Pentagenerians & Beyond: W/B 5/23

Traildoggie

Cathlete
good morning. drove back yesterday. it was snowy again, and multiple crashes on I 90. we were west bound and all were eastbound, so lucky our direction flowed OK. I know its May.... but when it snows you have to slow down, something you'd think truckers would learn. its also very possible people in smaller vehicles do stupid things and don't give trucks time or space to adjust. we saw plenty of stupid moves. by a lot of drivers. the speed limit is 80. when there is snow on the roadway.... its not a good time to see how fast you can go. 11 hrs and a few minutes. cross eyed tired when we got home but unloaded somewhat to get the essentials, and will finish this morning.
light day today. the temps and humidity is so different here it feels like another world. it s so lush and green! and a message from my sister saying she needed "shorts". anything she'd wantr was sold out. found a pair of cargo shorts maybe she will like. just what I didnt want to do was shop this morning.

I need to go back and read the last few days posts.

Last edited:
Good afternoon. Today I did Jane Adams Gentle Yoga Standing Poses: Flowing and Traditional. That was 23 minutes and was a nice short yoga practice.

Cathy, the Toledo zoo sounds like a nice outing. Great job with your blender workouts. It’s nice to be able to create your own workout that way.

Diane Sue, great job with Cardio and Weights cardio premix and the CDORNER workouts. I have seen that Michael Symon cookbook and some of the dishes that he prepared from the book. He is a big time meat guy, but has been changing up his diet a bit due to his RA and some other immune disorder. His wife is a vegetarian and he does some good vegetable dishes.

Valerie, I’m glad that you made it back safely. It’s hard for me to think of snowy weather when we are at 90 degrees this weekend.

Waving hello to Judy and Deb. Have a wonderful day everyone.

Valerie glad you made it safely back home. Sounds like a rough drive. I never cease to be amazed at how people want to drive on bad roads.

Carolyn nice job on the yoga!

This morning I did Live Cardio Boxing with Stability Ball Abs. It's a nice workout though more impact than I care to do.

Today was our family day and it ended up being one birthday celebration as the others were both occupied with work and a trip to Texas. It was a rest day and preparing for family. Also the guy came to pull out the tree and put in the green giant pine we bought. My husband ended up out helping him some with it. He said it was pretty easy since it has been raining and was drizzling today.

Carolyn, I plan on trying a lot more of the recipes in that book. He does have pictures of a lot of recipes. I felt better today, and did pretty well with not eating the junk. I skipped the cake, chips, and baked beans and stuck with a grilled burger and veggies. I always like when I have extra veggies diced up when we are done as I can throw them into a soup or stir fry and they are already chopped. Yes, I read some of the chapters over and that his wife had been vegan for years. I am looking forward to trying more of the recipes. I need to pick up some grape tomatoes as I only have vine ripened tomatoes that are fresh and several of the recipes use the grape tomatoes in them. The others might work, but they would not be as firm in the dish I don't think.

Valerie, there are so many impatient crazy people out there on the roads. I often wonder what their hurry is anyway. Truckers vision around them is not great, but they should know that and take care when driving. People do not seem to realize, like my husband always says, if you cannot see their face in their review mirror, they cannot see you. I always have kept my distance from truckers and cringe passing them. Once we had one just start changing lanes without looking and no signal when we were on the motorcycle. When we finally were able to move around him, he was on a cell phone!!
Glad you made it home safely. Sorry that you had to come home and do shopping for your sister right away.

Cathy, I think I remember doing that workout. You do well with setting up workouts in the workout blender. I do not have much patience for that myself.

Carolyn it was 90 degrees there two days before, when we walked in and out of our backpack. it was HOT. we were descending into a canyon and it got hotter as we went down. whew!! then the climb back out the next day it was still hot. That was what was so confounding about snow so soon after.
The roads were not that bad, especially for people who live with snow and ice a big part of the year, but people were driving badly. You hope road conditions slows drivers but not enough. we dont know the details of any of the crashes we saw so no way to know whose fault. we saw plenty of stupid moves heading westbound. the most common is someone in a regular car or truck doing a fast lane change and not leaving any space for whomever they just cut in front of. a HUGE issue for big trucks! if the surface is slippery, there is not time or space to react.
we are in a truck camper, people like to get around us tho we are not slow drivers. we found it is unsafe to drive in the right hand lane. in less urban areas, people coming down on ramps to merge do not even look to see how to fit into existing traffic flow, but assume there is "room" for them without speeding up or slowing down. it is such a constant problem we keep out of the right lane. this goes contrary to rules of the road I was taught, but something has happened to about 90% of drivers who clearly don't know that as the merging driver, it is THEIR job to fit into the traffic flow by adjusting their speed. I have looked this up before, and rules have not changed. in most areas there is zero, and I mean ZERO, attention paid to how to merge until the last second, if even then.
I haven’t heard of Michael symon before. Will take a look.

