess I did not post yesterday's workout. I did CDorner Legs and Abs Intense at home workout. 59 minutes, 190 calories, heart rate 110/159, 1,094 steps. I also did CDorner 20 minute full body workout stability ball which was mainly abs and lower body hamstrings, so those areas got quite the workout and I can feel it today. The stability ball work was 21 minutes, 57 calories, heart rate 94/111, 236 steps.
Total time was 80 minutes, 247 calories, 1,341 steps.

Cathy, we had so many tanks in our house at one time and it really was quite a job to keep up with them. Saltwater was a bit less work as far as cleaning, as you mainly tested the water and buoyancy so we knew if we needed to ad more of the salt or water to dilute it down. But water changes were not done. We had sea horses that actually had babies, that looked like little specks flopping around in the water. They were picky and we had to raise brine shrimp and feed them baby brine shrimp. The glass on the tank fell out and it killed them so we never started up another tank with sea horses, but they were fascinating to watch. The females plant the eggs in the male pouch and he carries them and births them. Once they are born they have to hide from other creatures that might eat them including the father. The parents have nothing to do with them once they are born. My children and grandchildren always enjoyed the fish and I think that they learned a lot. We had other animals as well. My lop eared bunny Harvey was fun and house broke. Although he had to finally be quarantined to one area with a gate because when my one dog was no longer a pup and also was part lab played to rough. They ran around the house playing for quite some time. Harvey would wake Mudd(our dog up) for the chase. Go figure. It was too bad, but we didn't trust it even though Harvey was not injured, but Mudd had bunny fur in her mouth and my husband said no more. Finally gave Harvey to my granddaughter when we got a replacement great Dane from the breeder that sold our first one that had to be put down because she turned lame and they said by 6 months she would die.
It would be a waste of time to drive if there is not many days for your son. I worry when my children and grandchildren are out travelling in bad weather conditions. I guess that is part of being a parent/grandparent.
I like the looks of your journal. It looks like it would be fun to fill in and use. I usually buy Bloom Planner Agenda Books that have plenty of space to write in my workout details and fill in calendar appointments and stuff. They come with stickers and I can purchase other stickers. The one I got this year has sticky notes and sticky page markers as well as book marks and a marker ruler. I have used these for a long time rather than purchasing just fitness journals that I used to buy. The one you have looks really nice. Does it plan for a year? Some that I used to purchase would last about 3 months and I had to go buy another one.

Valerie, my son drives to Dallas for work from Oklahoma City because he says by the time he went through all of the stuff checking in and getting off the plane and renting a car, he has wasted a lot of time. So, he drives down and has his hotel ready and his own vehicle. He stays down there for business down there and works the stuff here and from home. But, for what is a 3 and a half hour trip by car, it is hardly worth flying.
That is a good idea to do some shorter body part workouts since you do so much cardio type work most days. I am glad that the weather was nice for your ride today.

Carolyn, nice work with PHA 2 and the extended stretch today.

I used to keep a workout list on my cathe calendar but dont do it anymore. I record activity on the WW site, and I record what I've done here at this site, and thats enough. it gets inaccurate so I chucked the third site. a written calendar is good but I'd slack off after a couple weeks. its great, I envy you for following thru.

yes air travel is great until it isn't! when I traveled a lot I always carried everything with me. It was pointless to be there if my supplies didn't get there. I did technical medical equipment installations. that was before most of the restrictions now. there were still all the mechanical and weather delays, so most places less than a 5 hr drive , I drove to. we didnt have all the pre screening that exists now, so it was in some ways easier. still, getting to the airport, parking, checking in, allowing some extra time for when something goes wrong, actual flight, the car rental process.... took a lot of time. it was simpler and more direct to load up the car and drive.

I love the look of fish tanks but not for me.

This morning I did Cardio Slam which was 50 minutes and 343 calories burned. Average heart rate was 129 and maximum heart rate was 149.

Valerie, nice ride yesterday. It sounds like the weather was perfect for it. I record my workouts in my logbook and on SparkPeople. My WW fitness information syncs automatically from my Fitbit and I rarely look at it. SparkPeople is more of a habit than anything since I have been using it for over 11 years. The Cathe calendar with stickers is another small motivational tool for me.

Diane Sue, great job with your CDORNER workouts. We have never had a fish tank. I like looking at them, but never wanted to deal with one. Yours sounds like it will be very elaborate.

Hello to Cathy, Judy, and Deb.

Hi Everyone,

It’s been another busy week. I need to get caught up on posting here. Monday I did ICE Chiseled Lower Body Blast with the Blizzard Blast, Muscle Meltdown Shoulders & Icy Core 2. I’ve been loving Cathe’s older workouts but it was nice to do a “newer” one too. I love the longer ICE premixes for days when I have more time to work out. Tuesday I 50 minutes of Peloton Low Impact rides after work. Wednesday I did a 20 minute run/walk outside then an hour of Peloton rides and yesterday I did a 30 minute Peloton ride and a Peloton upper body workout after work.