Last edited:
Today I did Cardio Party+Extended Stretch one which was 49 minutes and 284 calories burned. My average heart rate was 121 and maximum heart rate was 148. I started my Fitbit on the generic workout setting and for some reason it changed it to “elliptical”. Maybe it was all of the arm movement in Cardio Party . I changed it to the correct category when I recorded my data.

Cathy, nice job with Live Cardio Kickboxing with Stability Ball Abs.

Diane Sue, I’m glad that you had a nice family day, even with a smaller group. I use many of the spices and herbs that Michael Symon recommends, something I have been expanding on for several years. My information has come from different sources, but I have added more cumin, turmeric, ginger, etc. to my cooking. Rebecca Katz, another chef and recipe developer, talks about the culinary pharmacy in her cookbooks and that is my approach.

Valerie, Michael Symon is a chef who is often on the Food Network. He was co-hosting a show called The Chew a few years ago when he did his elimination diet to try to get his autoimmune disorders under control. I have tried and enjoyed a few of his recipes, mostly vegetables.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

carolyn, I have not had access to food network for years. about to change that... I will take a look at him. I like anyone who focuses on vegetable dishes. I love cumin and ginger. not so much turmeric but I don't dislike it. it doesnt come up in things I regularly make. I'm sure its in the Indian dishes I buy already made. The chew sounds familiar but I haven seen it.

I took yesterday off and have been busy shopping and laundry today but will try to squeeze in a weight workout before dinner.

This morning I did Live 40/20 Hiit and followed it up with Step Boss Bonus Abs. That Hiit is a really good one! I'm giving Nick my Instant Pot to take with him to Texas and I'll be either getting a bigger Instant Pot or a combo air fryer/Instant Pot to replace it. So, on his days off, I'm helping him learn how to judge how much to put in and settings etc. He really likes to get creative. Today's was really good, but I likely won't eat all of things as he tends to put some really strange foods together. This is the kid that thought mustard and jelly sandwiches were a good idea. :rolleyes:

Valerie I haven't noticed that so much around here with people not merging properly. But, I do see people do a lot of stupid things.

Diane Sue, I'm glad you were able to enjoy a nice day with those of your family that could make it!

Carolyn great job with Cardio Party and the stretch!

I haven’t been online much but have been trying to keep up with everyone’s posts.
We’ve been working on our home gym for the past week or so. Chris put a 50” Flat screen TV on the wall and I rearranged all my weights and equipment. I love the TV so far and am really enjoying working out with it. It’s like having a new home gym.

Today I did Live #276, All In Upper Body and Perfect Pump Lower Body.

Cathy-Great job with 40/20 Hiit, and Step Boss Bonus Abs.

Carolyn-Great job with Cardio Party+Extended Stretch. Those blogs look very good. I’ll have to check them out.

Valerie-I’m glad you made it home safely. That’s a long trip especially when you have to deal with bad drivers.

Diane Sue-Michael Symon’s cookbook looks really interesting. I hadn’t heard of him but I’m reading about the book on Amazon and I might end up getting it.

Hi to Deb

Today I started with Coffey Fit Raw Cardio Sculpt Overload #2 and did 21 minutes of it, heart rate 137/169,122 calories, 873 steps. I only wore my 4 # vest and was using 1# dumbbells in place of egg weights. She was doing overhead presses and I just was worried. I really wanted weights though so went on to do Raw Tabata Sculpt, and had to do some modifications. This was 59 minutes(52 actual) heart rate 98/135, 167 calories, 393 steps. I finished off with CDorner Neck and Shoulder mobility stretch, 17 minutes, 24 calories, heart rate 77/97. Total time was 97 minutes, 313 calories, 1,266 steps.

Raw Tabata Sculpt has each movement combo done timed 8 cycles then moves to another combo The workout time is pretty short for each cycle(set)
Warm Up
tabata 1 push up/lunge 8 cycles of this at first it was lunge all right with a push up then it was all left then she alternated sides
1 minute rest
tabata 2 snatch or option curl (which I did) reverse lunge 8 cycles 15#
1 minute rest
tabata 3 scales/row 8 cycles 10# dbs
1 minute rest
tabata 4 upright row/ lateral raise (arms open out) 8# dbs (I started with 8's and dropped to 5's)
1 minute rest
tabata 5 curl/squat/kickback/squat up 10# dbs 8 cycles
1 minute rest
tabata 6 plank on dumbbells/sit through Option is to just hold planks 8 cycles (tough on the front of my shoulders and last set I did just the plank on my forearms)
1 minute rest
tabata 7 pullover/bench press 10# dbs 4 cycles then just skull crusher for 4 cycles
1 minute rest
tabata 8 knees pull in and extend straight 2# ankle weights(mine were 3#) 8 cycles (my hip flexors were screaming by the end)
stretch

Carolyn, I will have to check out those other authors. I use a lot of ginger and tumeric. Tumeric, not as much in cooking, more like adding it to smoothies and I drink the GT's Tumeric Kombucha tea every day as well as take capsules. I use a lot of curry in recipes though. They carry tumeric root in the fruits and vegetable aisles of Sprouts. Not sure I can get it from Whole Foods. I sometimes think I do not get some items, because the shoppers do not know what I am asking for when it comes to things like that. I ordered a bunch of vine ripened tomatoes the last time and the bought me 1 tomato. I am pretty sure they were not out of the vine ripened ones. My husband hates the smell. He says it makes him think of Iraq and the cooks there put curry in everything. Even spaghetti. I need to hunt down some of the mushrooms used in a few of the recipes. It might be easier to have an herb garden than track down the fresh herbs.
I had my Fitbit give me elliptical and sometimes cycling when I did a workout and did not have it set for those movements. I did today's workout using strength and it picked up on triceps. I can go back in and enter specific strength moves, but I don't care that it gave me a whole workout of triceps :)

Valerie, I did not used to care that much for tumeric, but I think I have acquired somewhat of a taste for it in some things. For some reason I thought curry was a mixture of things and tumeric was one of them. I guess I could look that up, as I don't know why I think it.
Clean up after a trip is always tiring to me.

Cathy, mustard and jelly sandwiches !! That does not sound good. I guess sweet and salty kind of go together. My instant Pot is a big one. Air Fryer small and I use it mainly for my husband. Having both in one might be handy.

Judy, I bet you are really enjoying your new workout space. I remember when I went from a tiny tv with a dvd player built in (which is still sitting in the office at this time) to a large Sony flat screen. I guess that is why I cannot do a workout from a laptop. Too small after using the large tv.

Today I did Stacked Sets Upper Body which was 41 minutes with 232 calories burned. Average heart rate was 123 and maximum heart rate was 147.

Cathy, nice work with Live 40/20 and Step Boss Bonus Abs. Your son seems to have very unusual taste buds. Does he like his own creative foods?

Judy, having that large television in your workout room sounds wonderful. Like Diane Sue, I hate streaming from my laptop. Nice work with Live All In Upper Body and Perfect Pump Lower Body.

Diane Sue, great job with Raw Tabata Sculpt, and CDORNER Neck and Shoulder Mobility Stretch. Curry powder is a blend of spices that includes turmeric. It varies from region to region. I can understand your husband not enjoying food that has negative memories for him.

Hello to Valerie and Deb.

I don't use turmeric often anymore. I stopped cooking curry dishes at home. diane sue, I am like your DH. I cant get the curry smell out of my nose no matter how much I clean my cooking area, pots, etc. I think the exhaust fan might be the problem but we can't replace that every time I use curry. running the screen thru the dishwasher doesn't work.. if I buy a premade sauce, heat it, all is OK, so I usually do that now. I like curry a lot but only for the meal. I cant stand the smell for days after. usually that was where I used turmeric, in spice mixes in curry. Costco sometimes has sauces from Maya Kamal and now has premade dishes from Sukhi. (brand names are close to this) so I use those. Add vegies, tofu, chicken depending, and a fast tasty dinner over rice or couscous. I get my curry fix without smelling it for weeks after. DH is not a hug fan of curry but he likes these because they aren't too hot. I can add heat to my serving.

another pass on mustard and jelly sandwiches! no, not happening here either. I like mustard but not like that. cathy sweet of you to pass on the IP. I like a 6 qt. big enough for 2 people.

judy that sounds terrific. I can't imagine working out from a laptop. our TV is not that big but nice to be able to see the screen easily without being right on top of it. my only complaint is all the remotes you need to run everything!

yesterday ended up being unpleasant. traffic was awful. everything took longer than it should have and was harder than it needed to be. one thing after another. got it all done but didnt get home until after 4 so bye bye workout. today for sure.

we had the silly idea we might buy road bikes for MT so we didn't have to carry them back and forth. forget it! bikes are not available right now, even repair parts are scarce.