Carolyn-That’s great news that your mammogram result was good. Great job with PHA 2 + the Extended Stretch and Cardio Slam.

Valerie-Nice ride yesterday! I don’t think I would want to live in AZ either. It’s too bad your cousin didn’t take your advice about renting first to see if he would like living there.

Diane Sue-Great job with the CDorner workouts!

Cathy-That journal looks really good. I agree with you about flying, especially now. Chris and I will stick with driving for the foreseeable future.

Hi to Deb & Lori

I took the day off today. Garden work and shopping.
Judy my DH really pushed on the “try renting” approach . It's his cousin and they are close but not always sensible. he and his wife got all caught up in the sales pitch, and seemed not to think about what moving there entailed..... 3-4 months of intense heat. Lots of people live in AZ most of the year but leave for the summer. I have a few close friends there for decades. they travel a lot and handled the climate issues by leaving regularly for more comfortable areas.

We are planning on a MT trip leaving early Sunday. Can someone else start the thread??

we are off to do a road ride.

Last edited:
I’m taking the day off today. I wanted to get to the farmers market ahead of the rain this morning. I was able to do that and stop at the store before the rain started. We are in the path of the tropical depression so weather will be ugly for the next few days.

Valerie, I will start the thread tomorrow. I hope that you have a good trip.

Judy, great job with your workouts this week. I enjoy Cathe’s older workouts too, except for the time commitment. The newer ones are good on time, but some of them feel too rushed.

Waving hello to Diane Sue and Cathy. Have a nice afternoon everyone.

We did our road ride this morning 23 miles. forgot to stop my timer but usually takes us 2 hrs 10 min plus or minus a few. it was windier and cloudier than expected. now its all cleared out and sunny.
Carolyn, I will check in while we're driving. we are planning to camp somewhere along the way and mt bike monday morning. we stopped at a farmers market on the way back and got some local strawberries. they are so good! those tropical depressions must be difficult to deal with. we get most of our rain in fall winter and spring, summers are mostly dry. of course that's where the wild fire problem shows up big time.

I agree on the pacing of workouts. older workouts are definitely slower. I find the new ones are pretty intensely paced. perfect pump is an example. I can't switch weights and 'furniture" without the pause button. I don't take a LOT longer but I don't like dumbbells rolling all over the room. I've never tripped over one but I don't want it to happen.

Yesterday I did the Finished Step workout I created and today I did Step Sweat. I canceled my On Demand subscription since I'm planning on starting the 90 day rotation the end of next week and we'll be gone three days up north, so tomorrow's the last day I'll have access. 3 months without that equals the cost of getting the new workouts and bands. :D

So, Derek told me Thursday night that his GF would not becoming as they are no longer a couple. He didn't seem to be overly upset and had apparently felt it was coming. She's not having a good summer and just needs to focus on herself right now. So, being Derek he immediately started scheming to get to another zoo or two this summer. LOL He wants to add the Erie, PA zoo to our Cleveland/Akron trip as it's only two hours from Akron, and he wants to go to Greenbay when I take him back up. It's about 3 hours from Marquette. He won't have a car and no GF to take him. Plus, we aren't going to try to do Fort Worth this year. Those things are definitely cheaper alternatives. He had a good birthday and liked all his stuff.

Valerie, sounds like your ride Thursday was a very good one, and it's a great idea to balance your outdoor activity with short upper body workouts throughout the week. I went to a conference in the Bay Area once and it was fine in the hotel with air conditioning, but when we walked out of the hotel the air was just incredibly stifling. I can't even begin to imagine Arizona heat. Whenever I told people that they'd always rush to assure me that that is not typical weather for the Bay Area, but I definitely don't handle that type of heat well. My sister and her husband moved to FL at least 18 years ago, and for the last 6-8 since their boys got older, they have had first the condo and now the house in the western part of NC, so they miss the worst of the FL heat. Have a safe trip to MT.

Diane Sue, if someone else was taking care of them, I'd have a lot of fish tanks, too! I love to watch them. Having sea horses would be very cool. That's so sad what happened to them. In the realm of pets I don't recommend, prairie dogs. Back before I got married and had kids I was involved in wildlife rehab and we got one in that a kid got caught with in his dorm and the parents wouldn't let him have it at home. I got tired of seeing it in a small cage and took it and built a bigger enclosure in my spare bedroom. Had a bunch of cats at the time and one day I came home from work and he'd escaped. And the cats were running from him! After that he would go in and out and wreaked a great deal of havoc. He even became buddies with the lab mix dog I adopted. I had to repair a lot of trim before I sold that house. He was an entertaining little guy, but very destructive. He kept stealing cat food though and I think that's what led to his death. Prairie dogs are supposed to be herbivores!

Carolyn, I, too, find that the older Cathe workouts seem too long and I agree about the pacing having sped up a lot. If I'm familiar with the workout I'm usually okay, but if it's one I don't do much, I'm scrambling to get my weights. I used to get to the Farmer's Market, but there isn't one near me.

Judy great job with the workouts!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.