we try to stay in middle lane. when its a 2 lane highway, a camper or any large vehicle cant stay in the right lane. we tried to comply but as soon as you get out of a busy urban area, merging drivers do not look as they come down the on ramp, and expect right lane traffic will move for them. I didn't do a count, but upwards of 90% of the time. maybe no one takes drivers ed in rural areas or they don't teach it. if you look it up, the rules haven't changed. I looked after the umpteenth time it happened to us. maybe this is a west coast thing? the bigger your vehicle, the harder it is to dodge the merging car, who acts like they have right-of-way, which they do not. truck drivers aren't perfect but they contend with this constantly and I'm sure this causes plenty of wrecks.

I will take a look at the symonds book and also those websites. i always like new ideas in the kitchen,.

Last edited:
Today I did CDorner Step Aerobics basic to intermediate, cardio filmed yesterday, 46 minutes(it says longer but there is about 13 minutes of advertising and chatter, heart rate 143/180, 273 calories, 4,288 steps. I then did CDorner Cardio Mobility while it was live, 31 minutes, heart rate 84/100, 53 calories, 410 steps. Total time was 77 minutes, 326 calories, 4,698 steps.
I liked both workouts. This cardio mobility was much better to me than the last one. More movement by not so difficult as the last one. There was actually some good stretching in there along with the movement.
I made the Zucchini Noodles with corn, tomatoes, dill and feta this evening. I liked it, but think that I should try it with regular feta next time. I used fat free and it seemed really sour or something. I used frozen corn and I really think the fresh would be yummy, but I used what I have. This was another from Fix It with Food by Michael Symons.

This morning I did Low Impact Sweat, workout one, for 27 minutes and 189 calories burned. My average heart rate was 130 and maximum heart rate was 151.

Valerie, I never make curries, but I use turmeric in many other foods and in ginger tea. I also have a Frontier Co-Op Turmeric Twist sweet blend that is good on roasted sweet potatoes and butternut squash. It has cinnamon, ginger and black pepper in it.

Diane Sue, nice job with your CDORNER workouts. I took another look at Fix It with Food and decided to order it. The information in the book as well as some of the recipes interest me.

Hello to Judy, Cathy, and Deb.

we mt biked this morning, 2 hours. it was tough but fun. 4 miles uphill and then 4 miles back down. down goes much faster! too many people this morning, a lot of roads very messy from logging when its wet. lots of uneven ruts to deal with. we are afraid of getting squeezed out of using this place by too many 20 somethings who don't bother having jobs. they were rude, aggressive and obnoxious. no wonder horse people don't like bikes. I'm a biker and even I don't like them. not all are like that, but this group was.

I tried looking at that book but amazon doesn't have the "look inside" feature they used to have for books. or at least not for this one. I dont buy books that focus on meat so I will hold off on this until I see him on food network and decide if it might still be useful. I don't like tea ( I keep trying) and don't like sweet seasoning on sweet potatoes or squash. I may give it a try anyway. I might like it fine if there isn't any added sugar.

Valerie, I was able to look inside of the book on Amazon. I did that twice today before I purchased. Micheal Symon’s other cookbooks are probably meat focused since he does a lot of that type cooking. This book, Fix It With Food, is very different. Give it another look if you get a chance. The turmeric blend isn’t sweet. Cinnamon is probably the reason that it is called “sweet blend” since cinnamon has a hint of natural sweetness. They also have a savory blend that might appeal to you.

Yesterday I did Live Lower Body Barre Blend. I liked it a lot. Fast paced and has good variety. Today was shopping as tomorrow I’m walking at the zoo in the morning going to my parents in the afternoon. Nick does eat the weird things he creates. That was my rule, you make it, you eat it. I wish the boys had split the difference on taste buds. Nick has nothing he does’t like and Derek has tons. I use turmeric a fair but not a curry fan at all. I’ll put a little bit in somethings, but my tolerance for it is pretty low. Decided I’d better look into reservations for when I move Derek back to NMU in August and holy cow! The room I stayed at over last fall/winter is $190 more per night then. Found a room near it for only $50 more. I knew in season would be more but that’s crazy. It’s not that good!

Judy your new workout space sounds great! Nice job on the All in Upper Body and Perfect Pump Lower Body. Great combo!

Diane Sue, great workout combo you put together!

Carolyn nice job with the Low Impact Sweat!

Valerie great that you got a good ride in today! Biker’s like that are super annoying and people take their attitude towards them and aim it at everyone on bikes. Which is totally unfair, but sadly not surprising.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.